Is an MS 200T really THAT much better than an 019T?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mpbowyer

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have, sitting on my truck bed, a brand new MS 200T and a well used but running 019T (120psi compression). I definitely only need one top handle saw. I don't cut for a living, only 5 hours every couple weeks. And very little of that (as of now) is in-tree.

I've taken the 019T apart to the point of having the power unit out of the saw, and while annoying, I can definitely do it to work on it.

The 200T is dealer-new, so I'm afraid to compare them in wood because I'll instantly kill its value if I were to sell it.

What I'm wondering is, is the benefit of the 200T only marginally quicker cutting time? Or is there more to it?
019T 8.8lb 1.9hp
200T 7.7lb 2.3hp

In the next few years I might be getting into this more, but right now I have a 2-year-old and a 4-week-old taking up most of my time. Letting go of the 200T is making me nervous knowing it might be the last new one I'll ever see.

Help.

c62540a9.jpg

218f25b6.jpg

I sure like my 201T from Brad. More power, snappier, sure a bit heavier but strato design, clean burning and better on fuel.

That said, keep your 200T, it will only go up in value over time.

I climb with an 019T. Is it equivalent to a 200T? No, but it works for what I do. I probably climb an average of one tree per month so can't justify an MS200T. So keep using the one you have been and hang on to the 200T. You can always sell it and it isn't likely to lose value.

No, it's not THAT much better, depending on what you mean by "that." :msp_smile:

How much "better" than an 019T do you need to do your job?

All of my saws are ported except my 200T's. I can't stand using any other saw stock. The 200 feels like its been ported just as it is. It punches way above its' weight class :)

Also, after I bought one and ran it for a while I quickly bought several more used ones, another brand new one to save for later, and a pile of spare parts /parts saws.

The only saw I own multiples of.

When I go away on vacation and leave the house vacant a week or two I leave all my other saws out in plain view in the shop. If they get stolen the insurance money will buy me new saws. But I hide the 200T's away in secret places so they'll take the bigger saws and leave me my precious beauties.

doesn't matter what happens to the saws, the 200 is twenty levels above the plastic reed-valve 019T, the 200 smashes/ stomps/blows the 019T into the weeds, that's all anyone needs to know LOL

Is an MS 200T really THAT much better than an 019T?

thats like asking if a porsche is that much better than a VW beatle

But is the 200 that much better then the 201, If there selling for that kind of money I would sell it and buy a 201 when you need it, I doubt they will sell for big money for ever, at some point they will lose value I believe. This is just my thoughts, if you don't need the money and like the saw then keep it. I don't like to sell stuff so if it were me I would keep it if I liked it.

I would rather be hog tied and forced to listen to Justin Bieber for a weekend than run an 019T. The choice between dodging cars on the freeway and working on an 019T is a tough one as well. That being said, keep your 200T. If you put spikes on and climb then you owe it to yourself to use a 200 or 201T IMO. You wont regret it. After all it is making you money.

Well I think my question has been answered. I did notice that my son's "STIHL MS" can fell split logs faster than my 019T. It also idles without stalling, and doesn't leak bar-oil all over my truck's trunk.

[video=youtube;FHwWkK-dIJE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHwWkK-dIJE&list=UUzRiEcxME2EObEmQCmrAfFg&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

I'll keep the 200T. I'll always be able to get retail out of it used anyways. I'm only losing the $150 profit from it being brand new.

Now, can someone tell me why I would NOT want to use a skinny-tip bar and green-label chain with a top-handle? I feel like a non-safety chain with a wide-nosed bar would just be ASKING for kickback to the face in a tree.

Well I think my question has been answered. I did notice that my son's "STIHL MS" can fell split logs faster than my 019T. It also idles without stalling, and doesn't leak bar-oil all over my truck's trunk.

I'll keep the 200T. I'll always be able to get retail out of it used anyways. I'm only losing the $150 profit from it being brand new.

Now, can someone tell me why I would NOT want to use a skinny-tip bar and green-label chain with a top-handle? I feel like a non-safety chain with a wide-nosed bar would just be ASKING for kickback to the face in a tree.

well, because it cuts like ####. It's like buying a race car and then driving on walmart tires. 200T and 201T don't even come with green chain around here. You'd get laughed at if you asked for it. The way you use the saw determines how safe it is. The chain can't do that for you.

well, because it cuts like ####. It's like buying a race car and then driving on walmart tires. 200T and 201T don't even come with green chain around here. You'd get laughed at if you asked for it. The way you use the saw determines how safe it is. The chain can't do that for you.

I guess I should let the 12" skinny-nose bar and safety chains go with the 019T then... I guess once I get a good log I'll make a comparison video with both saws and 12,14,16" chains. Might as well.

Latest posts

Back