Iowa Fall 2012 GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will be enroute to (or from) the Black Hills at about that time in Oct. The reason for my journey dictates having a small fleet of saws on board as well. I would be thrilled if srcarr52 showed up with his home brewed mill... cuz I really need a crash course on the whole chainsaw milling thing.

I plan on going... like I would miss an Iowa GTG. I'll bring the mill and a plethora of saws as usual but I may need some short (18") 2x4's and a couple of flat boards slightly longer than the log to use for the guide for the first cut. I normally use an aluminum ladder section but it takes up valuable chainsaw room in the back of the truck.

BTW. I love the way cedar smells when I'm milling it... hint... hint!

I may make a day trip out of it... Only 5 hrs from my place...
Sounds like there will be plenty of saws there....
Any racing???
That heads up racing is a blast...

Sounds good guys!

As for the cedar Shaun... Ancy said he might have a good log or two at his place... I'll need to grab his trailer to hual off a couple old trucks before the GTG anyhow... Hual off the old rust trucks and move in the LOGS!!!

You know if i would have planned this better we could have sync'd up with the fall supper at my country church 3 blks down the gravel road. hmmm... homemade pie, ham balls, chicken and noodles over mashed potatos...

Last edited:
I hope I can make it, I'd really like to put some faces with some names, run some saws, and figure out what I'm in for when it comes to milling. Thanks for being willing to host.

I will be there.
Doug O

Doug! I didn't see you sneak in above me the last time I posted!!!! Sounds like there will be a decent crowd and I hear Mitch, Manly, and Shaun are going to do a build off??? Manly suggested a 345, 350, 2145, 2150 challenge!

Maybe we need a Double Header since I've heard that nobody finished their 25da's???

I'll see about making a mini mill to make cants with...

CONFIRMED!
THE BUILD OFF WILL BE 345, 350, 2145, 2150!
CLASS 1 = 16in 325
CLASS 2 = 24in 3/8
Who else is in???

Last edited:
I know I'll get my arse kicked but if I can find a cheap 345/350 at my honey hole I'll try to build one too... the more the merrier right??? besides I don't own a husky... YET!

So, should we set some ground rules for the build off?

I'm thinking:

Husky 345, 350 or Jonsered 2145, 2150. So we are excluding their mag case cousins (346, 353, 2152, 2153).

45mm cylinders with transfer covers only, so no 346 ect. cylinders.
Use whatever piston you want as long as it's 45mm.
Stock appearing mufflers, only 2 outlets allowed.
Original carbs only, modifications are allowed.
Original air filter no mods allowed.

Then we just have to decide on the b/c combo and we could get fresh loops for everyone, I'll check on price of chain after we decide on what combo. I vote 16-18" 3/8's 50 gauge. I think we learned at the last fall GTG that a modded 346 cut better with 3/8 than .325.

Hopefully I can square up a 12-14 inch cant of something mildly soft, or we could be hard on them with a dried out hard maple cant.

So, should we set some ground rules for the build off?

I'm thinking:

Husky 345, 350 or Jonsered 2145, 2150. So we are excluding their mag case cousins (346, 353, 2152, 2153).

45mm cylinders with transfer covers only, so no 346 ect. cylinders.
Use whatever piston you want as long as it's 45mm.
Stock appearing mufflers, only 2 outlets allowed.
Original carbs only, modifications are allowed.
Original air filter no mods allowed.

Then we just have to decide on the b/c combo and we could get fresh loops for everyone, I'll check on price of chain after we decide on what combo. I vote 16-18" 3/8's 50 gauge. I think we learned at the last fall GTG that a modded 346 cut better with 3/8 than .325.

Hopefully I can square up a 12-14 inch cant of something mildly soft, or we could be hard on them with a dried out hard maple cant.

BLA BLA BLA...... If you can get it under the hood of a plastic cased 350 family saw then run it... Lets see what these saws (saw builders) can really do!!

I wonder how small of a nitrous bottle they make? :potstir:

If you can get 3 cuts out of it, I say go for it... If nothin else, it'll be a hell of a conversation piece...

Or, it could just be stock appearing 3-cube...
Run on pump gas...

Hey now... What's this I see under my bench???
Well I'll be!!! It's a 3 five teeee!!!!!

attachment.php

I think it should be black...
What say yee???

Is there a cut minimum before the muffler falls off :bang:

Latest posts

Back