If You Had to Choose Between These Two Makita Saws...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deer Camp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to buy either a used Makita DCS 540 for around $200 or a new Canadian DCS 5200i for $500 plus $50 s&h.

For starters, I do not need either saw but have been looking to add a DCS 520 line saw to the stable for some time. This line may not be the most powerful but sure are reliable, easy to work on and at about 10 lbs. make a great 50cc saw.

I like the idea of a new saw but $500 is a lot of money that could be used elsewhere. To be honest, this is a CAD purchase.

For those of you with experience with either model, I am interested your thoughts.

Sincerely,

I have a pair of 540s, and after a MM and retune, they run pretty strong. If the 540 is in good shape, it seems like it should be a much better deal. $550 for a 520 seems awfully high.

I have an opportunity to buy either a used Makita DCS 540 for around $200 or a new Canadian DCS 5200i for $500 plus $50 s&h.

For starters, I do not need either saw but have been looking to add a DCS 520 line saw to the stable for some time. This line may not be the most powerful but sure are reliable, easy to work on and at about 10 lbs. make a great 50cc saw.

I like the idea of a new saw but $500 is a lot of money that could be used elsewhere. To be honest, this is a CAD purchase.

For those of you with experience with either model, I am interested your thoughts.

Sincerely,

Buy the $200 540, send to porting school, and be far happier than the 5200......

The DCS 540 surprises me some that the power is on par with the 520 but the displacement is larger. I suppose I should pocket the difference and get some bar and chain combos.

The 5200i being new in the box is intriguing though. I would probably make it a shelf queen.

Latest posts

Back