Installing electronic module on 031

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Tree Freak
Reaction score
I tried your all suggestions on installing the electronic module
[atom] and it did not work. To install it in the airfilter area, one
would have to run a jumper wire to ground, and I just opted
to put in new points and condenser, I do not like to rig things like
that. It would have worked with a ground wire, but it would
look like crap. Any other places to put this module?

Old note from Jay Johnson, the old stihl rep.

P1190002.jpg

P1190006.jpg

Nothing at all in particular, but rather the broad view of what happened here, reminds me of a story I once heard.  I'm sure both Fish and JimL can appreciate it; heck, they may know the story themselves!

One morning at daybreak on the Ohio River, there were two muskrats with their legs caught in traps.  One in Indiana and one in Kentucky.  They hollered back and forth for a little while about what a bummer it was when the Indiana muskrat had enough and gnawed his leg off.&nbsp When the Kentucky muskrat saw him hobbling away, he asked how he could get free too.  The Indiana muskrat told him to gnaw his leg off.

Later that day the Indiana muskrat was thirsty, so he went back down to the river to get a drink.  When the Kentucky muskrat saw him, he yelled over "How did you say you got free again?" and the Indiana muskrat yelled back "Just gnaw your leg off!".

The Kentucky muskrat yelled back "I don't get it.  I done chewed through three legs already and I'm still caught in this trap!".

Hoosier Glen

fish,
i do not have any 031s left to post a pic. i install the atom inside the air box behind the air filter. seems to be plenty of room and i have not suffered a ground problem. if i can locate one of my many old 031s i'll post a pic. marty

atom

Nice notes from the rep. I put it in the same place, but I bend the plate in a Z so I do not need the spacer. It is fashioned similar to the bracket that comes with the conversion kit that Stihl sold for a while. Also had to switch the wires around, which I think your diagram does show. I gave up on points about 10 years ago, never had an Atom fail, and most customers comment on the saw running better than ever. I guess I may have put in 50 of them on various saws.

I must be the only person on earth with a 031av that still has a good coil! :D

I have both an 031 with points and an 031 with original electronic ignition. I am trying to get away from the points on the one saw and have an extra 031 electronic fly wheel does anyone know if the points saw can be converted using factory parts I have talked with two different dealers one says yes the other says no.......any help is greatly appreciated.

"cutting up in TEXAS"

I tried many variations mounting on the coil, but always came up
against the fuel tank. The mounting in the air bow would give a weak spark every now and then, and after looking at the av
mounts, it was no wonder, the back handle and airbox is
isolated from the saw's engine.
I think Glen/glans letting it slip that he is a hoosier is great!
It clears a lot of things up.

Fish,

Was that the first time I'd "let it slip" that I'm a Hoosier?

I'm not a native here but it is by choice I remain.  Most of the natives are not more than two generations from Kentucky - they just didn't get far enough away.  It's interesting that pretty much all the Polack jokes I'd learned as a kid are the same here, except the subjects are Kentuckians!

I'm not particularly fond of being referred to as ********, but it you must, please capitalize at least the first letter.

Me

Very Good, actually I saw someone else call you glans, er Glans,
and it slipped by unnoticed.
Actually, you may have said that you were a hoosier before, I
do not know. When a poster is busy basting his own ego on
these forums, I do not really notice the drippings that much.
The Ky. muskrat joke, however, was totally out of line. I am
offended, and deeply hurt. What has Ky. done to Indiana?
Other than beating you badly in basketball?
Where are you from originally? I am not from Ky,I just live here
U.S.A. is a tad vague.
It is funny you should mention it, go up to Canada, and they tell
American jokes.
I am an equal opportunity poster, I give everyone a hard time at least once, or twice, or more.

Tree Monkey!
You have been with us a year and Glens already has almost as
many posts as you, and he has been here under a month! Is
something wrong?

