installing new rings on an 026 pro

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flbosco

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
hi guys. is there a trick to installing new rings? do i gently pull apart at the gap and walk one side around the piston groove? this is the path i followed to remove the old ones and one of them snapped in two. i don't want the new ones to do the same. many thanks

hi guys. is there a trick to installing new rings? do i gently pull apart at the gap and walk one side around the piston groove? this is the path i followed to remove the old ones and one of them snapped in two. i don't want the new ones to do the same. many thanks

That is how I do it, new rings have a lot more tensile strength to them , not so brittle as used ones but you still have to be careful not to pull apart too hard.
Pioneerguy600

i use two of the small Stihl carb adjustment flat head screw drivers and gently push each side of the ring into the piston groove, while holding the jug between the pinky and ring finger of each hand. once the ring is completely compressed, I pull down with the fingers on each side until jug slips over 1st ring. same process for the bottom ring

i use two of the small Stihl carb adjustment flat head screw drivers and gently push each side of the ring into the piston groove, while holding the jug between the pinky and ring finger of each hand. once the ring is completely compressed, I pull down with the fingers on each side until jug slips over 1st ring. same process for the bottom ring

Never thought of that .....very good idea. I will have to try this on my 064 that I am putting together.

I use a adjustable hose clamp, rub a little mix oil on the piston and rings, make sure rings are lined up correctly, end gaps and index pins, snug your hose clamp up , it doesn't have to be very tight just snug, slide your jug down to the clamp and push the piston right in. It works real good and you can get a hose clamp any where!

I used a Zip tie, larger one, so it was wide enough to catch both rings at once, but only because I didn't have the right tool for the job. I will buy that set from Bailey's one day. I feel your pain.

Back