I'm so ashamed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vwboomer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I went out of town for a dual sport ride this past weekend and stayed at a state park. I didn't think we were gonna spend much time there so I didn't try to sneak any wood in.

Turns out after the ride and dinner a couple of us went to our site. we had to....buy....wood........at the .....gas station :buttkick:

How humiliating when I have 8 or 10 cords at home.

I don't see that ash borers or oak wilt or anything else would stick with wood dead and seasoned for 2 years . ah well. ON the ride we rode past many awesome piles of wood anyway!

You have no cause to be ashamed. You did the right thing. Bringing your own wood when it might contribute to the spread of disease and insects is cause to be ashamed.

Ian

You have no cause to be ashamed. You did the right thing. Bringing your own wood when it might contribute to the spread of disease and insects is cause to be ashamed.

Ian

yes, I don't want to cause any problems. But would borers actually live in dead split wood for 2 years? I'm asking in seriousness because I don't know. I realize some people would cut down their wood and then go camping.

I did get a kick out of the labeling on the bags. '1 cubic foot by volume'. Because cubic measurement could mean something other than volume?
So for my 1/128th (by volume of course) of a cord of wood I paid $5.

We have the same thing here in Minnesota. My friend lives one mile from the park and we can not use his wood. Maybe it's a good thing in most areas but in this area the trees are all infected but rules are rules..

Kind'a hurts to pay top bucks for a little bundle of wood when you have 10 cords at home and 80a of woods just down the road. It's kind'a like deer hunting. On one side of the road we had a special doe hunt last weekend and on the other side of the road you can't hunt for two more weeks. We have land on both sides of the road.

I'd like to find the guy who taught our deer to read a map. :angry:

We camp a lot, I always keep a hand saw in the camper or truck with us. You usually dont have to walk far, even in a campground to find a few dead limbs or logs. Since I am the smart one and brought the saw, I can usually convince others to do the cutting. A couple beers and buddies and everyone wants a turn at cutting up a log.

But would borers actually live in dead split wood for 2 years? I'm asking in seriousness because I don't know.

I don't know either. How long will oak wilt live on dead wood? Seems like that would be more of a risk than the bugs.

Ian

We camp a lot, I always keep a hand saw in the camper or truck with us. You usually dont have to walk far, even in a campground to find a few dead limbs or logs. Since I am the smart one and brought the saw, I can usually convince others to do the cutting. A couple beers and buddies and everyone wants a turn at cutting up a log.

Most state parks absolutely will not allow this anywhere. You're supposed to leave all trees, dead or alive, as they are (that goes will everything else too, not just trees).

Don't feel ashamed. You bought some good old natural wood.....and a fellow arborist may have been the one cutting, splitting and bundling it up.

Now if you had gone out and bought some Duraflame logs for your camp fire you might should feel ashamed!

You are hereby instructed turn in your man card to the nearest Stihl dealer.

Your saws will be distributed among the real men here at AS.

You will undergo therapy sessions at Walkers BBQ and Grill, and enroll for man classes at Ljute Inc. (Send a PM to Art Vandelay, Vice President of Ljute Inc. for class times and fees).

Upon completion of above classes and therapy, you will be allowed 6 months of saw use, using StihlSawing's electric "Lipstick" saw. If all goes well, you will again be allowed to purchase gas saws again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

You are hereby instructed turn in your man card to the nearest Stihl dealer.

Your saws will be distributed among the real men here at AS.

You will undergo therapy sessions at Walkers BBQ and Grill, and enroll for man classes at Ljute Inc. (Send a PM to Art Vandelay, Vice President of Ljute Inc. for class times and fees).

Upon completion of above classes and therapy, you will be allowed 6 months of saw use, using StihlSawing's electric "Lipstick" saw. If all goes well, you will again be allowed to purchase gas saws again.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Ok stache, that's freaking hilarious.:ices_rofl::ices_rofl::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back