is cub cadet any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
im finally gonna get a strimmer. i went to tsc for the hell of it and they had husky ones for 199 andf a couple cub cadey ones. i think the lowest priced one was 105. i know virtually nothing about strimmers. im not gonna bloe 400 on one thats for sure. id just like one thats gonna still work well a few years from now.

I have an old cub cadet push mower that is about 20 yrs old. It has served me well with no problems whatsoever. I don't know about their trimmers or even if its the same company anymore.

I think the Cub Cadet name was picked up by MTD a while back,along with most of the other American name brands of outdoor equipment.These days if you're not going with a "big"name maker,you might as well go the re-furb or reconditioned route.They seem to be similar in construction,just come in different colors.Hit the websites of about any brand and they usually have some re-furbs listed.

Just my take on the current state of things.

im finally gonna get a strimmer. i went to tsc for the hell of it and they had husky ones for 199 andf a couple cub cadey ones. i think the lowest priced one was 105. i know virtually nothing about strimmers. im not gonna bloe 400 on one thats for sure. id just like one thats gonna still work well a few years from now.

husky you looking for a new trimmer ?

or a used one that is running ?

I have not heard anything good about Cub Cadet tractors made in the past few years. I can't see why their strimmers would be anything to write home about. Their main product line is relying on its reputation made years ago, back when cast iron construction was the norm.The real cheapo built strimmers have the recoil starter mounted between the power head and the shaft. The better quality ones have the recoil mounted on the very end of the power head. Look at Echo trimmers if you don't want to buy a Stihl or Husqvarna.

Stay away from box stores.Too much MTD crap.

Stihl FS55, I have 2 of them and they are great trimmers. I paid $179.95 for both of mine.

Echo is real good.Not as strong but very dependable.

If I had it to do all over again I would have spent the extra and bought a couple of redmax's.Strong but lighter and well built.

I'm sure the CC trimmers are just yellow MTD's with some minor upgrades. MTD bought CC in about 2004 and now is MTD's premium brand. I assume this is just for homeowners use and not for work. Do you want a saw blade option?
CC never made a string trimmer prior to MTD buying their name that I'm aware of.
We trim around the 3 1/2 acres we mow weekly probably 500 linear feet with a 5 year old ryobi and a 15 year old weedeater both running .090" string. The weedeater was on its last leg 5 years ago and I bought the ryobi. Then shortly after that I was hanging out at a flea-market with friends and found a weedeater leaf blower with the exact same engine so for $20 we refurb'd the weedeater and now run both. Both were less than $125 when bough new.
I'd look at the low end Echos

Last edited:
I have not heard anything good about Cub Cadet tractors made in the past few years. I can't see why their strimmers would be anything to write home about. Their main product line is relying on its reputation made years ago, back when cast iron construction was the norm.The real cheapo built strimmers have the recoil starter mounted between the power head and the shaft. The better quality ones have the recoil mounted on the very end of the power head. Look at Echo trimmers if you don't want to buy a Stihl or Husqvarna.

Basically what I was trying to get across.Spend the money for a "big name" trimmer or take your chances on a cheaper version of the "third tier" models.No need to pay full retail when the re-furbs are available.

I'll check the models that I have but the Stihl is an FS45? i believe smallest one that they offer straight shaft and blade. No complaints about 12 yrs old now. Rarely used for string trimming anymore since I picked up a small curved shaft Echo (no clue what model) for 80 bucks (hardware store going out of business). Half the weight and easily takes care of all my trimming needs...really like the string head where you just plug in 2 6" pieces rather than having to wrap string and bash the head for it to come out like on the Stihl.
Good luck

stihl kmfs 55 if your in nw connecticut go to cranes in canaan ( best around) or goffs in torrington its all you need

Straight shaft if you want to run a blade. I really like the curved shaft on the Echo, estremely light, easy to start and decent guts but strictly string trimmer. I wouldn't be scared of a used one same thing as your saws check the piston out etc...

My Ryobis are great. Get the one that has the interchangeable tools. I have used the trimmer and edger attachments for over 12 years with no issues. You have to use the blade at WOT though, or the drive shafts will break. For the price, they can't be beat for homeowner use IMO, YMMV.

You might want to look a little closer at that Cub trimmer. A few years back, Efco was making there saws in yellow for the Tractor Supply chains, and the Cub Cadet Commercial dealers. They were pretty decent saws. They are the same as the John Deere saws. If the trimmers are the same as the JD trimmers I would buy it at that price. Check it to see if its got a Kawasaki engine. If its an Efco trimmer I would definately buy it at that price.

I have an old MAC trimmer that just refuses to quit, going strong now for at least 25 years, can't even remember where we bought it? It's loaned out to my son currently, so I grabbed up an Echo straight shaft trimmer, excellent peice of equipment. Been running it now for about 4 years and it starts in 2-3 pulls and has plenty of power, and pretty thrifty on fuel as well.....Cliff

My Ryobis are great. Get the one that has the interchangeable tools. I have used the trimmer and edger attachments for over 12 years with no issues. You have to use the blade at WOT though, or the drive shafts will break. For the price, they can't be beat for homeowner use IMO, YMMV.

Well, here's an example of a re-furb:

http://www.cporyobi.com/products/zrry30550.html

Back