Intro and Yet another "which saw" question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drivadesl

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, first post for me. This is a fantastik site, it touches on many of the subjects which I have interests, so let me first thank you all for providing so much interesting reading material, and knowledge base to tap into. I like to mess around in the outdoors, do some woodworking, and like tools, so you can see how this lines up with this site. Since I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to chainsaws, I felt the need to ask for some advice. Currently I have an MS-361, which I bought a few years back to use for cutting firewood. I also have an Echo CS-3000 which I bought to use around the yard. I find it pretty easy to get free firewood from people advertising on craigs list, but also find that a lot of whats left is in the larger 30-40" diameters, and needs cutting to length. I've used the stihl with the 20" blade, and it is plenty strong, but would like to have something larger so I dont burn this one out and can also cut faster. My local dealer is having a tent sale for equipment that he says is not selling to well, and wants to move. He has a new MS-650, 25" bar, I can get for about $780. This seems a decent deal I believe it lists for $910. Is the MS-650 the way to go? Is it the same quality as the MS-660 at $1150, or should I spend the big $. Reality is I won't use this more than a dozen times a year so its not a need, but I do want the right tool when needed. Am I looking at to big a saw, or should I consider something smaller? I've considered putting a bigger bar on my MS-361, but prefer to get something to dedicate to larger cuts. Thanks for any replys and sorry for the long post.

Hey guys, first post for me. This is a fantastik site, it touches on many of the subjects which I have interests, so let me first thank you all for providing so much interesting reading material, and knowledge base to tap into. I like to mess around in the outdoors, do some woodworking, and like tools, so you can see how this lines up with this site. Since I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to chainsaws, I felt the need to ask for some advice. Currently I have an MS-361, which I bought a few years back to use for cutting firewood. I also have an Echo CS-3000 which I bought to use around the yard. I find it pretty easy to get free firewood from people advertising on craigs list, but also find that a lot of whats left is in the larger 30-40" diameters, and needs cutting to length. I've used the stihl with the 20" blade, and it is plenty strong, but would like to have something larger so I dont burn this one out and can also cut faster. My local dealer is having a tent sale for equipment that he says is not selling to well, and wants to move. He has a new MS-650, 25" bar, I can get for about $780. This seems a decent deal I believe it lists for $910. Is the MS-650 the way to go? Is it the same quality as the MS-660 at $1150, or should I spend the big $. Reality is I won't use this more than a dozen times a year so its not a need, but I do want the right tool when needed. Am I looking at to big a saw, or should I consider something smaller? I've considered putting a bigger bar on my MS-361, but prefer to get something to dedicate to larger cuts. Thanks for any replys and sorry for the long post.

If you have any Dolmar dealers around your area, you might want to check out the PS-7900. Up to 32" bar, 4.8cu (79cc) 6.3HP. Price will vary, but is similar to what you mentioned for that MS-650. The PS-7900 has about the same power, but is much lighter, at 13.6 lbs.

Last edited:
The 650 is a 660 with a smaller engine and less power, that's why they are hard to sell.

130$ off sure wouldn't make me bite, if I really wanted a 660..........

For the price on the 65 it's sounding like a good deal! I would have him put on at least a 28" bar. It's about the same build as the 660 and the same weight, but less power. Kinda a saw without a need.
It is a lot to lugg around after using you're 361, but a deal nonetheless!!!!

Thanks guys. Since I've got a Stihl trimmer, and the 361, and I'm very satisfied with them, and the dealer has been top notch to deal with, I'll stick with a Stihl for this purchase. Yeah it seems on this site most seem to bypass the MS-650 and go right to the 660. Makes sense if prices are close enough. I figure if I can save $350 that might be enough to sway me. Specially since I'm not using this everyday. Also, the 28" bar would be my choice to start, though, and maybe consider larger one if really needed later. The sale is at the end of the month, so I got a week or so to think about it. Maybe I'll ride over there tomorrow and poke around a bit. Thanks again.

drivadesl

If you are only using it a few times a year. I would suggest buying a good used 066.
I sell several a month on eBay. Shortly I will be selling one with one of my famous modified exhausts on it.
The 066 is a logging saw. A very well maintaintained used saw will outlast you. And you could save as much as $600 off the price of a new saw. That much money put back into a saw via extra HP modifications will yeild a saw that runs better and faster than a new saw. And a saw that will send your freinds running screaming praises when you are chopping firewood cookies.

Back