I'd love to cut a bit of firewood, but...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think there is going to be a lot of people who will have problems getting in to the woods. I'm north of you and I have a problem with the mud. I hate to stack the logs in the mud and later have the mud freeze on the logs. I never touched up a chain on my saws as much as I do now.
I cut a line fence across the road from us and I had to give that up for now. They plowed the field and now it's pure mud. I took the snow off of our wood area so the ground would freeze at night. I can go out there until the sun heats up the area and then I'm done for the day. I have one supplier that brings two log cord at a time and needs to get here early and the other guy brings 5 cords at a time and he can't get to his wood. Talking upper 40's for next week and rain for a few days...
Logs.jpg

...the friggin' ground won't freeze‼
I have spring-time mud here.

Same situation over here. Took a few day's off before we got the snow. Skidded and hauled what I could. Kicked myself at the time for taking off work. But now that the ground is so soft. I am very glad I did.
The snow is long gone but the mud is going to be here for a while. I hope the frost comes soon. I need to get all my cutting done by early February.

Steven.

I am in the same boat ( almost literally ) last year we had frozen ground by mid December with 6 inch's of snow .It was great cutting for me I use a Kubota and Farmi Winch no treading in knee deep snow no mud. This year we had about 3 17* mornings and it started to freeze then we get 40* It thaws and we get a day of rain and 2 nights of rain and today will be 50*..... You get the picture. I am hunting Black Powder and walking is very slimy slippery mess. It sucks.

You allergic to mud?
No... but I find no enjoyment in sloggin' around in ankle-deep mud, my boots weighing 40 pounds each, mud-caked firewood, ruts cut deep in my woodlot trails and roads, wet gloves, wet cloths, and what should be a two hour job becoming an all-day job.

No thank you...

Same problem here too. I still need 4 or 5 loads of wood to get through this winter but the weather has just been horrible every time it strats to dry up during the week it rains or something on Friday so I cant get to the woods on the weekend. I even went out and cut a load of wood in the dark with my son holding a flashlight on the saw for me. That was a bad idea as well. I need to sharpen that chain now after one use. Think I am going to go out in the morning while there is still a crust on top and see if I can get something cut and hauled out before it get greasy again. Its only 8:30 and its already that way today.

I'd love to cut a bit of firewood, but I think I will spend the morning restacking a 30' long by 7' high row of split Ash that completely fell over except for the bottom couple of rows. Guess I will get an extra round of heat out of these above and beyond the normal handling.

Not a problem Got all the wood to the house in Sept and Oct when it was still fairly dry. Not even going to try to go cut any for next winter. I chipped and shredded a bunch of mulch and laid it down on the path to the pole barn before the muddiness arrived. Kare said I would just track the chips in instead of the mud but that isn't happening.
If your hunting and picking up a bunch of mud, Just stay in the leaves and off the bare ground.

:D Al

If I had more time I'd be starting on next year's processing now. The added bonus would be the deer could browse the tops over the winter.

A bit muddy here, but not too bad. Have been cutting down some standing dying trees before they turn to mush. Got probably a little over half of what I will need to burn in 2018-19 cut up into rounds on pallets. I like to get a jump on my supply to split in March/April.

Had his years wood and most of next years wood in the shed in July. I've picked up about 2.5cords the last couple of weeks and just piled it up beside the wood shed. I'll get around to working it up when the weather turns back warm and dry. In the mean time, I will just keep picking up free, easily accessible wood, when I find it.

Same here we don't start dragging until the ground it frozen less big ruts to have to fix.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20151205_093043.jpg Muddy here too in s.e. wi. It's been frosty most mornings ,But gets muddy by 9. Used the mule today to get some wood. The tractors would make a big mess. It's not suppose to rain for a while so it might actually dry out, before it freezes.

Latest posts

Back