I'm Thinking of Buying an ATV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a Polaris Sportsman 700... Pulling a loaded trailer downhill on the logging road can get spooky.

Does your 700 have the engine braking feature? I'm wondering if the uneasy feeling you get is from a lack of braking capability or just a trailer that weighs significantly more than the ATV?

I also ask because I'm considering the 700 as my next upgrade.

Does your 700 have the engine braking feature? I'm wondering if the uneasy feeling you get is from a lack of braking capability or just a trailer that weighs significantly more than the ATV?

It does have the engine break on it and I try to keep the trailer weight down. It's just having something pushing at the center of gravity when you are coming down uneven steep areas. I guess I am just partial to the solid feeling and bigger brakes of the tractor.

I agree with a previous poster, that nothing beats a tractor, for traction, pulling power when hauling wood in the woods etc. That being said, I have occasionally used this 2005 Honda Rincon. Its a great ATV, independent front & rear suspension, 4x4, auto transmission or elec. shift. Its a carbed 650cc. 2006 & up are 680cc & injected.

While it will do the job. it lacks a low range trans. Its more of a trail cruiser. While it has a winch. I have yet to actually use it for anything. LOL If your not pulling huge weight, it will work. Thats where a small tractor shines.

05Rincon014.jpg

05Rincon007.jpg

05Rincon004.jpg

:cheers:
Gregg,

I have a 97 king quad 300. IT is an awsome little quad but I would opt for a larger cc unit for firewood work. Keep in mind my property is very hilly and no matter which way I go I am pulling a steep hill. that said it pulls my 340lb frame around everywhere. It has a low range and dif lock that maks it like a tank. When all of that is locked in it dosent turn worth a dime but it goes anywhere.

I really want a side by side but I am just far too cheap to spend the money to buy one. I have found a few used models that were around 2000 used but I havent found one yet that didnt need something that made the deal not so good.

I have used a ranger 600 in the past and have to say it was an awsome unit. hydraulic dump bed and 4x4. it feels like it would be top heavy but isint. If they wernt so costly I would likely buy one. But as it is I will just use my jeep.

We use the 800 to pull out most of our wood. I find it very handy over the 8N. My trails don't need to be as wide. I can cut in the woods and not be pulling them logs in the dirt. Not much I can't pull with the 800. We use it for wood and for plowing snow in the winter. I find it's a lot faster the the tractor. But both are good ideas and have their places.

Hint: Do your homework on those 700 Not to bad mouth them but some of them have a bad history.

Suzuki 500 4x4

I have had a suzuki 4x4 500 for 10 years now and it has never failed me. It has a rear drive shaft wear some of these utility four wheelers have belts.. It also is a standard shift with high and low gear. I pull a 4x6x3 trailer thru the woods loaded to the brim in hilly southern ohio and she pulls anything in first gear low. The thing i like the most about suzuki four wheelers is that they start all the time and are very reliable.

Polaris is a comfortable ride..when they run. Had a Sportsman 400 for work. Electrical problems, and a recall that solved little. Used quads fetch a premium around here, and not many to be found.

Bombardier/Can-Am are the only ones I shy away from. Not that they aren't a good bike, but the repair costs are 2-3 times as much as the same repair on other brands. I work on them all, Can am is the only one who does not release parts to the aftermarket, so they can charge whatever they feel like for parts.

POLARIS ALL THE WAY IMHO -Seeing as though the polaris ranger 800 Efi can pull 2000 lbs witha box capacity of 1500 pounds that wet oak shoudnt seem so heavy... I have a 05 sportsman 500 and havent had any maijor repairs axcept far a new rear cv joint that just wore out. Also polaris makes their atv's and the ranger with an engine brake which helps alot in towing down hill. You could check out you tube and watch some comparison vids

Miraclerepair knows what he is talking about. It always torqued me off to no end when they charged a higher hourly rate to work on my can am. I finally decided to get rid of it and then do my best to discourage anyone from ever buying one.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Here are a couple of the UTV's we have at work.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The new Rangers are great in my opinion, the toolbox they added as well as several other storage areas make it easy to find a place for all your tools. Like Mitch said this thing has a 1500 lb payload capacity, can haul pretty much anything, and has 6 wheel independent suspension. They are a bit pricey though, I think just a little less than I paid for my car new about 6 years ago.

The Big Boss is nice as well but gets tough to steer and maneuver when there is anything heavy in the box. It has the same engine as the Ranger so it can tow as well. It hauls a** too, at least 60mph.

Not much to add, but have been following along.

I had a polaris 500 h.o. with the pickup bed on the back. I would have no quams with the drivetrain other than it uses more gas than I'd like.

I've pulled logs, winched them out of gullies until the winch smoked (not good). Also plowed a LOT of virgin dirt when leveling our mountain. I would stack about 500 lbs on it to get traction and stand on the plow (sitting on the front of the machine), and it would move dirt until it lost traction. Never worried about the drivetrain.

Traction would be your big concern. I bet one of those 6x6's with a track made of chain would work wonders...

