if you could only have one saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would choose a hacksaw with a fine metal blade for the small stuff and a aggressive wood blade for the bigger stuff. Simple and economical yet reliable!
What about a 2-man cross buck saw with Mariusz Pudzianowsky on the other end of it:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KUcXvwYOEXk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KUcXvwYOEXk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hey Wood doctor, Is it raining or snowing over there yet? Rain here since about noon.
Slight rain with lots of wind. No droplets between 10 am and 2 pm, but now we have some sprinkles. I worked all morning splitting a bunch of mulberry, ash, and red elm. Three cords are now drying for next year, so I'm about half way home.

Tomorrow's the big lousy day--3" to 6" of wet snow. Northeast Iowa and Sioux Falls are supposed to get a foot of heavy, wet, white stuff.

Easy decision for me as I have only ever owned the MS341 I have now. I am very happy with it and it has done every thing I have needed it to. The more this wood cutting thing grows on me the more desire I have to own the big boy (880):greenchainsaw:

Anybody mentioned the MS361 yet!!?:clap::deadhorse: If you don't have to cut wood over 20 inches wide or so, a 60 cc class saw is all you would ever need. Need and want are two different things, though.:givebeer:

Last edited:
I'll kick the same horse.........
If you're working alone, without the aide of 'big' equipment, I believe an MS 361 would be the best single choice to reliably handle most anything you can get into the truck, and to stay in service well beyond the surrender point of the lesser tools.
Opinions may vary, but not by much.

Woods ported 262XP:)
Seems to be the only saw i use now lol

I cut a little over a cord of wood with it today the sawing only took 20 mins from logs to blocks! The axe work took longer though:greenchainsaw:

Back