Interesting maul split...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

starter

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Check this out. This 8lb. maul is one week old, split about a cord of nasty elm, and then I noticed this...

Cool crack, eh!!?

Part of the elm it went through (with some very directed convincing):

It's going back to the local home moaner supply store on Monday.

Do I try another of the same or a different brand?

Check this out. This 8lb. maul is one week old, split about a cord of nasty elm, and then I noticed this...

Cool crack, eh!!?

Hmm...I can't see the pics, just a small square with an "X" in it.

I finally had to retire the antique from my old man. I suspect it was originally his dad's. Had several cracks coming off the faces.

Harry K

Cool crack, eh!!?

You need to upload those pics before they will work in img brackets

You need to upload those pics before they will work in img brackets

starter,

The code is showing the drive path on your system.

Click on reply, then scroll down to the "Additional Options" "Attach Files" and click on the Manage Attachments button.

A new window will pop up and allow you to BROWSE your drive to find the IMG files

Oops

Sorry for that. It took a little longer for my post to send so I though it was uploading the pics. Will the method you describe imbed the pics in my post or attach them?

The pics are at home so I'll upload tonight.

This should work now.
Maul:
attachment.php

Wood:
attachment.php

More info, the maul is a Garant (Canadian line of Ames products) and is from their "Lynx" line (lowest end). Found this out after I went back and exhanged it for the next up "Cougar" which, if the literature is to be believed, is drop forged and has more controlled hardness than the Lynx. The Grizzly line is their top end but only came with a fibreglass handle so I opted for the Cougar as I am not too fond of fibreglass.

By the way when I returned it I noticed another similar crack was forming on a different corner. Too hard would be my guess (and repeated impacts from the sledge). I think I'll beat the wedges instead of the maul in the future. The old maul up at the lake doesn't seem to have any problems but then we don't beat that one as hard or as often, it's mostly seeing pine and spruce.

Deffinately beat the wedges rather than the maul with a sledge.
If your new maul is harder it will probably chip rather than crack. I had to have a peice of steel dug out of my chest once from doing the same thing.

Andy

Yup, I will beat the wedges not the maul but won't give up on the knarly elm, it burns too good to quit on.

As for the maul, the old one was too hard, the new one should be softer than the one that cracked so as long as I keep the edges dressed they shouldn't crack off. Just like my wedge which has to be dressed regularly.

Thanks.

Getcha one o them big @ss wedges with the steel pipe for a handle...almost like splitting with a light saber...ok...a 16 lb light saber, but hey..

cost like 30 bucks from northern tool or similar...

It Happens

Well it's a tool you use it and it wears. Although on only one cord even bangin' it with a sledge that's kind of strange i think at least. Try the big maul "MONSTER MAUL" 16lb after a while of swingin that you'll be able to look at the wood and it'll prolly split apart itself after seeing your arms. swingin a 16lb really isnt so bad it just takes finesse.

Seen the monster mauls around on the net, but can't find one local. I'll keep looking because I like brute force :)

Beg to differ but the crack shown is not wear... it is premature failure, period. No hammer, sledge, wedge, or maul should ever do that. I do like the idea of the wood splitting itself in fear though...:clap: :clap: ... now climb into the firebox like I taught you... good wood, good wood.

True on the tool quality being low. I was just implying tools are meant to be used "After a While it will show the Wear" hopefully nothing like that though. I guess I look at as; if it's worth the effort to split by hand, buy the best availible. I dunno I've been trying the scare method on my firewood for years and swear to god every time I can hear it laugh right back at me:) BTW what's the beef with Fiberglass?

LOL, if it's not the wood laughing at me it's the dog, but he won't admit it...

I've used a few fibreglass handled ball peen hammers years ago and they seemed to vibrate more than the wood handled ones. So I thought that a bigger handle with bigger forces involved would be even more so. Gotta admit I've never used a glass handled maul or axe.

My newest Maul is an 8lb Luddell with a fiberglass handle, it has a piece of thick rubber wrapped around the handle butting up against the head of the maul called a "Handle Saver" i've used alot of fiberglass mauls before and i think that is the main difference it seem's to dissapate the vibration better than just a glass handle. The cost was around $28.00 and it feels nice in the hands, it's well balanced, swings nice the handle is just the right length. so all-in-all it as a good investment. I don't know the availibility of the tool brand up near you guys but down near me its a standard and you can find it at any hardware/farm supply/home improvement store.

Thanks Dave,

I'll swing this new one for a while and see how it goes. I don't have any problems on most wood but the elm is nasty. Maybe I'll keep looking for a monster 14lb'er, it would be fun to try.

I have seen the handle saver on different types of handles before, too, but don't have one an any of my axes or maul.

Chris

Yeah the monster mauls are fun, I have a 16lb one IIRC, after an hour of that ya got some good backsweat going, even if it is 10* outside.

Ladies will love ya when ya get done with it though, gotta have a minimum of 16" arm to swing one effectively, lol.

Brave Products make the "Monster Maul". It is about 15-16lbs, and is quite the pursuader. Mine is for the exercise, the Iron and Oak Splitter is for wood production :) . I recommend both products.

Thanks for the info Charlie.

For now it's the maul/axe/wedge combination, no production splitting here, just 5 or 6 cords a year, but will consider a splitter one day, when my wrists/elbows/back complain too much.

Latest posts

Back