I have owned quite a few over the years and will always reccomend the Hondas. Gear drive over belt any time you are pulling anything. The Polarisis are nice and the independent rear suspension is a must for a smooth ride. IMHO, stay away from the can am outlander. I had a 650 and all I ever did was take it to the shop. Engineered by a group of idiots in my opinion. Constantly overheated when worked hard pulling and when you have to take the battery out to charge it, you will fully understand my frustrations. They engineered the can am like it is the space shuttle. Way overkill and high maintenance.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I have friends that ride Hondas..ranchers...seem pretty dependable..same for the Yamaha Grizzley.
I used to have a Suzuki King Quad and also two Polaris 500 Sportsmen's. I've ridden my boss 700 Ski Doo....I like the Polaris's and Ski Doo's ride..I'm big on independent rear suspension.
Being a trail rider and some times a trail buster both SkiDoo & Polaris have been great with 1pitfall.Go into deep water and the belts can slip on the Polaris.
Outside of that very responsive when you get on them...ya know laying on the throttle..LOL As far as hauling a trailer I'm thinking anything in that 500-800 cc range will work depending on how big of loads you plan on hauling.

You know if your not out messing around in some beaver pond turtling your quad I would never hesitate to go with a Sportman or the Skidoo...I was not a big fan of foot shifting hence my aversion to Honda and Suzuki although they got power...so does Artic Cat for that matter.

Just keep talking to guys...oh and buying used...I did well one time..it had 30 hrs on it..belly plate looked new and nubbies were still on the tires.Racked up over 5000 miles on it and sold it..by then it did need parts....LOL It was a driving machine...went through everything and all winter too....but there are more bad deals than good ones.

Good luck and have fun...ride safe...not that I did!

Polaris also has a ton of options...they make a 3 point/cam assembly that tracks roll over for snow,they mount where a tire would mount.Very cool.
http://www.atvtracks.net/atvtracksnet-videos

Last edited:
i have an '10 sportsman 500ho, and i love it. it has plenty of power, tows a 6x8 trailer loaded with no no problem in low, goes just about anywhere. it has front and rear winches, as i ride alone quite often; a front winch is a must for any 4x4 machine. this unit replaced a '00 kawi bayou 220, which i bought new and rode for 10 years. i phsycally outgrew it, and now my wife rides it, but wants an automatic.....

cj, blazer, bronco, scout

Get a real atv that can go most anyplace, haul stuff, and keep you out of the weather if needs be, with parts available anyplace, no specialty dealer required and no jacked up ridiculous prices for parts. A good running used one costs much less than a new quadbike and can do a lot more work. Put real tractor tires on them and don't look back.

Another option is just get a real 4wd tractor, then you got something that will go even more places, plus will take attachments making it mega useful.

Buncha guys here on the farm have all gone out and bought various quads..they run the snot out of them for a few weeks..then they notice those little trailers can only carry 1/20th or less of what the trailer behind the tractor can pull..then they notice then when it rains, they are out getting slimed on or iced on, no cab..they start driving their cheap beater pickups again. Eventually after a few months the expensive atv gets used for the kids to drive around for fun and burn gas, and for like going to the mailbox down the street.

That's happened close to a dozen times here since I have been here, six years now (this is a multiple farm family live onsite large farm, largest in this area). Never fails, we get a new farm family in, within two months they got a new atv, then they more or less stop using it within another two months.

I use the tractor. Runs on diesel, gets great mileage, does tons of useful work, goes anyplace I want to go. I've looked at the prices of those atvs, the new prices, you got to be kidding me.

You get something like any generic old Jeep CJ in fair shape, you can run it for years, and if you want to, sell it for what you paid for it..or more, most likely.

For starters i own a Polaris 300 xplorer 2 stroke 97 model had it since it was one year old, it's been and still is a great machine , i personally think the hi/lo range is a must for wood hauling, i built a small trailer for wood ,same width as atv but like 5 feet long .....imho ride several different models see what fits you and your needs. it will vary by terrain ,trailer no trailer etc. I think i would like a utv but i feel like i need the nimbleness of a atv in my personal wood lot. Also the price a new atv or utv ....wow..... something else to consider might be a small grey market 4x4 tractor ? Just my 2 cents Termite

Had a Yamaha Grizzly that was a great machine. Sold it and bought a Yamaha Rhino utv. I would not be without it. Great for work around the place and trips to the well. Rhino was set-up so I can place the winch in the front or the rear. Whatever brand you get, I would recommend 4x4 and winch. Like everything, be careful as they all can have a bad attitude and hurt you.

I'd buy used. Don't worry about the brand since all the major brands out there are good. Just find a nice unit at a good price and check it out well. Fuel injection is standard on any machine built after 2007 (I think) and is a must if you're changing elevation a lot (mountains), but that won't be a problem in RI. If you're towing a trailer, 4WD is a must.

I shopped a long time and kicked tires enough.I needed a dual purpose rig wood getter and getting to duck blind to work and food plots around it.I passed on a compact and went with a 800cc Can Am 4x4.Low gear automatic independent rear.Bought used with 74 hours best money I've spent yet.

Latest posts

Back