is it just me or am i just a crippled up whimp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to admit when working with a buddy who likes big saws I always grab the 200 and start at the tops. Don't have a 50, but can say I like working with the 361 more than the bigger ones most of the time. When it comes to a 24" white oak, sure grab a bigger saw but a soon as I run out of fuel sas I'm grabbing something smaller.

Was cutting some branches away from the house with the Shindy 500 and shut it off, wouldn't start up again. Thought I flooded it, tried to dry it out, but didn't have time to mess with it as it was getting dark.

Had two 4" branches left so broke out the 441, and it wasn't easy hoisting that thing over my head to cut those couple branches.

Bucked up the branches for the outdoor firepit and will say it made quite quick work of it... :hmm3grin2orange:

Went back to diagnose the 500, course it started on the first pull.....

Wait - 70cc for an 8" round? That's 32cc territory!

I have 2 saws right now. An 044 and 372 xpw so it will be one of the 2. I just sold a 3120 and traded off a 2153 for the 044. If I need a 50 cc saw then I just push that mess farther into the woods into a pile.

i think tomorrow i am going to pull that chinese saw and the craftsman/poulan 3000 apart to do a mild porting,, they should be fun saws to run when i get them done

The 50cc pro saws are nice to fondle . Kind of like a blonde 5'3" 105 lb. Not hard on the back , don't eat much , sexy lines , etc .

Kind of funny but I never thought of my 044 with a 20" bar as heavy. But then again I never cut more than two cords at a time either. I'm 48 and a buddy who's 62, and no wimp, finds the 70cc saws to heavy and now prefers the 50cc ones. So maybe in ten years I'll want the lighter saw as well. I can say the my 090 with an 84" bar is too much for me but I'm fine with the 60" one on it. Ten years ago I could have handled the 84" no problem but not now. Aging isn't wimpy it just is a fact of life and better to get older than the alternative.

i started out with only a 2145 or 49,,something like that. every 4 or 5 years i found myself "graduating" to a bigger saw. I thought the '59 was the bomb and some where along the way i'd picked up a lil' cs306(?) limbing saw as well. then came the day i was cutting with a fella running a stihl 440 or something,,71cc or thereabout and the light bulb came on. bought a 2171 and started makin' lil' ones outta big ones MUCH faster than what i previously had. the 2171 was a bit big for me to swing around brushing and limbing so i found myself using the lil' 306 saw much more than i use to and it wasn't nearly fast enough any more. ??? wasn't any doubt, but what i needed a bigger brushing/limbing saw so off to the stealership i go and found a cs400 featuring a 16" bar and chain. i didn't need no stinking 16" B&C so i out fitted the 400 with a 12" B&C and that seems to be "THE" combo for the task at hand.

Now, are you, as had been ask in the original post, a "crippled up whimp", perhaps,,,but, that isn't for me to decide, i don't know ya'!!!.:msp_tongue: i know my elbows hurt me sometimes and my feet get numb with back aches now and again, there are mornings i wake up feeling like a worn out broke down old truck that's been driven by a quaalude chompin', whiskey swillin' hill jack, but i still get out and get at it.

and i like swingin' my lil' saw around as much as i can.;)
Haven't heard quaalude in a long time!! 1/2 was great for a hangover! Govt. took them off the market around '85 I think.

the cs370 and 400 are smoking limbing saws with a 12" b/c,, muddawg rides me all the time about using a 12" b/c,, but they are just plain fun to run that way
guess to me cutting wood needs to be fun,, not a job,, sorry loggers,, i know it is a job for a lot of the guys on here,, but for me it needs to be fun,, and the smaller saws are just a blast to run especially my 346xp

You know I gotta agree!! My old orange top 44 is my all time favorite chainsaw!! I had so much fun with that little screamin' chainsaw out in the hills of SE Ohio. Man could that saw cut. With a nice sharp chisel chain, back off!! Could cut ANYTHING!!!

You know I gotta agree!! My old orange top 44 is my all time favorite chainsaw!! I had so much fun with that little screamin' chainsaw out in the hills of SE Ohio. Man could that saw cut. With a nice sharp chisel chain, back off!! Could cut ANYTHING!!!

What part of SE Ohio was you in? Couldn't have been far from me. LOL

am i the only one here that really likes 50cc saws or smaller??? do i need my head examined???

If you need your head examined, so do I. I cut 10 cords a year. For anything up to 18 inches (most of my stuff is 10" to 14"), I grab my Stihl MS170 with a 14" bar. I've got a new MS290 that I love, but don't use much (yet). I bought it so I could retire the 10 year old 170 to backup status. But that little sucker just refuses to die. It's light as a feather, reliable as dirt, and just a pure pleasure to use. Keep the chain sharp and these little saws do just fine.

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
I have 50cc saws out the butt. LOL And I do use them a lot with my bad back! But its just so much more fun with something like a 046 with a 20" bar on it! 60cc to 70cc seems to be just right to me for making fire wood. For a little extra fun put the 20" on my ported 064! :hmm3grin2orange: The chips really fly then! It will wear me out faster,but I also have a pile of wood in a hurry! Haven't got to try my ported 365 yet.I am betting it will be one of my favorite all around saws to use! I have so many to play with it is very hard to choose? :hmm3grin2orange:

Yah I hear yah good Buddy! When I have a Jag of wood out there there's nothing like grabbing that 79 Polished windowed Dolkita!! Man talk about fun!! That's the Cat's ####!!! :yoyo:

Yah I hear yah good Buddy! When I have a Jag of wood out there there's nothing like grabbing that 79 Polished windowed Dolkita!! Man talk about fun!! That's the Cat's ####!!! :yoyo:

I have a 6401 I put the BB kit I did a little porting on.But I don't have it running perfect yet.I know that will be some serious fun to use! I have a few to many projects to finish up! LOL Not much time for saws when the weather is nice.

Back