If you could choose ony 2 chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what would you keep or buy. You hear a lot said about this saw is all you need for firewood.Thats bull crap,we or (most of us anyway) don't get to pick and choose our wood supply, we take whats available.So how wood u make do if 2 was all you could sneak past yer wife or girl?

Why just two?

I couldn't imagine trying to be sneaky. It wouldn't be much of a relationship.
I don't care what my wife buys with her money and she doesn't care what I buy with my money. I don't have to account to her for my spending and she doesn't to me. I don't look over her shoulder and she doesn't look over mine. We pay our bills, save, and each have our own money for what we want. We also both work.
We consult on the larger joint financial decisions.

Welcome to AS RayJohns, that sounds like a great setup, that 260 will even pull a 20" bar. I never priced a MS260, instead focused on the 250 and ended up picking up a used 025. Really like the 250 and image the 260 would be a ton better and only 10.6 lbs dry. Hope you find plenty of interesting threads to read and join in, this is a Great place to hang out.

Thanks! :)

Ray

Im running the J red 910 and 450 works good for me. If I had the money a 385 and a 365 husky. We use the husky 385/365 combo on the yard at the mill.

id second this---as mine would be a 945 and a 970 oly--im partial---the 970 will easy pull a 24 inch bar--thats a 48 inch tree--and most people dont want to handle one that big---and the 945 is a screamer--and will pull the 18 bar with 325 chain easy, and much lighter--

It's nice that this thread starts with an "if", so the discussion for everybody is just hypothetical. But I went through this for real when I got divorced 15 years ago.

I needed cash and I had to sell most of my saws. I think I had 15 or 17 at the time. Most of them were Solos which is what we were selling at the time. Couple of Olympyks and three Dolmars. I would probably make a different call now, but I decided to keep just two of the smaller Solos, 644 and 651pro. The 651 was, and still is, a favorite, and could really handle most of my firewood needs. I chose the 644 because bars and chains, along with most parts would fit the 651. Plus, selling the bigger saws would bring more cash.

So, for 5 or 6 years, I cut all my firewood with those two saws. I probably used the 651 80% of the time and the 644 the other 20%. They usually had 16" on them, but I'd put an 18" on the 651 if needed. I'll admit that I wasn't the power addict that I am now, but the truth is that those saws took care of my needs very well. So, it kind of shoots down the theory that you can't get by with a 50cc saw.:givebeer:

Yes, I wish that I had some of those that got away.:(

Since I already had to do this for real, I just can't bring myself to pick just two again, so can I be excused from this excercise?????
agree--for many years i only had a 254 oly--just had to know the limits of the saw--and work accordingly---

My 2 cents...

:popcorn: It was my 137 and L65 for the longest time. Now I use my 137 and 288xp and the 65 ether stays in the truck or at home. But I ordered a Stihl 260 Pro, so soon it will probably be the 260 Pro and the 288xp Husky, although I would use the 2100CD more often (it has a wrap handle -would like to get for the 288), but it only comes out for the really big stuff or because I feel like annoying the neighbors. Just my 2 cents...

I was to continue to sell fire wood only I'd keep my 044 and ms660, however I need a smaller saw some times in the brush , on ditchbanks, general treework done on the side which sometimes puts me in awkward cutting situations.

Husqvarna 346Xp and 372XP.Was thinking maybe 346Xp/Dolmar 7900.My next saw is going to be a 372 or 7900.Leaning towards the 7900 more saw for the buck+ light weight for a big saw.

Old Husqvarnas

How bout a couple of old, bone stock, well maintained Huskies. 272xp w/20" bar and a 394xp w/24" bar (and a 'spare' 36 inch bar with a couple sharp loops of chain). Problems solved, every time.

Oh, and I agree with the previous poster that mentioned "beer oil for lower operating temperatures."

Hell yeah!!

Why just two?

I couldn't imagine trying to be sneaky. It wouldn't be much of a relationship.
I don't care what my wife buys with her money and she doesn't care what I buy with my money. I don't have to account to her for my spending and she doesn't to me. I don't look over her shoulder and she doesn't look over mine. We pay our bills, save, and each have our own money for what we want. We also both work.
We consult on the larger joint financial decisions.
1st cav 69-70infantry

1st cav 69-70infantry

I did intelligence work. We worked from Phu Bai to Khe San thru the A Shau Valley to Hamburger Hill.
There were 11,000 North Viet Nam soldiers to try to keep track of. We provided direct support to the infantry. Many times we were able to warn an infantry squad of an impeding attack.

Hope life if good for you now.

I did intelligence work. We worked from Phu Bai to Khe San thru the A Shau Valley to Hamburger Hill.
There were 11,000 North Viet Nam soldiers to try to keep track of. We provided direct support to the infantry. Many times we were able to warn an infantry squad of an impeding attack.

Hope life if good for you now.
you may have had a hand in me still being here, my thanks

Only two saws... that is the very question I've been asking myself lately. I don't get into the real big stuff very often so I thought something smaller to complement the 361. But thats no fun. Used a 066 before and that's like holding a pushmower up to a tree...Been looking at the 372xp lately, so tonight I'll say that one(It'll change tomorrow!)

Dang CAD!

two 372's

Let's see.. I''ll take two 372's. That's what I was thinking anyhow.

Back