Interesting grain patterns and tree anatomy observed while splitting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A branch growing off of a much larger trunk. Shigo mentions that as the trunk grows it 'pinches' the limb and this mechanism is what leads to branch shedding. The pith also gets squeezed but this photo doesn't show it.

attachment.php

A closed over branch stub that died and was not pruned. The vascular system in the branch only connects to the trunk below the branch...and not to the trunk above. I think this photo shows this. It may look connected above it's connection point to the trunk but it is only a physical connection, not vascular.(Shigo) Small amounts of decay wood can be seen but it has all been compartmentalized.

attachment.php

Another branch and it's socket. Notice how the vascular system looks to be down-wards flowing only. Successive branch bark ridges may be what is showing above the branch connection.

attachment.php

Comments, addition information and of course corrections are welcome. That's it for the photos until I 'bust' some more wood. Watching wood on the splitter got me interested in reading Shigo's 'A New Tree Biology' for the second time. It's been just a little over 20 years since I first read it when I was studying up for the CA test back in 1991. Thank you Alex.

Back