Is $750 Too Much For A 346XP?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
on the topic of expensive 50cc saws....

.. i just checked to see if my local stihl dealership has any 261's for sale yet... the prices are shocking to say the least

they only have prices for the "C-Q" model.. but still.. its a 50cc saw !

$650+tax for 16" 261 C-Q!?!!! i paid less than that for a 20" 361 with 2 rsc chains..

they still have some 260's left, they are $520 for 16"

at $670+ tax for a 20" 261.. how many people probably just end up buying a 362? the same dealership has 362's with 20" for $680...doesnt make much sense

Yes 750 is too much for me to buy a 50cc saw... But I think 250 to do the mods that he does is quite fair regardless of the saw it goes on... And that is really what this thread comes down to. Now if it was a 1200 ms660 instead of 950 for a new one nobody would even blink.

Oh man did you ever open up a can of worms. You're puttin' up a lot with that statement. Pretty sure you'll be terribly surprised if you ever wanna put your claim to the test....

exactly on the last part, can't say it's a can of worms tough 'cuz it's just talking smack - and that ain't nothin'.

AS soon as I would get out of sight of our house (lived on dirt road)
I would stop and turn air breather cover upside down
on the 327 with Quadrajet in Mom & Dads car. Just so I could
listen to the Q-jet moan when 4 barrel kicked in.
Think something was wrong with it as it moaned all the time :)

TT

you too, eh?

you too, eh?

I love induction sound, V8s do a good job, in my mind the king of hurricane air sucking is an H2 Kawasaki.

I have run two ported 346s, one by a pro, the other by a talented sawyer, both sang well, the 'Slinger built saw was awesome. I would have no problem with $750 for a new pro ported 346. Rather have a ported 681.

woodyman said:
For what I use mine for there is not another saw that can touch it with me behind the controls running an 8 pin with 13" B/C.
Oh man did you ever open up a can of worms. You're puttin' up a lot with that statement. Pretty sure you'll be terribly surprised if you ever wanna put your claim to the test....

You are assuming that you know what he uses his saw for...

Just a wild guess here, but I'm assuming to cut wood:hmm3grin2orange:

Well...if that's true, then 'chucker is right about woodyman's unwarranted speculation.

I just thought there might be some non-timber-related use that would justify his bold claim.

exactly on the last part, can't say it's a can of worms tough 'cuz it's just talking smack - and that ain't nothin'.

What part of it is talking smack? Maybe he's good with a small saw. I have more respect for a guy who can get the job done with a smaller saw when there's other guys bringing out the big guns "just for show..."

I worked with a log cutter from Coos Bay who was 65, and was running an 044 with a 28" bar on a job where everyone else was using an 066 or a 394. He cut just as much wood (and sometimes more) than the guys (less than half his age) running the big saws. Like he'd say: "It's all technique..."

What part of it is talking smack? Maybe he's good with a small saw. I have more respect for a guy who can get the job done with a smaller saw when there's other guys bringing out the big guns "just for show..."

I worked with a log cutter from Coos Bay who was 65, and was running an 044 with a 28" bar on a job where everyone else was using an 066 or a 394. He cut just as much wood (and sometimes more) than the guys (less than half his age) running the big saws. Like he'd say: "It's all technique..."

I thought he was comparing apples to apples, "my saw's better than yours" kinda thing. well, maybe it is. sure can't tell from here.

I haven't seen the "just for show" stuff. but it's easy to imagine.

Latest posts

Back