If you were to buy a 70 cc saw tomorrow which one

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Resale value means nothing to the guys that buy these saws to work with.

e

I donno, when I made a living with one I sure enjoyed running them for 1/2 a season and being able to sell it for 2/3 of new and buy a new one. Kinda like a pickup. Once the Av started to loosen or i thought it wasn’t as strong as new. Sell it to a weekend warrior and Always got great feedback. I felt like I stayed in a new one cheap. But it sure makes me Leary of used ones in nice shape. You can keep one nice using a case and waxing it.

I always said bigger cc saws the better. The low end is the husky 266/268 the high end is the 288. If I was starting out today (I’m retired) i pick s used 2100 and rebuild it or I still pick a new 395xp saw.

I still look at the Husqvarna and jonsered Swede chain saws. Too bad Partner and Jonsered aren’t keeping up with husky.

I donno, when I made a living with one I sure enjoyed running them for 1/2 a season and being able to sell it for 2/3 of new and buy a new one. Kinda like a pickup. Once the Av started to loosen or i thought it wasn’t as strong as new. Sell it to a weekend warrior and Always got great feedback. I felt like I stayed in a new one cheap. But it sure makes me Leary of used ones in nice shape. You can keep one nice using a case and waxing it.

You are in the minority...I don't know a single guy in the tree service business (and I know quite a few) that buys a chainsaw and wonders what he can sell it for after the season..more often than not it's trashed/worth peanuts and ends up in the mass grave of saws and stripped for parts when need be.

Like I said..I want a 681 to admire and polish but I'd never let the gorilla's I work with use and abuse it..parts supply doesn't exist where I live.

I wasn't even close to my 250K estimate, my boss did 74 grand last month, chainsaws become a pretty insignificant purchase at that point. Plus he's not into chainsaws like we are..it's just a tool in his eyes.

You totally lost me on selling one with bagged A/V or lost power and getting great feedback. also being leary of used ones in nice shape.

I'm confused, help me out.

You are in the minority...I don't know a single guy in the tree service business (and I know quite a few) that buys a chainsaw and wonders what he can sell it for after the season..more often than not it's trashed/worth peanuts and ends up in the mass grave of saws and stripped for parts when need be.

Like I said..I want a 681 to admire and polish but I'd never let the gorilla's I work with use and abuse it..parts supply doesn't exist where I live.

I wasn't even close to my 250K estimate, my boss did 74 grand last month, chainsaws become a pretty insignificant purchase at that point. Plus he's not into chainsaws like we are..it's just a tool in his eyes.

Wish more would read this post and understand we are a community of enthusiasts, often our priorities are defined and driven by online personalities, and our priorities are a bit different than most who would buy those pro saws. Said this in another forum and got grief, but the folks who I support couldn't care less about cookies or a 1/2 second per cut difference in a cant. BUT we do, its fun and part of our hobby/Motorsport. The ones that go through my shop are more impressed if it start in two pulls instead of four cold, first pull hot instead of two. And lasts until skidder modified still starting easy and running well. Power, good power is a good thing too. :) Support is everything. After the new and the bling & novelty is gone it has to work, parts to keep it working and some place to drop it off and pick it up while they continue to work is really important. I have an arrangement with a few....always have a few saws in the rotation, I fix the ones that are dropped off..quickly...when the next saw breaks they bring it in and swap for the completed saw and I fix THAT one quickly. Sometimes I don't see them for a month, sometimes the next day. But when ever they show up, the saw is ready. Every time I start in with the lathe and the popup's. I see that "glaze" and they start in with the "yeah..yeah..where is my saw" thing.

Me? I'm going back to my roots and digging out those old Mac's and Homie's along with Red Jonsereds. Have a pile of them accumulated that got left for dead...so fun for me will first getting them running, and my "mod" energy will be spent getting them running well and looking good...that where I want to go with the hobby, why I first joined this forum back in 2004...I'll go watch the races to scratch the high rpm itch.. or maybe watch some I build for friends.

You totally lost me on selling one with bagged A/V or lost power and getting great feedback. also being leary of used ones in nice shape.

I'm confused, help me out.
AV gets worn pretty simple. Not trashed, but where you can tell if you run one.
The motor looses compression at some point. Once they started the downhill slide under 140 is time to swap. Not blown up, just the rings wear and top performance is lost.
The thing will live a good while still in the hands of a casual user, and they don’t notice the little things.
I know $100 would put a new piston in and Av parts. But if you’ve ever run one past needing a piston from wear you’ll remember how it started to require a good few parts to keep it going.

As for feedback I sold 10 or so on eBay before people used their cell phone and didn’t look at the pics of stuff. Never a complaint. I sold atleast as many local to casual wood cutters. I actually got to tune the first stihl I owned the otherday. An 036, looked very rough and didn’t run super now either.

I can’t imagine trying to make a living with a saw that’s starting to eat parts when you could sell it before it get to that point and get in a new one. Maybe that’s not possible today since online shoppers tend to have unrealistic standards for used item. I enjoy tinkering with them now that wood is only 25% of my income.

AV gets worn pretty simple. Not trashed, but where you can tell if you run one.
The motor looses compression at some point. Once they started the downhill slide under 140 is time to swap. Not blown up, just the rings wear and top performance is lost.
The thing will live a good while still in the hands of a casual user, and they don’t notice the little things.
I know $100 would put a new piston in and Av parts. But if you’ve ever run one past needing a piston from wear you’ll remember how it started to require a good few parts to keep it going.

As for feedback I sold 10 or so on eBay before people used their cell phone and didn’t look at the pics of stuff. Never a complaint. I sold atleast as many local to casual wood cutters. I actually got to tune the first stihl I owned the otherday. An 036, looked very rough and didn’t run super now either.

I can’t imagine trying to make a living with a saw that’s starting to eat parts when you could sell it before it get to that point and get in a new one. Maybe that’s not possible today since online shoppers tend to have unrealistic standards for used item. I enjoy tinkering with them now that wood is only 25% of my income.

I can appreciate where you're comin from.

But having parts saws laying around has saved our asses more than the couple hundred bucks would have from selling a beat up chainsaw.

Funny, because the source of many of my channel "projects" are those very piles of broken saws traded for a repair job...every one wins....they get more "value" than they would at the scrap dealer, and I get raw material for the hobby...the 6 Stihl 441's in the garage right now is one of those piles, ALL the channel 372's were, and the 385/390's as well....:)

I never give a sh!t what anyone buys.

It's not my money or my problem, like I said..dealer support is my thing..maybe it's not for other people..I don't give 2 sh!ts either way.

But the stories people give to influence a cyber strangers chainsaw purchase are hilarious :laugh:
Funny, because the source of many of my channel "projects" are those very piles of broken saws traded for a repair job...every one wins....they get more "value" than they would at the scrap dealer, and I get raw material for the hobby...the 6 Stihl 441's in the garage right now is one of those piles, ALL the channel 372's were, and the 385/390's as well....:)
Good clean hobby. Hobby is clean, saws are rarely clean.

Latest posts

Back