Intro and another 'newb needs a new small saw' thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XJWoody

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hi All. Thanks for the great forums and cast of lively characters! I found y'all a few days ago while surfing the web for chainsaw advice.

We (wife mostly) need a new saw to replace a well-used Husky 41. While some cast these small ones off as 'toy' saws, we got our money's worth from this one. She wants another small 16" b/c saw, and my research points up three that interest me:
Hq 353
Hq 346XP
St MS260 pro.

The small saw would be used for felling limbing and blocking smaller trees for firewood, limbing out larger trees, and storm cleanup when necessary. Probable use of maybe 30-40 hours yearly.

Either brand is well-supported with dealers locally (2 within 15 mi of home sell both, 2 within 10 min of work sell either, and a AS site sponsor's store is 1hr north) I could probably get a small 'employee discount' at one of the Stihl shops through my son in law... however I can save some grief from my boss by buying all-orange, and from Amick's would be even better (that's where his family buys their oranges...)

Are there any compelling reasons (other than self satisfaction that means -zero to Mrs XJWoody) to pick the more pricy 'XP' or 'pro' models over the yeoman versions? The MS260P has the edge in power to weight ratio, but is that all that considering the use? The MS-Pro or XP would have higher resale, but the plan is to keep it and use it for years.

Thanks in advance!

Don "XJWoody" Woodward

Last edited:
Welcome to arboristsite!

Your question has been asked a number of times before, so here's the summary:

1. You're looking at three superb saw models. You really can't go wrong with any of them.

2. MS260/260Pro - great saw, reliable as can be. Inferior air filtration and anti-vibe to the modern Husqvarnas, but superior to that of your old 41. I have run both Stihl and Husqvarna/Jonsered offerings in this class and prefer the feel of the Stihl in my hands. With the muffler opened back up (and, of course, the carb properly retuned) it does a very respectable job with a 16" bar and chain in hardwood. The Pro adds deompression and an adjustable oiler, both of which I suspect you can live without.

3. Husqvarna 346xp - great saw, high revving with a very narrow powerband. Would be my first choice of your three for a limbing-only saw with a very short bar, but not for an all-around saw such as you seem to be seeking.

4. Husqvarna 353 - same saw as the 346xp, but with a different piston/cylinder, yielding a wider and more forgiving powerband. A better choice for an all-around saw, and a few bucks less than the 346xp, too.

In summary, for an all-around saw I'd encourage you to go with the 260 or 353 depending on which one feels best in your hands.

Of the saws you are talking about I have a 026 and a 260 pro
my wife can start the 260 pro much easier using the decompression vale
than the non-pro 026. I know allot of people say the 260 don't need
the decomp, If a saw has it I use it.

another saw

:notrolls2:
i run the ms 260 pro it is a good light weight saw:hmm3grin2orange:
only thing that sucks on my stihl is the safety chain:laugh:

One more thing that gets said in all these threads:

Go for a little trip around the local dealers, take your wife. Pick up an MS260Pro, look it over, fiddle with it, see how it feels, talk to the guy. Pick up a 353, look it over, fiddle with it, see how it feels, talk to the guy. If you can, pick up a 5100 and do the same. Can't go wrong.

I'll agree with computeruser; 346XP is an awesome little saw but for all-around versatility I'd pick the 353 over it. Cheaper, but still built to the same standards.

Trigger-Time said:
Of the saws you are talking about I have a 026 and a 260 pro
my wife can start the 260 pro much easier using the decompression vale
than the non-pro 026. I know allot of people say the 260 don't need
the decomp, If a saw has it I use it.

Agreed. The adjustable oiler and decomp are worth the $40 or so IMO.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Thanks guys

That helps narrow it down to four? ;) Actually looked over the D5100 but dunno if Momma wants/needs a 50cc saw (for her womanly sawing chores LOL) although it's light & powerful -on paper- and in the price-range, and Amick's is just up the road. I wonder if she/we could demo one sbs against a 353 and a 260P?

