intermittent flooding on new husky climbing saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy4trees

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have a top handle 540 XP which I got new last summer. It's not an everyday saw so hours are pretty low. Every once in a while it starts smelling like gas and takes about 25 pulls to get started. other than that it perfrms as advertised.. I don;t really di having to tune the saw every cold start, but its no big deal... I however don;t like having a problem when I AM rigging big trees... its like a game of chess, thinking ahead and carefully observing the way things move .. then the saw won;t start and it gets me out of the flow. And any feelings of frustration can be a big distraction. Dealer says he'll look at it under warrenty.... tried to tell me it was operator error for not using the high idle starting position... seems like its been a little better since then, but that's not it.. something else is going on..
anyone dealt with this problem before????

I like the saw casue its light, but having a 200t start on the first pull every time is a good feeling.

thanks,
Daniel

Is this happening when the saw is nice and hot, or the first time you start in the morning? My guess is you're having issues after you shutdown the saw for a few minutes than try to restart.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Let the dealer look into it and let Husqvarna fix it under warranty. Quite a few 540XP's seem to suffer from a number of fuel-related issues which are destroying the saw's reputation, so much Husqvarna here dropped the price by a massive (by their standards) 30%.

Had the same issue with mine, would flood after about a half hour hanging on my saddle and get harder and harder to start until I wanted to chuck it out of the tree. Took it into the dealer under warranty and they modified the fuel tank vent. No issues since then but I have only had it back for a few days. Seems to be running better than ever though.
There is a tsb from husky about this problem I'll see if I can find it.

I have a top handle 540 XP which I got new last summer. It's not an everyday saw so hours are pretty low. Every once in a while it starts smelling like gas and takes about 25 pulls to get started. other than that it perfrms as advertised.. I don;t really di having to tune the saw every cold start, but its no big deal... I however don;t like having a problem when I AM rigging big trees... its like a game of chess, thinking ahead and carefully observing the way things move .. then the saw won;t start and it gets me out of the flow. And any feelings of frustration can be a big distraction. Dealer says he'll look at it under warrenty.... tried to tell me it was operator error for not using the high idle starting position... seems like its been a little better since then, but that's not it.. something else is going on..
anyone dealt with this problem before????

I like the saw casue its light, but having a 200t start on the first pull every time is a good feeling.

thanks,
Daniel

Most likely cause, dirty carb, or if left sitting it can be a hardening diaphragm, I tend to think this could be the cause for the smell of petrol, or a perforated diaphragm, look for petrol under carb when you smell this,, try cleaning carb, replacing diaphragm and needle and set.

Back