Interest in aftermarket Handle Bars?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What would you buy a full-wrap or 3/4 wrap for??

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What about if you just bent the bars and then wrapped it with a sticky or synthetic tennis/racquetball handle wrap? It's cheap, really vibration friendly, and provides a really nice non-slip grip! Maybe offer the bars without any covering and leave it up to the customer to wrap it! Maybe come in with a bar that is around the $25.00 range! Selling in volume will net you alot more cash!!

JJ, you're the local saw encyclopedia. . . What does a dealer charge for full wrap options from the factory?

I'm probably wrong, but $140 sticks in my brain (talking full wrap).

I just left my local stihl dealer and to get the full wrap which is really a 3/4 wrap is $165... so that being said i'd definitely be ordering some handles from you if the design was right and the price beat stihls... I have used the usa bars and i didnt like how bulky and "universal" they feel, i do like the design of the husky full wraps.. but im sure theres lots of "likes" and "dislikes" about all designs. I'm very interested to see what you come up with

Spay the inside with contact cement and wrap it tight,You'll never know the difference.Cement keeps it from twisting.

I just got my USA handlebar 3/4 wrap for my 044 after being on the backorder list for about 3-4 weeks. I haven't cut with it yet but I have messed around with it in the garage. What I can tell you is this:

both bar nuts are easy to get to, even with a "deep well" Stihl scrench
The tubing over the bar appears to be heater hose or something very similar. My only real gripe is that because the handlebar is welded on both ends, there isn't any way to slide a new piece of tubing on the clutch side handle if you ever needed to
I wish the contours were smooth and more round like the factory 3/4 wrap instead of angular, but probably just takes some getting used to
I think it sticks out plenty far enough on all sides... for me at least
For the price, I'm very happy with it. And it was lightly stamped "made in USA" in 1 or 2 spots
I'd be happy to take some photos for you, or if you are ever over this way (I think you mentioned once you have family in this area) feel free to drop me a line and come wrap your paws around it.

What about plasi-dip like they use on tool handles? Might be more economical on a production basis.Just dip and hang.

And it could be done in really cool designer colors !!!

Plasti-dip is pretty cheap-o stuff. . . The commercial grade stuff is called Plastisol. It requires a heated dip tank, and some setting up to do. . . I called a supplier in WA a couple years ago about it. The guy was really cool, and even drew me out a picture of how to make the heat tank, etc, at home.

So far Brad's shrink tubing looks like it would be the fastest, look good, feel good, and hopefully keep manufacturing costs down.

Has anybody tried hockey tape?? Has a tacky feeling to it but doesnt stick to your hands.. Kinda like an M&M !!!!:hmm3grin2orange:

Hockey tape is Friction tape. . . The granddad of current electrical tape. Good for hammer handles too, and a bunch of other stuff. :)

Spoke with Doug this afternoon. . . We're gonna give it a go.

The first two will be an 044 full-wrap, and a 346 full-wrap. These will be our test subjects to setup some jigs and get the feel for them.

It's gonna take some effort to make a good press die for the flats on the handles too. . . As we'll most likely have to have a few for variations, but we'll see.

Back