Impulse bought a Shindaiwa T25. Fixed! Now running!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure. I really hope it can run a blade. Never used a weedeater with a blade before. I guess if the 25 can't handle a blade, it will bog and not cut well. Still curious about Jughead's statement that you don't go wide open with blades.

Anybody know of a tutorial on using weedeater's with blades? I actually read part of the manual for one of Husqvarna's brushcutters and it touched on general use. I should go back and read the whole section on using a blade.

Ugh, I just got through skimming the service manual. I hope a new carb kit gets this running. Cause it would be a nightmare to work on without a bunch of special tools

Sure. I really hope it can run a blade. Never used a weedeater with a blade before. I guess if the 25 can't handle a blade, it will bog and not cut well. Still curious about Jughead's statement that you don't go wide open with blades.

Anybody know of a tutorial on using weedeater's with blades? I actually read part of the manual for one of Husqvarna's brushcutters and it touched on general use. I should go back and read the whole section on using a blade.

Ugh, I just got through skimming the service manual. I hope a new carb kit gets this running. Cause it would be a nightmare to work on without a bunch of special tools
Just wide open with blades isn't Necessary in Grass,Briars or other small stuff.Cutting bigger brush?Yes wide open is usually needed in Short Bursts to get thru what your cutting.With the Blade it doesn't cause as much Load on the Motor as the String Does.This causes the Motor to Rev Faster and reach Max RPM's faster.Kind of like Revving a saw Wide open out of wood.Can't be too good.Also with a Blade you have a Hard,Sharp metal Surface doing a Better Job at cutting than the Plastic String or Nylon Blade.

Heh, small stuff he says... I am in the foothills of the Smokies. It is like a tropical jungle over here. I have a couple of spots where the blackberry vines are 6 or 7 feet tall. That is going to be a challenge.

Now I understand what you were saying, Jug. Thanks for the explaination.

I've run blades on my larger Shindaiwa's. With a good sharp 80 tooth blade it is amazing how much you can clear. I used 80 tooth initially on my property to clear a few acres of sapling. Going through a 4" sapling is a breeze with a sharp blade.
A lot more trigger work involved with a blade.
I know there are lots of blade options out there but I've used an 80 tooth more than any other. Goes through big blackberry stalks with ease and isn't as jarring on the machine as blades with fewer teeth. Just keep it out of the dirt so it will stay sharp.
After a few years the woody stuff stops growing if you keep after it. Now I do most of my cutting with string.
I put in a lot of hours initially clearing the jungle. Your place almost sounds like out here in Western Oregon.

Naw im almost as east as you can get.I can spit over the nc and va lines.

I don't go east from where I am very often. Too many tourists.

I've run blades on my larger Shindaiwa's. With a good sharp 80 tooth blade it is amazing how much you can clear. I used 80 tooth initially on my property to clear a few acres of sapling. Going through a 4" sapling is a breeze with a sharp blade.
A lot more trigger work involved with a blade.
I know there are lots of blade options out there but I've used an 80 tooth more than any other. Goes through big blackberry stalks with ease and isn't as jarring on the machine as blades with fewer teeth. Just keep it out of the dirt so it will stay sharp.
After a few years the woody stuff stops growing if you keep after it. Now I do most of my cutting with string.
I put in a lot of hours initially clearing the jungle. Your place almost sounds like out here in Western Oregon.

Word bomb!

I have wondered about the carbide toothed brushcutter blades I see online. I have also heard I can use a circular saw blade but I don't know if that is true. Thing with sawblades is there is coarse grass mixed in with the blackberries and I don't think the sawblade will cut grass well. The funny thing is, we have explosive growth in the spring but seems mostly woody to me. Not the soft stuff I think of when I think of true jungle.

I have noticed some interesting things about horsepower on a couple of different brushcutters. This Shindaiwa had 1.4 (IIRC) horsepower according to the manual Jug posted. Husqvarna's 336fr 34.5cc brushcutter is supposed to have 1.9 HP and Stihl FS-130 36.3cc 4-mix has 1.9 BHP (BHP is different from straight HP. To lazy to do any more research). This isn't an apples to apples comparison but I thought it was interesting to see what a pre EPA machine rates HP wise.

