Ironhorse

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the dentist issued a bit of a challenge that the saw didn't quite live up to and BBR ain't into 288s. Me, I luvs 'em. BBR didn't really slam it as I recall, but would have been nice if he was nicer to it. The dentist is also reproducing cool NLA parts for 288s like Eliminator tops and I think he was hoping for some publicity on that he didn't get.

https://mattschainsawparts.com/prod...288xp-181-281-high-top-cover-new-sample-blue/
i appreciate you expanding on this a bit sir. i still havent heard anyone put forth anything damning about billy. genuinely interested to hear if so. i just find it a stinking yellow cowardly thing to try to disgrace someone because of this particular example. links to this thread would be appreciated although i can assess from what ive heard whats the real issue here.

If you lie down with dogs, you will get up with fleas.

What youtube dudes swinging off the donkey blowing his praise don't understand this? 🤣
Would be best to distance oneself from the donkey if they don't want he's fleas. But alas common sense is failing due to the lure of fame and fortune.

YouTube, like all forums, brings a diverse group of people together in terms of interest, skill, local norms, and reasonableness. I started following Buckn' Billy Ray back when he had about 5K subscribers as he reminds me very much of my childhood next door neighbor who moved in in '64. At age 83 he recently moved from next door to my parents to an assisted living facility. Up until about a year and a half--two years ago he was still scrounging and cutting, and then hand splitting firewood, to heat his house... a house my grandfather built. I helped him out with wood and used my 461 to cut up wood a tree service left him that was beyond the capacities of his saw.

Neither of them are particularly smart, both are kind of loud and fun loving, and they have some very specialized skills. My neighbor worked in commercial cabinet shops for most of his career and I learned some simple but important skills from him when I was a pre-teen. For one, how to apply contact cement without making a mess. When I was in Junior HS my woodworking shop teacher made something to which Formica was applied. He was making a hell of a mess with the contact cement. I explained to him how to avoid the mess... He didn't seem interested in what a Jr. HS kid had to say and from that point on I didn't take his instruction as being "the best" or "right" way to do anything... just a way.

I've picked up a few tips from BBR but much of his Vancouver Island related local knowledge isn't of any value to me here in upstate NY. I seldom deal with trees over 20-24" DBH nor over about 90' tall and all of them are hardwoods... BBR does "big" trees regularly and deals with primarily softwoods. Sharpening... picked up a few things to watch for when hand filing. His saw mechanic videos show more of a seat of the pants than a scientific approach to the saws themselves. I view him more as an entertainer than a source of information pertinent to my needs.

I checked out Ironhorse after hearing of him through BBR. Ironhorse spent a career dealing with the same kinds of tree and woods conditions as I. I picked up a few useful felling tricks that I added to my own tool kit of felling knowledge that was supported by GOL training. The single most useful Ironhorse video for me was "How a chip is formed! East coast sharpening tips!" This as it gave me a better understanding of the underlying theory/process that I needed to get repeatedly good hand sharpening results. Prior to that I was probably hitting 80-90% "good jobs" with unexplainable "not so good" ones thrown in.

After extracting those gems I've seen the rest of the videos as entertainment that I can simply skip if it's not interesting in the first few minutes. Same as goes for other well known channels... After a while the presenters run out of new material and they repeat the same basic things over and over again. I had a conversation with Roy Underhill about this issue about 6-7 years when I gave him a lead for a possible show... I knew him from my time working at Colonial Williamsburg, VA. Overall he hosted the Woodwright's Shop on PBS for 35 years. When I spoke to him he wasn't sure the show was going to be renewed by PBS and State Farm but he did get a couple more years after that. If you watch the entire 35 years of shows you'll find a lot of repetition encircled by a slightly different spin. This past summer while I was on my 1,200 mile bicycle trip I met up with a YouTube influencer in the lawn care/snow plowing business. We chatted for a couple hours. I joked with him about stumbling on his channel back when he had a couple thousand followers after like 5 years of publishing. I told him that I wondered why anyone would watch someone mow the lawn and he responded "I'm still trying to figure that out!" He has grown the business and the channel incredibly since I started watching and he seems to have some very good advisors.

