Is $750 Too Much For A 346XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For what I use mine for there is not another saw that can touch it with me behind the controls running an 8 pin with 13" B/C.

If that's not talking smack I don't know what is. And so what if he is good with a small saw? Lot's of people are.

My point is the statement is implying that a woods ported 346 can't be touched with him running it. I beg to differ.

That saw is for very exclusive sawyers that want the best flat out performance you can get. No different from a race car, hunting rifle, or boat.

I have clients that spend hundreds on a free cat, dog, horse because they like it!!!!

I bet I would like to saw with that bad boy and would buy one if I had the cash (and the wife didn't spend it first). You can not compare stock saws to highly modified saws, for the extra cabbage that modified saw will jamm!!!

Also, how much are you going to use it??? I have friends that have 100K dollar cars that they just look at and never drive because it would depreciate too much.

I put this question into the same catagory as buying expensive art-- Beauty is in the hands of the beholder. If you want it and can afford it--get it!!!

If that's not talking smack I don't know what is. And so what if he is good with a small saw? Lot's of people are.

My point is the statement is implying that a woods ported 346 can't be touched with him running it. I beg to differ.

I've never gotten my guts in a knot worrying about who I could outwork or who could outwork me. I use to run a 5:20 mile and I thought I was pretty good, until I met a guy who ran a 4:04 mile.

I keep telling you...you're too hung up on the assumption he is actually running it. He could be this guy...in which case he would be correct. No-one would touch him.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VXVr564u1aw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VXVr564u1aw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Most competitive folk talk smack, it is part of the thrill of competition!!!

Has anyone watched pro football???-- all they do is talk smack, and do the happy dance when they are losing by 30 points!!!:blob2:

I'm not talking smack or being competitive in return. I'm just saying I've been there. I've had the same thoughts about my saws that woodyman has about his. And man oh man can one ever be wrong with statements like that.
Ain't that the truth! There will always be someone faster...

Jason, you're falling for the same line that other saw operators have fallen for. You're always going to find a saw faster than your own, plain and simple. The mistake you're making, is that your implying that makes your saw a bad saw. As a reminder, I'm not building race saws here. These are work saws. 99% of my customers are happy with my work. If they weren't, I wouldn't still be porting saws. Your point of reference in this case is an anomoly, not the rule you're making it out to be. In no way am I suggesting I build the fastest saw out there. I'm not fool enough to even suggest that.

Jason, you're falling for the same line that other saw operators have fallen for. You're always going to find a saw faster than your own, plain and simple. The mistake you're making, is that your implying that makes your saw a bad saw. As a reminder, I'm not building race saws here. These are work saws. 99% of my customers are happy with my work. If they weren't, I wouldn't still be porting saws. Your point of reference in this case is an anomoly, not the rule you're making it out to be. In no way am I suggesting I build the fastest saw out there. I'm not fool enough to even suggest that.

I'm just sayin' he may be surprised if he ever goes to a race. It doesn't mean he has a bad saw. In no way have I ever suggested that.

Some competitive people believe that if their saw doesn't win 1st then their saw is junk. In my opinion that is not true. I've never said that once or in this thread.

Infact what woodyman said has nothing to do with his saw per se. It has everything to do with his experience with ported saws. He's claiming how bada$$ his saw is. Maybe it's the hottest ported 346 out there, maybe it's not - I don't think he knows to actually know. If he's happy then he's happy. It's a great thing if his saw makes him happy. My point is woodyman has not put it to the test to prove what he is suggesting.

Claims like that will get one flak from lots of others, not just me.

I'm just sayin' he may be surprised if he ever goes to a race. It doesn't mean he has a bad saw. In no way have I ever suggested that.

Some competitive people believe that if their saw doesn't win 1st then their saw is junk. In my opinion that is not true. I've never said that once or in this thread.

Infact what woodyman said has nothing to do with his saw per se. It has everything to do with his experience with ported saws. He's claiming how bada$$ his saw is. Maybe it's the hottest ported 346 out there, maybe it's not - I don't think he knows to actually know. If he's happy then he's happy. It's a great thing if his saw makes him happy. My point is woodyman has not put it to the test to prove what he is suggesting.

Claims like that will get one flak from lots of others, not just me.

Fair enough:cheers:

What part of it is talking smack? Maybe he's good with a small saw. I have more respect for a guy who can get the job done with a smaller saw when there's other guys bringing out the big guns "just for show..."

Right on JJ. I've seen Woodyman limbing, even tho he is like, 50 years :biggrinbounce2: older than me, he can run circles around 90 percent of us younger guys who beat him at the GTGs. I think he is talking more about himself than the saw, plus smack. He knows his saw aint the fastest out there.

What part of it is talking smack? Maybe he's good with a small saw. I have more respect for a guy who can get the job done with a smaller saw when there's other guys bringing out the big guns "just for show..."

Right on JJ. I've seen Woodyman limbing, even tho he is like, 50 years :biggrinbounce2: older than me, he can run circles around 90 percent of us younger guys who beat him at the GTGs. I think he is talking more about himself than the saw, plus smack. He knows his saw aint the fastest out there.
You got that right.Talking smack and my abilities using the right tool for the right job.I haven't won a race yet with that dam ported 346:(

k.. if my saying woodyman was talking smack offended anybody here. I apologize for that. It was a quip, didn't mean nothing personal in anyways. I use a 346 commercially, amongst bigger saws. I've said here a number of times 'it's the right tool for the job' though I've been changing that tune a little lately. Here is how much I've paid for it so far:

Saw $500
Machine work $ 50
24" Carlton bar $ 50
Dremel and tips $ 60
150 gallons fuel $ 450
Mix and bar oil SIIK maybe $100
Rim Sprockets, bearings $ 20
12 chains $250
Brake handle $ 50
total $1530

I figure the saw's half done with it's life. Itemize expenses and that port work starts to look pretty affordable, esp. if it puts you to where you can actually use the saw.

edit> forgot to add a replacement bar tip $20. the 24" bar came later, hence the expense.

Last edited:
You got that right.Talking smack and my abilities using the right tool for the right job.I haven't won a race yet with that dam ported 346:(

The chain is every bit as important as the port job. Troutfisher demonstrated that for us in a thread he did. Also, if you want more out of your 346, all you have to do is bolt a 357XP carb, intake elbow, and air filter. That's what I have on mine.

I have seen ya limbing with that thing and there is a reason that you got the nichname Ninja Ghinsu master.

Well until it was hanging 2 feet above your head!:ices_rofl:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back