Iowa Fall 2012 GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda play by ear so the earlier the better. I figure we'll do door prizes, milling and carving after lunch. Dollar races and 350/2150 races at 10ish? whatever happens... happens... i'm game... I might be the host but this is only my second GTG so don't ask me for the game plan. We'll leave that to the vets...

PS: I've got a Daewoo 223 rifle with 800rds that needs a new home via trade or barter but only at GTG... I'll get appraised this week if anyone is interested let me know!

run your build off saws a little later please, some of us have a bit of a drive to get there, thanks

run your build off saws a little later please, some of us have a bit of a drive to get there, thanks

10-4 we'll run the build off saws later in the afternoon after lunch in order for everyone to get here!

PS: just got done with a friends retirement sale... And was given a few things to say thanks for helping. You can see the origional cardboard packaging under it with a 44cent stamp! Anyone up for a LONG SAW RACE!
longsaw.jpg

Last edited:
10-4 we'll run the build off saws later in the afternoon after lunch in order for everyone to get here!

PS: just got done with a friends retirement sale... And was given a few things to say thanks for helping. You can see the origional cardboard packaging under it with a 44cent stamp! Anyone up for a LONG SAW RACE!
longsaw.jpg

Now THAT, looks like a hoot!!!
I'm in!!!

Ummmm. Who is driving by the amana colony's? Running low on schild brau

I wouldn't even have to detour thru the Amanas. I can get almost any form of alcohol here in Iowa City. We specialize in drinking here.....after all this IS the home of the University of Alcohol.

On a more serious note, a small local store here carries about 400 different micro-brews and all sorts of other fancy beers. Usually pretty competetive prices, too. Gotta luv Dirty John's...

Keep in mind that I am a single mom(!) and an old wood wh#re so I am hardly made of money. But I would be glad to offer free delivery in a second, although I can't afford to support any one's drinking habits. It's hard enough to afford my own drinking 'Problem':givebeer:

Get that 3120 cylinder shoe horned under the 350 hood yet, Shaun? If not I have a nice 394 jug for ya :rock:

Well hoping to get there by 10. im about 5 hours out so itll be an early trip. IF anything maybe ill leave at midnight and show up around 6. zzzzzzz then madness. Cant wait. And scott I will be passing 94, one problem is Im driving a car i know i couldnt haul all those saws. If worst comes to worst and you need ride bad let me know i could possibly suburban it, one way or another I think everyone would be glad you came. Also if it helps i think my friend will be there with money for ya. Who knows ill probably have some new random idea for ya too.

Hey I have this torpedo heater propane. Is there anyone that might be interested in at the guy as I will be there. By sure if there is going to be a swap deal like last time. PM if interest. It works great I now have a furnace in the garage. Im open to offers.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Steve - We need as many hunter killing as many deer as many ways as possible to try and get rid of the giant vermin. I'll wager someone will hit one either on the way to the GTG or on their way home again...

Mrs. Heimann wil be sending a large macaroni salad and I will try to get a pork loin smoked in advance.

Mark

Nathan, thought I would bring a couple jugs of orange juice for B'fast on Sat. and can sure bring something else if there is anything else you can think of. Going to have a big crockpot of chili for lunch, if that sounds all right. I'll also bring some trimmings for the chili(crackers,cheese,etc.). You will have somewhere to plug in a crockpot?

Starting to get anxious for this GTG. And the burn ban has been lifted, so we can have a fire on Fri. night! WooHoo! Guess we will need some grub for Fri. then, any suggestions?

Ron
If Friday night is in, I'll bring a sleeping bag, a pup tent, and plan for a late afternoon arrival. Nathan said he had room for a tent and an old squatter. Seems easier than getting up Saturday in darkness and arriving tired. I can throw some dry logs into the truck for the campfire.

Is that OK? :confused:

Now THAT, looks like a hoot!!!
I'm in!!!
It's a DISTON if you can believe it!!! LOL... The 79 year old retiree said it was his dads and we are pretty close, and since he doesn't have a son I am a semi-adopted son! I got a couple cool things but that is the closest to chainsaw related.

For the hunters I got a Old Timer boning knife with a Shrade blade and leather belt sheeth. Get that sharpened at the next gun show I guess...

My better half will be making clam chowder to bring.
Is she making it for you to bring or coming herself. my wife invites the other wives to the rear deck to overlook the specticle and I'm sure have a few good jokes at all our expenses...

If Friday night is in, I'll bring a sleeping bag, a pup tent, and plan for a late afternoon arrival. Nathan said he had room for a tent and an old squatter. Seems easier than getting up Saturday in darkness and arriving tired. I can throw some dry logs into the truck for the campfire.

Is that OK? :confused:
Friday night is definatly in with plenty of room for tenters! Easy to find a even spot small enough for a tent but the campers will be a trick. Planning on an easy evening with some beers and food around a camp fire and maybe even a little pre-cutting for thos chomping at the bit! I'll be taking the afternoon or whole day off to set up the logs and get everything ready. There will be a bon-fire so bring the hot dogs and smores! I'll also bring the gas grill down off the deck for everyone to share in preparing dinner.

In case anyone needs anything we have a local grocery called "Scotts" in Norwalk 4miles north of the GTG spot, and it's open till 10pm most nights. Also gas stations for those needing to fuel pre GTG. I'll try to find the closest gas station with 91 non-ethanol for those fueling gas cans for chainsaws. Norwalk also has a Mcdonalds and subway for those that might want to catch breakfast or dinner coming or going...

Last edited:
Steve - We need as many hunter killing as many deer as many ways as possible to try and get rid of the giant vermin. I'll wager someone will hit one either on the way to the GTG or on their way home again...,,,,,,,,,Mark

I WILL TAKE THAT BET.

What do you want to put on the line there ?????????????

I did get a couple saws blowed off cleaned up a tad, now if I can just get some of the rocked chains sharpened before the Weekend. If not they will still attend and sharpened if anyone wanted to try out model of saw.
I can't haul them all but will bring what I can get in the van.

I WILL TAKE THAT BET.

What do you want to put on the line there ?????????????

I'll take that bet too! Rut isn't in full swing until at least early November (possibly late Oct on a vary early year) and the cooler nights make the deer bed down for the night. Once the rut is in full swing and the deer are running everywhere at night; then, yes, everyone will be hitting deer. Insurance companies lobby law makers to keep increasing the number of tags sold to knock the population of deer down so they don't have to pay out for car/deer accidents. Alot of people don't know that the tag numbers aren't decided by the DNR... Our lawmakers are... :censored:ers!!! Tag numbers and keeping a good Iowa deer heard should be the charge of the Iowa DNR.

Back to GTG stuff...
Weather: NOAA says low of 37* Friday night and High of 53* on Sat! Looks brisk so bring the warm sleeping bag if ur tenting or a flannel to keep ya warm when ur not cutting! I'm sure these will change but at least they aren't calling for rain!
Logs: Got darn near 35-40 of them now so come ready to cut! Most are soft wood though... Sorry it's what was available to me. Bring your BIG BARS i have some cotton wood that will load up a 42in bar!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back