If You Could Only Have One Chainsaw Forever...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Add another vote for the 361. I got mine new, did a Lakeside muff mod, and love it.

Only thing I don't love is the oiler, which was replaced twice under warranty and still sucks. I may eventually replace the oiler with a high-volume 460 oiler, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ran an MS250 for 20yrs as my only saw and loved it ….. until I found this place …..

Now I’d have to saw my 044 mag hands down. Heavier than the 250 but punches way above its class when needed. The 066 is great but a heavy sob. Honestly though I still reach for the 250 when doing anything under 14”. It’s a great little saw that has cut hundreds of cord of wood with almost no issues. So it’s still the 044 but I’d give the rest of them to someone close by to borrow back lol

So far, the 500i. I have had it since 2021. Too early to tell how well it will hold up. But the power is incredible for its weight.

What about an 015L and a box of parts for it?
I'm sure you know I was just ribbing you -- though I'd love to have a 261 my 011 is nowhere near an even trade. Your 015 is too close to what I already have. A non-running 60-70cc saw (for example 034S/036) would be tempting.

OP said favorite, forever, implying “one” and listed 2. So,,,,, my favorite would be, 036 Pro, 028 super, Makita 520i, Echo 360t, Homey XL. But I only use one at a time. All bought used. Not gonna spend real money on the newest, latest, greatest. Just sayin. I do buy new jeans and shoes now and again.

What were the differences between the Australian 066/660 and the American version? Less emissions restrictions?
They were a totally different machine. The US 660 was a dog. The Australian was a beast - one of the most loved stihl saws out here by chainsaw lovers. I’ll let someone with more knowledge on the differences chime in, I believe port timing was different and the aussi had dual port exhaust, high output oiler probably a different carby. We weren’t limited by californias crap.

Back