There are clearly folks on YouTube that aren't worth watching at all as they aren't technically savoy nor are they entertainers. BBR and Ironhorse do have some good information but like any manual art there are often a multitude of ways to do things. I taught a "graduate class" on how to hand cut dovetails one time. On one long joint I used the methodology of a half dozen different guys from Fine Woodworking and on the web. When I was done I put the joint together and it went together the first time with no messing around. Why did this work? Because as long as you kept a few key points in mind NONE of the rest of it mattered!

I don't watch a lot of YT, but BBR's old stuff is good. He got caught up like they all do. Wranglerstar was the first that went that way real big that I recall.
Bjarne is the real deal. Guilty of Treeson is cool and humble, still learning. I'd like to get him down here to whack some big eucalyptus with me some day.

afleetcommand (@weimedog) is fun to hang out with on YT.

I think the 288 was a lot of misunderstanding/miscommunication.

It would be interesting for BBR to get his hands on on good eastern porter's torquey saw and feel it pull.

*cough* @huskihl *cough* haha
i for what its worth second bjarne butler. i think he is good ambassador to west coast big timber falling. doesnt talk much. does a lot of falling on the island as well. videos of places we could never see without the ability to fly.

i appreciate you expanding on this a bit sir. i still havent heard anyone put forth anything damning about billy. genuinely interested to hear if so. i just find it a stinking yellow cowardly thing to try to disgrace someone because of this particular example. links to this thread would be appreciated although i can assess from what ive heard whats the real issue here.
I think the problem for me was that the saw that BBR claims to be usings is just a run of the mill saw, but in another previous video he's in Walker's shop wetting himself over having it Walkerized. Well which is it stock or super duper ported?
If you say your gonna compare a smaller ported saw and a larger stock saw ,then fine , do that. Lying about it because you don't expect your "stock "saw to be better is cowardly.

BBR and IH are among the YouTube mouths that love to hear themselves talk, yak yak yak and very little real information. And about calling everyone "friends" every 10 seconds is just cringe-worthy and not a Canadian thing. As others say, skip through all the verbal diarrhea until something interesting comes up like an actual chainsaw running.
At best, a lot of these characters are just out to make some cash, and their videos are long and numerous to achieve that goal. When I post a video of a chainsaw it's short with no commentary, I prefer to let the saw do the talking. Any information relevant is posted in the description. One day when I do post a saw video unusual or interesting enough, it will have detailed information about the build, and not what I ate for breakfast, how my back is bothering me, or anything else irrelevant to the main subject.
Some YouTube channels are great, some garbage. What I do know is that as far as information about saws go, you can learn more in 30 minutes here than 10x that sifting through the chaff on YouTube.

So… How does one apply contact cement without making a mess?
I helped my father put Formica on when I was a kid. He put the cement on the Formica and the cabinet top. He took maybe 1/4 inch wood strips and laid the Formica down on the strips, got it where he wanted it, and pulled the strips out. Don't recall it being a big deal.

I helped my father put Formica on when I was a kid. He put the cement on the Formica and the cabinet top. He took maybe 1/4 inch wood strips and laid the Formica down on the strips, got it where he wanted it, and pulled the strips out. Don't recall it being a big deal.
I spent several decades teaching shop classes and no matter what, kids (and adults) can and will make a mess many times. It is part of the learning process.

That final part isn't too difficult... the glue is already "dry" by the time you put the spacers on it. The messy part is applying to contact cement so it doesn't get all over the edges and/or edge banding while working on the big surfaces. Back in the 60s and 70s it was typically applied with a brush and a squeegee type implement (often a scrap of Formica). The squeegee was to spread it on the big surfaces quick while the brush was to apply the cement up to the edges of the surface.