I'm not a typical 'homeowner' that is fully price-driven. Some years ago, I ran a Snap-on Tool route, and was schooled hard about cost of doing business, volume vs service, etc... Before that though, I made a decent living as an industrial tech using mostly (cheap but readily available) Craftsman tools so????

Edit... I guess they all are low 50cc saws in this class... nevermind since as long as it's reasonably light, reliable and peppy, momma won't know or care what the displacement is.

Last edited:
Well, I will thow in m .02, I heard nothing but good about the 346, I bought one, after tearing it down twice and modding the cylinder, I am happy with it, kinda. I see where it has it's place, run and gun knocking off the small stuff before you get out the big gun, but I wanted an intermediate gun. For an all around saw and a person with limeted experiance (I will include myself here) it won't be you're cup of tee! Save you're money and buy a 350. The 353 seems to be a very nice saw, and what I originaly wanted BTW, the 260 has had it's day. I think the one to beat, while we can still get thet (EPA) is the 5100!!

Let the bashing begin:buttkick:
Andy

I know allot of people say the 026/260 is a old style saw, But
my 026 is 15 years old and still going strong. I bought it used
so I don't no how much it has had used before me. If they were
a bad saw they would stopped making them years ago. As you
can tell I like the 026/260 saws ;)

Seems like the 353 is the better value these days at someplace like Amick's, vs, $500 for an MS260 at the local Stihl dealer here. (Or the Dolmar, I forget if someone made the obligitory mention)
My 026 has been great, but that was bought new in '94.

Fiddling... what to look for?

My experience with that old Husky was through several b/c, plugs, and that's it. I wore the sprocket out once and replaced it... it really only needs a kill switch/wires and some love to the chain brake and we probably don't need a 'momma saw' then... but having fresh eqpt. isn't a bad thing. Considering the (ab)use it got, it was 9.5/10 reliable and 10/10 through most of it's life.

I've had to fiddle with the kill switch/choke assembly on an 029 Super. (the plastic cam rod that actuates the choke & kill gets out of place/fouled up just from switching it off) Is this a common Stihl trait? It's aggravating. but I love that QD cover for it.

For 30-40 hrs of cutting a year (less than 1 hr a week)...get a 350 at Amicks for $290 or a 353 for another ~$60.

The 260P has been one hell of a saw. And as heard here the people that own one have owned it for many years.

Welcome, I don't run Husky's so I am unable to comment on them. The only place you can find them in my part of Texas is at the Tractor Supply and Lowe's stores. Dealers quit handling them years ago,

Of those saws i would pick the 353, its second lightest (after 346) and for all-around cutting its propably the best...

353 or 5100. The 5100 will run circles around the 353, but it is also heavier and does not have a decomp. I have both and prefer the 5100, but if the woman is going to be running it alot, the pound wieght savings of the 353 and the decomp will make it a more user friendly saw to her than the powerhouse 5100.

my .02 cents.

Freakingstang said:
353 or 5100. The 5100 will run circles around the 353, but it is also heavier and does not have a decomp. .... wieght savings of the 353 and the decomp will make it a more user friendly saw to her than the powerhouse 5100.

my .02 cents.

I totally agree (even though I have never run a 5100)!:biggrinbounce2:

Btw, the 346xp doesn't have a decomp valve either....

The 353 is a very nice and user friendly saw!

blis said:
Of those saws i would pick the 353, its second lightest (after 346) and for all-around cutting its propably the best...

Sorry Blis, but that simply isn't true - the 260 is lighter, about the same as the 346xp......

...but I wouldn't buy the 260, due to the lackluster anti-vibe and air filter system.

SawTroll said:
Sorry Blis, but that simply isn't true - the 260 is lighter, about the same as the 346xp......

...but I wouldn't buy the 260, due to the lackluster anti-vibe and air filter system.

well, it doesnt matter since 353 feels lightest in my hands :hmm3grin2orange:

The balance of saw and such things affects alot how heavy the saw feels, for example the 242xpg feels heavier than 353g , which it isnt according to specs...

Back