Iowa Spring GTG II

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man... Mike spent a lot of time and put a lot of thought into that outhouse...
Impressive...
Just impressive...

I also spent some time and put some thoughts into the outhouse, and IT was impressive!!:msp_biggrin:

But seriously, we had an awesome time and you all did a fantastic job of hosting the GTG!!! I will be coming back. Thanks again to all the good folks for doing this for us. These GTG's are addicting.

I also spent some time and put some thoughts into the outhouse, and IT was impressive!!:msp_biggrin:

But seriously, we had an awesome time and you all did a fantastic job of hosting the GTG!!! I will be coming back. Thanks again to all the good folks for doing this for us. These GTG's are addicting.

Pull muh finger.

I've never seen so many operational 2-man saws as there was there...
Very cool...
Mark and Chris brought some very unique saws too!!!

And tons of J-Reds!!! They were everywhere!!!!
Tons of great running stock and modded saws...

I've never seen so many operational 2-man saws as there was there...
Very cool...
Mark and Chris brought some very unique saws too!!!

And tons of J-Reds!!! They were everywhere!!!!
Tons of great running stock and modded saws...

I'm happy to say one of those J-Reds was mine,looks like crap,but that dog Hunts and it's not broke in yet. Thanks Stumpy. It seems the further north you go,the more J-Reds you see.
I ran several of Mark and Chris's saws and would have run more,but ran out of time. I had more fun running the old mag saws than I did with the newer stuff.

I'm happy to say one of those J-Reds was mine,looks like crap,but that dog Hunts and it's not broke in yet. Thanks Stumpy. It seems the further north you go,the more J-Reds you see.
I ran several of Mark and Chris's saws and would have run more,but ran out of time. I had more fun running the old mag saws than I did with the newer stuff.

Did you get to run Chris's Jred 111? That things huge all over!

Good to see you run your first bow saw yesterday . LOL

Uh... Yeah.... There was some of that too...
And Andy made a stool too...
Just keeping with tradition...
Displayed it by the fire Saturday night...
:msp_scared:

kids like that stool,itll stick around for awhile:D

someone left a blue camp chair,and a gray carhart coat:msp_confused:

Hey, hosky's - thank you so much for your hospitality. You are truly great folks, glad to have had the honor of meeting you! You've got a beautiful place! Thanks to all involved.

Selfishly, my favorite part other than the food, the fellowship, and the fun was getting to run my new Valentine saw- fresh from the shop of mastermind! All I gots to say is.... :msp_wub: I LIKE IT!

The weather was absolutely fantastic and we had a great turnout. Hosting(helping host) is a lot of work, but the rewards are SO worth it. The neat thing about our situation is that there are three of us that work on it together and that lessens the load on any one person. Actually we had even more help with getting the trees down than just the three of us this time.:msp_smile: The folks that come to these GTG's are some of the nicest, genuine, and generous people that you'll likely meet.
The OAKFEST sign is stunning and what a surprise:rock:, many thanks to all involved in that. As Mark said, we will display it with much pride and enjoyment.
Thanks again to all that travel and bring neat saws, super conversation and the willingness to share these.
WE ENJOY THESE EVENTS A BUNCH and think of you every time we throw a cookie on the fire!!!!!:yoyo:

Ron

I forgot to mention the guys that took care of the meat preparation. Thanks to Adam and Mike Roush for supplying the pork. Mike Roush, Robert, Daniel, and Wyatt did a superb job of tending to the smoker and making the pig taste so good and so tender!:msp_biggrin:
Another example of folks willing to help and make these events tick.

Ron

Iowa GTG

I too want to thnk the Hoskey's and Mike and everyone that had a part in the preparing for the GTG. Ryan(son in law) and I had a great time seeing old friends and meeting new friends. I can not think of a bunch of more genuine ( nice, friendly, normal, except for the fact that they need more than one or two chainsaws) people. Hopefully tomorrow my computer person and I can drag a few pictures out of the camera and I (well she) can help me post them. Next time I am going to try to figure out how to sharpen the chain for the 99, but I think that big oak log was pretty tough cuz nobody seemed to go through it very fast! I love cuttin cookies!!!!!!!!

Ray

Any time you want that 2165 raced, you know 2 hicks from the ozarks that would be more than happy to flex its muscle...
She's fast...
Just plain a pleasure to run...
Thanks Jim...

Ya ya pretty funny... Good times tho. Lots of good people lots of cool old new fast and slow saws, great hosts, awesome food. Pretty hard to beat that outhouse tho. THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO HELPED PUT THIS TOGETHER.... :thumbup:

Sent from my SPH-D710BST using Tapatalk 2

You get that chain fixed yet???
You got a dandy 385 there, use the crap out of it...
yeah there were a few DOA chains this weekend. I think Justin can grind out most of the problems on that chain though... Just gotta look at the bright side, chains cut better once they are 1/2 ground down!

The below pic is Mike from Ida Grove... He isn't on AS but those who go to auctions in NW Iowa seem to know him for better or for worse. He's a great guy and loves to take his saws around to tractor shows with his dad from what I recall. He's got tons of cool stuff and I wish I could of run a couple of his saws!
attachment.php

Kinda sad I didn't get to run a 2 man this weekend, or a 2100, or a P100, or a bow saw... :( Just about the time I wanted to run more saws the wife was ready to leave. I can't blame her though I was tired from staying up friday night till 3:30am, and I had enough daylight to unload once we were home! :) I had a great weekend all! Thanks to the Hosky's for hosting and Alex, Mike, and Shaun for felling the trees... Mike especially for the sweet out-house! And lastly thanks to all those who took the time to drive in for the weekend. All the preperation is hard work but we shouldn't neglect a thanks to those who just showed up to help make the weekend a success!

Also if anyone cares I finished the ms290 in 42mins 11sec. I also broke the grounding screw and forgot to install the inner cylinder cover. I expect that someone that shortens the grounding screw and put everything together correctly could have it done in 30-35mins.

I can't help but think these GTG's go way to fast and there is always more saws you wanted to run or another saw you wanted to get fixed for a race, did we even do any tanerite porting or chainsaw tossing??? Several of us have been tossing around the idea of a "log-less GTG" simply for trading, BSing, and eating good food...

anyone up for a Midwest Chainsaw Swapmeet?

PS: sorry alex, you gotta keep your wright until Mitch's gtg if you want a shot at the old long saw!

Last edited:
You get that chain fixed yet???
You got a dandy 385 there, use the crap out of it...

Chain's not fixed I'll need about 56 repair links if I remember right. So race chain at best haha. And yes it's my go to saw. Love how it handles and the ability to cut anything I walk up to with speed is well worth the money spent. And as always I enjoyed seeing you and Levi. Sara even said that Levi was such a sweet kid. And by the way those race chains of his are getting better.

Back