The overwhelming majority of users would brush parallel to the edge like you would cut in paint. That almost always resulted in the glue spilling over the edge, or being brushed over the edge. Once over the edge it was likely to gum up the router bits, especially the bearings on the bits. What I was shown was to pull the glue up to the edge with one way strokes perpendicular to the edge. The shop teacher brushed parallel to the edge with a wet brush... the result was a complete mess and he did in fact gum up the bearing on the router bit. Any time saved by using the long parallel strokes was lost in the clean up and failed bearings.

Now... I see short knapped rollers and sprayers being used in commercial shops, like the one a relative of mine operates. He has a room where the glue is sprayed that has filters and an exhaust system. Not a brush or squeegee in sight! He has an automated machine to apply edge banding.

I don't imagine BBR or Ironhorse taking the neat route. 😉

Tinman seems like a good dude just making videos for fun and to help. I haven't seen him make any promises or take advantage of anyone. Its his channel he can say what he wants. He could call us all douchbags if he wants.🤣 Some of you guys make me wonder if you have anything good to say about anyone.

After suffering through this video. I wouldn't let this guy work on my toaster.
I made it 5 minutes before I wanted to scream and tear my hair out.
Probably similar to the inside of her thighs.

Selling your ol’ lady is just wrong
I seem to recall a thread about this referencing a YT vid of theirs where she says she's cool with being sold on the 'tube for views since it gives 'em $$. Not my cup of tea, but selling a view is less egregious than selling the gal in my book.
I used to enjoy Tinmans videos and thought he was knowledgeable until I watched him try to explain how to use a chain grinder.

The issue is lack of channels that really know what they are talking about.
"Those who can do, do. Those who can't do, teach."

"Those who can do, do. Those who can't do, teach."
Actually quite the contrary and I disagree, to know things deep enough to teach others is next level knowledge, the person is definitely a “doer” that can pull it off. The exception are teachers like most in our education system that just regurgitate online courses to students.

Actually quite the contrary and I disagree, to know things deep enough to teach others is next level knowledge, the person is definitely a “doer” that can pull it off. The exception are teachers like most in our education system that just regurgitate online courses to students.
The Covid issue has had a horrible affect on the US education system at every level. I will gladly debate that with anyone, anytime. How in the hell does a person teach welding online? How about woodworking? You can muddle through basic CAD but the student is being cheated.

I think the problem for me was that the saw that BBR claims to be usings is just a run of the mill saw, but in another previous video he's in Walker's shop wetting himself over having it Walkerized. Well which is it stock or super duper ported?
If you say your gonna compare a smaller ported saw and a larger stock saw ,then fine , do that. Lying about it because you don't expect your "stock "saw to be better is cowardly.
That’s quite a stretch since from the looks of it BBR looks to have a good pile of saws, possible a 3 digit collection

That’s quite a stretch since from the looks of it BBR looks to have a good pile of saws, possible a 3 digit collection
I'm not trying to sway anybody's opinion either way . I used to watch his channel early on.
I know my own reaction to recieving a 1100.00 ported saw and it wouldn't be disappointment , that seemed dismissive and strange because of his normal behavior to getting free saws from people.
Take it for what it is , he's a chainsaw guy making YouTube videos how I relate to people is how I might feel about a situation and him and I don't line up on that.

I got to wondering how 'famous' is this Ironhorse guy, never heard of him and I do watch youtube saw channels. Youtube has protected me, lol. Anyway, I just looked and he has 30k subscribers. I would think he is not making a killing off 'only' 30k subscribers. But I have not looked into how much it could equate to in a couple years at least.

I love how in the first posted video in this thread, the son looks like a bailiff or a bodyguard looking all badass. Hilarious that people buy into these people.

feel free to elaborate. i dont think its funny. something was said by the builder of a saw that ended up with billy and so billy is crapping on the sender?
He didn't say anything bad about the saw but just said why he didn't like high tops and fibbed a little about what was done to his 394. It got blown out of proportion by some on o.p.eforum.
https://************/threads/buckin-gets-a-ported-288.24914/
Links to that forum are blocked on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back