If my Shindaiwa doesn't work with the blade, I will be in the market to get a true brushcutter. More than anything else, it will be a decision between the 4-mix and (what I think is) still a 2 cycle engine, X-Torq. I know am choosing more than what I want, I need to choose what I will use. A 345FR would be fun as all get out but carrying it to do the mowing would stink. Even if my Shindaiwa can't clear the brush, it ought to do a great job mowing down grass. The way I look at it, I will have a couple of summers of clearing then everything will be mowing kneeish high grass. It is about 2 acres of rolling fields with some wooded areas. Would be great to get it to where I can mow with a regular lawn mower. May not be possible.

If you do go stihl go with the fs240.the others are 4 mix with valves.got torque but its wide open throttle.they dont do too good at half throttle they just dont hold the rpms too well if what your cutting requires 1\2 throttle.the old fs250 was a force to be rckoned with too bad it has been replaced with the strato fs240.
Look into tanaka.i have a tbc340 and that thing has all of the power needed and is reliable as all get out.8 years and it still starts on the first pull and wants to rip the cord out of my hand.since it didn't owe me anything i modded the muffler and removed the cat and now it is just a completely different animal.i'm going to tear it down shortly and do a base gasket removal if i have enough clearance.may even rering it and go up a size or so on the fixed jet in the carb.the fixed jet rotary carbs must be more forgiving on mods than the adjustable ones.

I know one of our members really likes his FS 130 but the more I read about 4-mix, the more troublesome it looks. I am not saying it won't run right but the 4-mix system seems to be very complicated.

For the price of a FS 240 or 336FR, I could get a the ~40cc Tanaka. Which would probably be more machine than I need. I can't tell for sure but it looks like there isn't much price difference between the two sizes of Tanaka brushcutters. But there isn't a dealer near me! Both dealers are over 20 miles away. I might have to order the brushcutter online.

Parts are available online thought. That is something I can't say about Stihl.

BTW, I have been think about letting the cat out of my Husky 435 and Blower. Is it hard to do ? The only issue I see is that I don't have access to any welding or brazing supplies.

You probably won't need a dealer on the tanaka.i just changed the original plug in mine back in the summer.
With muffler mod's the only thing i use is a Mapp torch.that is. Usually for uncrimping the flange if its not welded,soldered from the factory.most time i have spent on a muffler is like 30-45 minutes.sometimes they dont even have to come open.just drill or grind the holes then flush the muffler out really well with water.
If you can send me a picture of your 435 muffler i'll let you know if its possible.i just done a 326 lx muffler a while back and it is a beast now.

Oh do becareful with buying tanaka nowdays some are made in china.i'm thinking that they may be closing out all of the Japanese models.not sure right now.if they do its going to be a crying shame.

I bought a propane torch to uncrimp an old homelite muffler but haven't tried it yet.

You are right, if I can get Tanaka parts, I don't really need a dealer.

I have a hunch that the link you posted might be a chinese Tanaka. I haven't found parts for it online. The only thing I can find about it is that it comes with a terrible string head. And that it was on sale for $179 through Woot in 2013.

Your right that ones chinese.didnt know they had started making them that big yet.wish I could find a couple more japanese models to set back.I never have seen a tanaka torn up or worn out.dont know what they done absolutely right.lol

May I ask how you figured out it was Chinese? I just had a hunch to go on.

I wonder if the Tanaka TBC 340 and 430 are still Japanese made. Do we know if they are rolling over to Chinese on the same model numbers?

Most chinese models have gray covers instead of black.some you can just kinda tell.i don't think they are using the same models numbers.looks like the saws have pretty well dried up.baileys sold out of the ecs3351 saws finally.glad i got one of those before they sold out.wish i could find a new 3301 cheap.

Back