I'll never need a bigger saw (wrong!)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get a lot of satisfaction running the big saws and tossing chips yards away. It was only 8 years ago, I was running a 42cc Poulon and had no idea how to sharpen a chain. My crap saw was smoking in the wood, and I had no idea what was wrong or that anything was wrong. A neighbor came over with his large Stihl, and cut logs 3 times bigger in 1/5 the time. My eyes became wide open.

Small saws cut small things, Big saws cut all things.

I get a lot of satisfaction running the big saws and tossing chips yards away. It was only 8 years ago, I was running a 42cc Poulon and had no idea how to sharpen a chain. My crap saw was smoking in the wood, and I had no idea what was wrong or that anything was wrong. A neighbor came over with his large Stihl, and cut logs 3 times bigger in 1/5 the time. My eyes became wide open.

Small saws cut small things, Big saws cut all things.

Agreed on the big saws - lots of fun! Getting to run a 462 yesterday was quite a treat. It's a really impressive saw. Smooth and powerful, and surprisingly light. The big bars make it nose heavy, but that really wasn't a problem bucking. And it didn't even blink when we buried a 32" bar with full comp chain in that oak.

That saw is plenty big enough for that log if its done right

500i is recalled

I agree my 362 with a 20'' bar does everything I need it to. Now to be fair I don't fell trees but I can cut 48'' logs once they are on the ground and it's not about speed but technique and how you make your cuts.

I agree my 362 with a 20'' bar does everything I need it to. Now to be fair I don't fell trees but I can cut 48'' logs once they are on the ground and it's not about speed but technique and how you make your cuts.

Sure, but none of those points help me justify buying a bigger saw. :crazy::laugh::dizzy:

Sure, but none of those points help me justify buying a bigger saw. :crazy::laugh::dizzy:

Time is money and if anything you’re time is more valuable. Getting a bigger saw will cost more money but save you in time... and getting multiple saws such as 462, 661, 500i, 880...each with its own bar and chain for different trees or parts of tree will save even more time from swapping bars and sharpening in the field...

So really if your time is even more valuable then obviously getting more saws and bigger saws is worth more than the cost of the saw and fully justified.

I can't justify a 500i either. If I had $1500 or more just burning a hole in my pocket, hell yeah. I'd also like to buy an Austin Martin DB11.

Does this come stock with a chainsaw scabbard for the rear?
aston_martin_db11_amr_china_grey_23945.jpg

I'm happy with a 066 and 056M.

Biggest tree I dropped was a 52" DBH white ash. That was with a Homelite super XL w/24" bar. It bucked the tree up too, and it still runs good, ~45 years old

That before I owned a Stihl. My 038s take care of anything bigger than a pecker pole now.

I'm happy with a 066 and 056M.

Biggest tree I dropped was a 52" DBH white ash. That was with a Homelite super XL w/24" bar. It bucked the tree up too, and it still runs good, ~45 years old

That before I owned a Stihl. My 038s take care of anything bigger than a pecker pole now.

I’ve got an 056magii and very happy with it. One of if not my favorite saw!

That’s why I’ll always have the husky 285/385/2100 in my line up. Nice to have the torque monsters waiting on the side lines for the big tree work.

I’m looking at a 661 to compliment my 660 :). And an 880 for milking. Or all for milking but I want to find a good used 661

Latest posts

Back