Interesting piston from an Ebay seller in Singapore

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jockeydeuce

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I bought a few items from an Ebay seller in Singapore...He had some Episan pistons which were a no-brainer, but I asked him about some others and he told me they had Italian writing on the box, but he didn't know what brand they actually were........Hmmmmmmm, I decided it was worth the gamble......Anyone seen this before and know what brand it is????

Here's the package my 288 piston came in.......

IMG_4331.jpg

Italian on the box, just like he said.......

IMG_4332.jpg

Pretty good looking piston.......

IMG_4337.jpg

IMG_4338.jpg

That piston looks like a design of several Husqvarna models. But it is a copy only. I would say the whole thing including the box is a copy. And you do not know the composition of the metal in the piston. And you do not have much recourse if it fails.

That piston looks like a design of several Husqvarna models. But it is a copy only. I would say the whole thing including the box is a copy. And you do not know the composition of the metal in the piston. And you do not have much recourse if it fails.

Thanks for confirming what I already knew.:monkey:

Thanks for confirming what I already knew.:monkey:

Maybe we were a bit hasty in voicing our opinion.:)....looks like there are some guys on here that have experience with them...and now, I guess, I'd give it a shot...in a used, not pristine cylinder....maybe?...... If it holds up...use it! ...and if the price was right, order some more!

Last edited:
Maybe we were a bit hasty in voicing our opinion.:)....looks like there are some guys on here that have experience with them...and now, I guess, I'd give it a shot...in a used, not pristine cylinder....maybe?...... If it holds up...use it! ...and if the price was right, order some more!

No worries....I fully plan on running it and I'm happy to be the guinea pig. The piston is obviously some kind of old stock, but curious if it actually had a brand name.......Yes, the price was right!!:cheers:

Gentlemen,

If you are really worried about the pistons chemical composition you can take it to a local university or college that has an electron microscope and ask that department to do an x-ray elemental analysis (energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy or EDS), of a small sample of the metal. You'll then know the alloy. Just ask if they have a scanning electron microscope (SEM), and if so, ask if they are equipped for EDS. It shouldn't cost you anything because this is exactly the sort of real-world situation a professor wants his/her students to deal with.

Obviously this won't tell you the quality of the piston, but if the alloy is the same as an OEM piston, it is less likely to be a junk copy where little thought would be given to alloy.

Gentlemen,

If you are really worried about the pistons chemical composition you can take it to a local university or college that has an electron microscope and ask that department to do an x-ray elemental analysis (energy dispersive X-ray spectroscopy or EDS), of a small sample of the metal. You'll then know the alloy. Just ask if they have a scanning electron microscope (SEM), and if so, ask if they are equipped for EDS. It shouldn't cost you anything because this is exactly the sort of real-world situation a professor wants his/her students to deal with.

Obviously this won't tell you the quality of the piston, but if the alloy is the same as an OEM piston, it is less likely to be a junk copy where little thought would be given to alloy.

Unless of course your local university only thrives for non-acedemic reasons then good luck!

I was actually wondering what they were myself. The piston I just got to put in my Echo CS-900EVL is the same brand but there was no name I could see. The piston was a very nice looking one and I was pleased with it before the install.

I am now very pleased with it after the install. not even a tank threw this saw and it will almost hold itself up with the 36" bar on it. Not bad for a full mag 92cc beast.

<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uxHZbB3mFlM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uxHZbB3mFlM&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

Are you kidding?????

It is a piston.....for a chainsaw!
How anal can a person get?
"...composition of the metal".

What is the composition of the metal in an OEM Stihl, Husky, Dolmar or Echo piston?

Mike

Are you kidding?????

It is a piston.....for a chainsaw!
How anal can a person get?
"...composition of the metal".

What is the composition of the metal in an OEM Stihl, Husky, Dolmar or Echo piston?

Mike

I'd guess it's a aluiminum alloy that has a high content of silicon in it:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back