Interesting grain patterns and tree anatomy observed while splitting wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Del_

3% Neanderthal...... 2% Denisovan
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As an arborist I'm quite amazed at the patterns often found in trees while splitting fire wood. Here's a few photos from this afternoon.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That would have made some awesome furniture........ Too bad you did not catch it before you cut it up..

I think the coolest looking firewood I've ever split is Box Elder. Most of the wood looks like plain whitish/cream colored silver maple but with really bright red random streaks going through it.

Do you live were there is a lot of wind? Beautiful wood by the way, thanks for posting.

The center of this tree had rotted away and these patterns came from about a three inch thick outer wall shaped much like a pipe. So these photos a very much like a radial cross section. The whole diameter was about 24 inches.

Looks like eddy currents in a river. If you could get a nice thin slice it would look cool stained and framed.

The center of this tree had rotted away and these patterns came from about a three inch thick outer wall shaped much like a pipe. So these photos a very much like a radial cross section. The whole diameter was about 24 inches.

So this was a "bottle butt"? Or was it higher up?

Those circles are fascinating; caused by buds forming?

Was it easy to split? Did you use maul or machine?

So this was a "bottle butt"? Or was it higher up?

Those circles are fascinating; caused by buds forming?

Was it easy to split? Did you use maul or machine?

If I remember correctly it was a bottle butt.

It was easy to split by machine but I think a maul would have done the job easily too.

I'm constantly amazed at tree anatomy when splitting firewood. I'm going to start taking a lot of photos and posting them in this thread. Just yesterday I split a piece that had closed over a pruning nub decades ago and watching the fibers pull apart in real time shows anatomy that still photos don't capture.

If anybody wants the the original little over one meg file shoot me a PM with your email addy.

Last edited:
I'd like to take a pic of every piece I split. Last year it was about 16 cords, it was hard to seperate myself it. I have a few pieces on my larder I haven't burned cause I want to take a sawzall to them but if I crack one open then...
I have been meaning to grab a split piece that has good branch collars and one that is codom. I would lug them around and show clients.

A branch that died as the tree grew and was enclosed by subsequent growth. No pruning cut is evident. Note the pith trial from the main leader going up into the shed branch. Very small amounts of decayed wood were also found enclosed.

attachment.php

Back