031 ELETC OR POINTS ?

OK here we go ! not that it matters but hear
is is my 2 cents worth i live on a lake and have for al of my life. I have seen many a outboard motor and i still always mix 16 to 1 -no mater what 2 cycle engine is going to burn the mix ! Anyway to getback on subject my dad bougt a used 031 in 1987 and it never did want to run rite it always seemed to have a weak ign. So i decided to convert it from the points style ing. to eletcronic, So i purchased an electronic conversion unit from stihl part # 1118 400 1001 when i went to start the saw it started rite up and ideled fine! but when i tryed to throtle it up it ran just like an old outboard when u turned up the throtle but didn't advance the timeing lever next to the flywheel ( u could tell the timing was too slow ) i am courious to know if the altom eletc. unit acts the same way as the stihl conversion unit ? Please don't try and tell me that it is the way to rich 16 to 1 mix that i always run because i changed the 031 back to the original points set up and it runs out fine ! but u know how those 031 s are one day they will really run good and then the the next time u go to use them they don't have enough spark to start ! I have 15 stihls 2-020s a 028 031 032 038 mag 2-044s 051 056 super 064 with a 066 top end 075 076 and2- 084s run 16 to 1 in all of them no proublems- no i don't run stihl or any real good 50 to 1 oil desighned for air cooled use--i use a 16 to 1 mix because i have many old outboards that require this mix ratio and i know that if i used stihl or husqv. @ 16 to 1 i would proubly have some trouble ! ps i drive a truck i pull a tanker and i am always @ places where they blend 2 cycle oil i always fill my m t jugs when i am at these stops !

031 points conversion

OK here we go ! not that it matters but hear
is is my 2 cents worth i live on a lake and have for al of my life. I have seen many a outboard motor and i still always mix 16 to 1 -no mater what 2 cycle engine is going to burn the mix ! Anyway to getback on subject my dad bougt a used 031 in 1987 and it never did want to run rite it always seemed to have a weak ign. So i decided to convert it from the points style ing. to eletcronic, So i purchased an electronic conversion unit from stihl part # 1118 400 1001 when i went to start the saw it started rite up and ideled fine! but when i tryed to throtle it up it ran just like an old outboard when u turned up the throtle but didn't advance the timeing lever next to the flywheel ( u could tell the timing was too slow ) i am courious to know if the altom eletc. unit acts the same way as the stihl conversion unit ? Please don't try and tell me that it is the way to rich 16 to 1 mix that i always run because i changed the 031 back to the original points set up and it runs out fine ! but u know how those 031 s are one day they will really run good and then the the next time u go to use them they don't have enough spark to start ! I have 15 stihls 2-020s a 028 031 032 038 mag 2-044s 051 056 super 064 with a 066 top end 075 076 and2- 084s run 16 to 1 in all of them no proublems- no i don't run stihl or any real good 50 to 1 oil desighned for air cooled use--i use a 16 to 1 mix because i have many old outboards that require this mix ratio and i know that if i used stihl or husqv. @ 16 to 1 i would proubly have some trouble ! ps i drive a truck i pull a tanker and i am always @ places where they blend 2 cycle oil i always fill my m t jugs when i am at these stops !

No answer to this question? I found one good post one this site that recommended a Brown NOVA module for the Stihl 031AV points conversion but the brown module is no longer available. I bought a standard generic ignition module and the saw starts and idles fine but the timing is very late (retarded). I mounted this module near the carb, with one screw and ran the ground wire to the cylinder where I drilled a small hold for the screw to secure the ground wire. If I ever get this saw running right I will start a new thread with clear concise instructions on what exactly to do the convert a Stihl 031AV from points to module fired ignition.

Lots of threads on that subject. Search function may not be working. I have used Nova II modules on 031's w/ no problems thus far.

You have to take the flywheel key out and advance the flywheel about 1&1/2 key widths or switch to an electronic flywheel which is timed right for you aftermarket module. There is a thread here somewhere but I couldn't find it when I searched. I thought the thread was called "031 flywheels revealed!" but it didn't come up in my search.

Back