If you could choose ony 2 chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do it over again

This question comes with strings attached. I think what 2 saws you would want to own are dictated by the wood you want to cut. I personally have a 90cc saw and a 45cc unit. But now I just ran into alot of super large oaks, and I need a larger saw. If I was to do it over again, I would buy a 100+cc saw and a 60-70cc saw. And throw in a chinaman limber to boot.

I agree. With a MS650 and an 028, it jus doesn't quite cut it. Two larger saws, with a selection of bars, chains & sprockets would cover all eventualities.

You guys with the big saw + bigger saw ideas have some screws loose.

For years, the 290 Stihl and 271 Olympik cut all my wood, with the 271 only getting hauled out for the big stuff, too freakin heavy for regular hoisting when it wasn't needed.

Little 280 Echo got used in the tractor bucket trimming branches on fencelines, but never got to go along on woodcutting missions, as it was a finicky, hard starting POS in the cold before a carb rebuild after I found this site last winter. 2 years ago I bought the 170, as I was starting to get fat and old and didn't care to be limbing over my head with the 290 much anymore.

When I got the 7300 this spring, I thought I'd died and gone to heaven. More power than the 271, and no heavier than the 290. I'm getting ready for a new saw this fall, and leaning toward a 5100. The 2 Dolmars could be all I need, or if REALLY pressed, either would be an acceptable "only" GASP! saw.

Luckily, I see no reason to have LESS saws, but I can make a good case for MORE!!!!

I'm up enjoying the site. Yes, I know how old this thread is. So maybe someone else wants to read or add. Saw threads never die. Well not in my book.
At 71, my saw needs tend to go lighter, I cut less but still work a few times a week. I've moved from Sthil to Echo's. I use my Echo 352 often but, If I were forced to choose only 2 saws I'd choose Echo 490 and Echo 590. The 490 kinda reminds me of the old Sthil 026, but newer and the 590 with 28 inch bar takes down the bigger old Sweet gums and oak. Don't get me wrong, I use other saws just saying IF I were forced to choose only 2. Good day.

I've got a Dolmar PS 421, handles the limbing and the little end of the trees I fell. And, my Dolmar PS 6100 handles the felling and the trunk bucking. Whichever saw I'm currently running, the other sits there drooling over its next chance to shine!

That leaves a very capable PS 510 sitting on a shelf waiting for me to decide to give it a tankful of exercise.

Two saws like haveing to choose between a wheel borrow or a little red radio flyer to haul wood in.

Since My old husky 162SE will handle a 20 inch bar easy and I have no need for any thing bigger that wouyld be saw # 1 with out buying one.

Have fallen in love with my little Echo CS 400 and it cuts so good I find I pick it most of thre time to cut fire wood and that would be saw # 2.

If I were to buy 2 new saws the Echo CS 400 would still be in there. and a Echo CS 800P so I could chain saw mill as well as fall trees with it.

:D Al

Husky 562 is light and nimble enough for the smaller stuff and can handle the big stuff if needed. Teamed up with a 288 they would be the two I kept if I could only keep 2

Unless I am only working in extremely large wood, one of the saws will be a 550 or 346.

Then for the large stuff either a 385/390 (or red equivalent), 372, 7900 Dolmar, or 40 series Stihl.

If I am cutting smaller stuff I would take a light 35-40 cc saw with low pro chain.

Back