Impressed - Stihl 041 FarmBoss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A 041 was my first attempt to fixing saw, my grandfather moved to a different place and had no need of the saw since he had four that were newer I had seen this old saw lying around all my life but never running. My deddy tells the story of him leaving it on a stump all winter after cutting wood one day he just left it there. If it were mine it would have been gone if i walked around the truck. Any way the muffler vibrated off and he put it away. I got it after many years cleaned it, It cranked ,ran wide open without the muffler, Put a used muffler on it sharpened the chain and cut wood. It makes my arms fell like rubber after a few hours but it is a hoss.
30/30's have probably killed more deer than any other rifle and have probably killed everything on the North American continent.

!!!!!!!!!!

JamesReed,
The standard (not super) 041 was 61cc and came out in the mid 1960s. At that time it was one of the finest saws available and it, along with the 031 are the saws that made Stihl what they are today. As far as making a comparable saw today everyone is going to have an opinion on that but the short answer in my book is, there is no saw comparable to an 041.
They are big and heavy and loud and not as safe as todays saws and some will say that these are bad things. I say that there will be 041s and 031s running when Jesus comes back. Many of them have been in steady use for 40 years or more. I ask you "What can you purchase today and have a reasonable expectation of still using 40 years from now?"
As for parts availability many of the parts for these saws are still available through Stihl dealers, some are available aftermarket and there are literally THOUSANDS of parts saws (and saws that are being parted out) available.
I do have a very good one and when I have lost everything else in my world you will be able to see me walking down the road with it in one hand and my old bolt action 30-30in the other!
Mike

HELL YES!!!!!!!!!!!

:givebeer: :clap:

I've got an original 041 w/out AV and a 041AV Super. Both still run like a champ and for about 3 yrs was all I used for firewood...

Last edited:
In Europe the 30-30 is a target round. What the 041 gives to the new saws is worth about a qrarter inch on th length of a shovel handle. Its nice to have the new fast saw but there is nothing wrong with the 041/041S. I like them obviously.
They are like an old truck that always runs great and you feel good in. I'm redoing my 75 4X4 Chevy van, I like the old reliable beast.

Here's a pic of dad's '72 model 041. Kept the house warm for over 35yrs as well as helping out countless neighbors. Still has 155psi compression and runs great. I just rebuilt the carb and replaced the condenser.

attachment.php

I bought my 041 new in 1978 for 380 $ have used it ever since bought a parts saw for it last year on E-bay and after some j-b weld now have 2 working 041 farm bosses. Last spring I bought my first new saw since 78 a 441 magnum love it also but still use the 041' s part of the time when cutting wood and in my milling process.:chainsaw: :cheers:

PESt,
That old 30-30 has killed a TRAIN CAR load of deer, and even tho' folks will try to tell you that they are outdated and ineffective it ALWAYS does it's job if I do my part. I have yet to ever pull the starter rope on that 041 that it didn't start( with fuel in the tank of course ) but the next time may be the time!
If I have my 30-30 I can kill something to eat and with the 041 I can cut a pile of wood to cook it with!!!LOL
Mike

Hornady makes some nice ammunition for the 30-30 now, spear point bullets to use in a cylinder feed lever action.

Got a link?

I've been looking for some aero 30/30 cartridges

found it...thanks

I believe Hornady is the only one that makes that ammo for 30/30, kinda dangerous for a cyl. feed and speer point sitting on one another. Hornady's has a like rubber tiped point. they make them in 357 and 44mag for the lever guns also. Which I have all three.

I believe Hornady is the only one that makes that ammo for 30/30, kinda dangerous for a cyl. feed and speer point sitting on one another. Hornady's has a like rubber tiped point. they make them in 357 and 44mag for the lever guns also. Which I have all three.

I hate round nose rifle cartridges......I like to hit where I point the dang barrel

I will pick up a box or 2 of the FTX and give them a try...how is their brass for reloading?

I hate round nose rifle cartridges......I like to hit where I point the dang barrel

I will pick up a box or 2 of the FTX and give them a try...how is their brass for reloading?

From what I've read they are the best, Hornady IMO is a really quality ammo manufacturer.

....... when I have lost everything else in my world you will be able to see me walking down the road with it in one hand and my old bolt action 30-30in the other!
Mike

That old bolt action 30/30 wouldn't by chance be a Remington 788 would it???

No it's a 340 Savage that looks like it came over on the Mayflower. Shoots where you point it even with round nosed bullets. I have 3 of the 4 action types that Savage made in 30-30, and am looking for the 4th.
I found a 788 for my pastor, He loves that rifle.

No it's a 340 Savage that looks like it came over on the Mayflower. Shoots where you point it even with round nosed bullets. I have 3 of the 4 action types that Savage made in 30-30, and am looking for the 4th.
I found a 788 for my pastor, He loves that rifle.

I have a Savage 45 Super Sporter in 06'. Looks like the day it left the factory in the 40's. Shoots like a target gun, rear locking lugs and all. Probably the smoothest bolt operation I've ever felt, even more so than a Krag. Not the strongest action in the world, I know. However, don't let anyone tell it rear lock up bolts aren't accurate!:)

You need to come over to Kentucky sometime where you can kill a deer with that 45ss.
I've never understood why some of the flattest ground in the U.S. is shotgun only.

You need to come over to Kentucky sometime where you can kill a deer with that 45ss.
I've never understood why some of the flattest ground in the U.S. is shotgun only.

Isn't that the truth! I've got a bolt action Browning 12ga. with a rifled barrel and a Leupold 1x4 Vari-X II that doesn't know it's a shotgun. However, I do very little hunting in Illinois, other than birds even though I live here. Most big game is taken in the other states, Canada and various other foreign countries.

30-30

I still hunt with an old Montgomery Wards(winchester model 1894) lever action. Dudes flaps and flap about my old outdated rifle, but I've NEVER missed a deer. I swear by the old 30-30's. Most of the time your hunting in brush with less than 100yds of clear sight, so what's the purpose of having something with a scope or that can shoot 1/2mile??? I do have a 30-06 I use when I go field hunting for the 300+ yard stuff, but day to day, 30 of 31 days I'm hunting with the 30-30 for sure. Those old lever actions were the best.

:cheers: eh?

Back