IN short how does the 5015 Dolmar compare to the MS261

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a 5100 muffler and put on my 5105

attachment.php

Let me know where it is at and I will try it out! And let you know of coarse!

Let me know where it is at and I will try it out! And let you know of coarse!

NW Iowa you game:bringit:

I ran about a tank of gas through it today. I was splitting wood so I was cuttign down some bucked up stuff when needed.

Observations.

Hate the easy start recoil system, I see no need for this on a saw this size.

I am pretty sure the safety chain is not helping the cutting performance.

I like how smooth it runs. Seems very nice with the 16" bar. Was cutting semi dry Ash, Maple and Mullberry.

I like the off button feature of just pushing it off and then you can grab it and flip nothing and restart to cut. I really liked this for some reason. One less step to start when warm.

Overall I see no real reason to knock this saw at this point. I like it. It seems it will do everything you want it to that a MS261 would or any other saw in that range.

I think for some reason it is smoother running than my 261.

Clearly the muffler is very restricted which will be changed eventually.

I think it will be around for a while:hmm3grin2orange:

Hope to cut some trees with it tomorrow if weather stay good. I ran out of stuff to split

They are a good running saw, you won't be disappointed. After I opened up the non cat muffler I had to remove the needle stops to get it dialed in the way I liked.

They are a good running saw, you won't be disappointed. After I opened up the non cat muffler I had to remove the needle stops to get it dialed in the way I liked.

I was eyeing the carb settings. What is up with those. They kind of interlocking levers into each other:confused2:

Do you clip the tab/levers off them or is there more to it?

Mine was a little on the rich side from the factory. I had to lean the high speed out a couple notches.

Mine also came with a 3/8" X 20" regular chain.

I see yours has the safety chain. No problem, I just keep those extra rakers filed back and eventually wear the chain out.

When the chain needs sharpeing it will be introduced to the bench grinder first to remove the safety humps.

I seen Brad do this in some thread and I have done it recently to some Stihl safety chains and they seem to cut like crazy now. Worth the effort to grind. I guess I did not even look if it is .325 or .375 pitch. I am guessing .325

I was eyeing the carb settings. What is up with those. They kind of interlocking levers into each other:confused2:

Do you clip the tab/levers off them or is there more to it?
I trimmed the tab on the high with a paper clip held by needle nose vise grips and heated red with a propane torch. The low has not been trimmed yet but seems to have enough range.
Keep in mind this may void your warranty.

So, how much do you LOVE that little Dolmar? Or do you? (I notice that you haven't added it to your sig. Please tell me that you haven't sold it! :frown:)

I will add it if it makes you feel better:) I just last week received two new chains for it from Bailey's but have yet to use it as of late. I have been trying to finish my garage so all cutting has been delayed for a bit.

Last time I ran it was great until I monkeyed the blade dull in the dirt. It will stay for a while. I do think it needs a new muffler or this one gutted.

Last time I ran it was great until I monkeyed the blade dull in the dirt. It will stay for a while. I do think it needs a new muffler or this one gutted.

Supposedly its not too difficult to gut the cat muffler and it does wake the saw up. Or you can always pick up an older PS-460, 510, 5100s that someone did in for parts as those had the non-cat muffler on them. Its a straight swap.

So, how much do you LOVE that little Dolmar? Or do you? (I notice that you haven't added it to your sig. Please tell me that you haven't sold it! :frown:)

I would get some K&N oil on that filter. My 5100 had that on it when i got it and the carb elbow is clean as a whistle with 5 tanks thru it!!

Also clean that filter often!!

Congrats on your purchase!!

We did this on Tuesday and ran A 346XP OE, a Domar 5105, Dolmar 111E, Stihl 026 Pro, and Zenoah 5000. The bars/chains were all different.

The 346, 5000, and 026 were ported and the others stock. The 026 and 111i were at the tail end of this run but were pretty much alike. The 346 and 5000 had square chains and 16" bars and the 5105 had 3/8" chain.

Yesterday, the 346 was number one and the Redmax/Zenoah 5000 was number two with the Dolmar 5105 right in behind them. All I guess what you would call 3 cube saws?

Hey, look at this. A stock Dolly 5105 just about keeps up with the vaunted 346xp, even though the Husky has been ported. Hmmm...

Tallguys, no surprise to me, the 346xpne in stock form is a great saw, but highly overated. To get the performance that most on here rave about you need to MM mod them, stick an unlimited coil in them, or port them. In stock form they had a slight advantage over the 260, I wouldn't be surprised in a new Echo 500P will run with them in stock form based on what my dealer was telling me about how strong the new little Echo is . I've got to run the 5100 it sure wasn't a slouch, haven't ever had the pleasure of running a 5105.

Latest posts

Back