If you could choose ony 2 chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I let her run my OE 346XP and still too heavy...was my first idea!

I really do think that we must be related somehow. I cut/split my inlaws winter wood (about 12 bush cord) for the past few years, big old farmhouse with two wood stoves and a wood furnace. So my wife likes to work along side and she really likes to use the little 3800 Redmax.

http://www.redmax.com/node3937.aspx?pid=90271

Now I've only had it a year and it is quite abit less power than the 346xp but it cuts all right for what it is and is also about 2 lbs lighter than the 346 and has been reliable so far. I really don't know what they are like but the 339xp interested me for awhile for her until I got the 3800.

Been burning wood for 40 years, and have never heard of a bush cord;please elaborate.

Where I am from Central Ontario Canada, most people call a cord of wood 4ft by 8ft by 12" to 16". This is really a face cord or rick or..., and a "cord" is really a full or bush cord 4ft by 4ft by 8ft. Since so many people around here get confused with just the word "cord" I have grown accustomed to quantifying the amount with "face cord" or "bush cord".

As I guessed.I like it.Another one that seems to be passing from common use is "kitchen cord".No wonder people think their woodman is out to cheat them! I had an old timer tell me that the standard rule for stacking cordwood was "could you throw a cat" through the gaps.

2 saws

well might as well throw my 2 cents in .
036 cause its light --12lbs and 4.4 hp
066 cause it can handle the big stuff ,it can run 20 inch bar or a 36
and for the average firewood guy both will last years

now wheres my 2 cents ... cough it up...:popcorn:

This question comes with strings attached. I think what 2 saws you would want to own are dictated by the wood you want to cut. I personally have a 90cc saw and a 45cc unit. But now I just ran into alot of super large oaks, and I need a larger saw. If I was to do it over again, I would buy a 100+cc saw and a 60-70cc saw. And throw in a chinaman limber to boot.

My Choice

Well
my 009L with 14 inch bar - climbing and light limbing
my 460 with both 20" & 28" bar

Regrets >>> wish i'd bought a 660 I think

will be getting a 260 Pro soon I hope :( :( :(

Do you think if I went to an 8 pin with my 28" bar I'd loose to much bottom end???

Thanks coog

I figured as much ... no I haven't gone to dual port muffler as yet. I spoke to my dealer about it who said that dual port would only make it louder with no real improvment in power and could really screw up carb so I have been researching it for my self.

What!! I can't get another saw...EVER!

It's taken me awhile to get to this point, but I love the combo I have now.<BR> 25" bar on the 039<BR>36" bar on the 064, :cheers:

Homelites

Homelite 330 and a ..............prolly XL2 for little stuff or is it Homelite 330 and a.............Super XLAO for bigger stuff or is it a Homelite 330 and a............550 for the BIG stuff? Could we start a 3 or 4 or 5 saw plan thread?

346xpg and 372xpgw does everything needed for me at this time, though the 346xpg is woods ported and now i wish to do the same to the 372xpgw but even stock they are a great pair of saws :)

Think I'm gonna hold out and look for a 242XP for her. Anyone have one they wish to part with?
It's a real problem when the wife wants her own saw!I have been married less than a month. I was thinking 401 Dolmar, she had seen the small Efcos on Bailey's and liked them, I really wanted a small Jred lol
I was cleaning up the garage and saw's when she spotted my little Mac. Ah correction Her little Mac now!

It's nice that this thread starts with an "if", so the discussion for everybody is just hypothetical. But I went through this for real when I got divorced 15 years ago.

I needed cash and I had to sell most of my saws. I think I had 15 or 17 at the time. Most of them were Solos which is what we were selling at the time. Couple of Olympyks and three Dolmars. I would probably make a different call now, but I decided to keep just two of the smaller Solos, 644 and 651pro. The 651 was, and still is, a favorite, and could really handle most of my firewood needs. I chose the 644 because bars and chains, along with most parts would fit the 651. Plus, selling the bigger saws would bring more cash.

So, for 5 or 6 years, I cut all my firewood with those two saws. I probably used the 651 80% of the time and the 644 the other 20%. They usually had 16" on them, but I'd put an 18" on the 651 if needed. I'll admit that I wasn't the power addict that I am now, but the truth is that those saws took care of my needs very well. So, it kind of shoots down the theory that you can't get by with a 50cc saw.:givebeer:

Yes, I wish that I had some of those that got away.:(

Since I already had to do this for real, I just can't bring myself to pick just two again, so can I be excused from this excercise?????

It's nice that this thread starts with an "if", so the discussion for everybody is just hypothetical. But I went through this for real when I got divorced 15 years ago.

I needed cash and I had to sell most of my saws. I think I had 15 or 17 at the time. Most of them were Solos which is what we were selling at the time. Couple of Olympyks and three Dolmars. I would probably make a different call now, but I decided to keep just two of the smaller Solos, 644 and 651pro. The 651 was, and still is, a favorite, and could really handle most of my firewood needs. I chose the 644 because bars and chains, along with most parts would fit the 651. Plus, selling the bigger saws would bring more cash.

So, for 5 or 6 years, I cut all my firewood with those two saws. I probably used the 651 80% of the time and the 644 the other 20%. They usually had 16" on them, but I'd put an 18" on the 651 if needed. I'll admit that I wasn't the power addict that I am now, but the truth is that those saws took care of my needs very well. So, it kind of shoots down the theory that you can't get by with a 50cc saw.:givebeer:

Yes, I wish that I had some of those that got away.:(

Since I already had to do this for real, I just can't bring myself to pick just two again, so can I be excused from this excercise?????
What you say is true! My home was not paid for 15 years ago I did not have the income I do now so CAD was out of the question. I did all my cutting with a 3.7 Eager beaver same saw as a 610. I did have my little Eager beaver as back up and used it many times as my main saw all 32 cc of it!
Then I got crazy and bought the 105 off a neighbor, who was moving back to the west cost I new him all my life as the guy that liked saw's! The 105 is twice the saw I will ever need! but as I grew older and dummer I cant stop myself It is a good thing I do not live in saw country.
When you are just starting out a mid size 50-60cc saw and a tiny one 30-35cc are tough to beat.
It's just like hunting rifles always bring two even if the back up is a 80 year old 45/70 beats throwing rocks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back