Is it worth upgrading from 362 to a echo 7310

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pjohnson

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got the bug to buy a larger saw around a 28 inch bar. I've been reading lots of good things on echos 7310. I'm wondering if it's going to be a big enough upgrade over the 362. I'm older, retired and just cut firewood to keep my cabin warm. I've got some big oaks to deal with, it just sounds like more fun with a new saw. I'd love a new 500i, but they are scarce and more then I want to pay.

That or get a 572. Or a good used 372xp if your on a budget. Ive ran a ported 7310 and it is just insane. Will run right with my 288xp. Can't say I've ran one stock but I will say they are great saws from what I hear. Only downside I don't like about the 7310 is the cheesy plastics. The choke lever and fuel/oil caps just feel flat out cheap. But what can you expect for a more budget Friendly saw.

I've got the bug to buy a larger saw around a 28 inch bar. I've been reading lots of good things on echos 7310. I'm wondering if it's going to be a big enough upgrade over the 362. I'm older, retired and just cut firewood to keep my cabin warm. I've got some big oaks to deal with, it just sounds like more fun with a new saw. I'd love a new 500i, but they are scarce and more then I want to pay.
6401 Smurf swapped to a 79xx or find a lower hours 7900. It's a pretty good 80cc one saw plan with decent support and proven to pull a 28" all day everyday so no worries. If the Husky guy was here he'd say 372xp or 575 I'd guess.
The MS400 modified would be my next choice going down in size and price being your not killing it everyday. They do just fine with a 24 as is. A few mods... you can run a 28.

The pro crowd is going with what they like so that won't help you much. It just becomes a bickering bit mostly.

You could go Echo 7310 but not many have the serious hours on them to see what will fail over time and use. I'm a Stihl guy but the new 562XPW ported was interesting indeed on the firewood pile with a 24. Just for fun that day. All the usual suspects were there that day but the 7310.

New is relative to your mind set and possibly a year of production number. I'm thinking you want the the newest inclinations, smooth spring AV and the better parts support although nothing I've mention is obsolete, yet. More CCs pushing past 77 will mater in oak. Cutting mostly hardwoods here so the bigger saws tend to get the nod for the 28 bar like a 79 to 93cc power head. 85cc plus for those pesky wide stumps to use a 32 although a 24 or 20 does the same job most times with more moving around ;-) I find the 28 doesn't come out till the wood is over 32" so your dealing with 34-5" rounds counting the bark. From there on up it's a 40 something and go find 7hp plus regardless of the label or colors.

Run as many tools as you can get your hands on new or not.
Decide if you want Mtron, Autotune or not. That's does a lot of sorting for you.

I would not recommend a Makita or Dolmar, and I used to be a big fan.
Makita / Dolmar stopped making gas saws earlier this year.
I sold the last Two I had, as I did a preliminary investigation into
parts I may need, and had a nightmare experience, none of the important
parts were available in my area, I imagine anyone with a few of these saws
that wants to keep them will have squirreled away some parts, the situation
is likely to get worse not better.

Buy the Echo, a good saw, and a real ripper when ported.
The Stihl 462 or the Husqvarna 572 are nice saws but they
have the electronics that require a trip to the dealers to connect
to a computer to tell you why they wont start or are running bad.

The Husqvarna 585 is a standard carbed saw, more power, and
would be great for the bigger bar alongside the 362, and no
Autotune to worry about, and more dealers scattered around.

I would not recommend a Makita or Dolmar, and I used to be a big fan.
Makita / Dolmar stopped making gas saws earlier this year.
I sold the last Two I had, as I did a preliminary investigation into
parts I may need, and had a nightmare experience, none of the important
parts were available in my area, I imagine anyone with a few of these saws
that wants to keep them will have squirreled away some parts, the situation
is likely to get worse not better.

Buy the Echo, a good saw, and a real ripper when ported.
The Stihl 462 or the Husqvarna 572 are nice saws but they
have the electronics that require a trip to the dealers to connect
to a computer to tell you why they wont start or are running bad.

The Husqvarna 585 is a standard carbed saw, more power, and
would be great for the bigger bar alongside the 362, an no
Autotune to worry about, .and more dealers scattered around
Good points about the 585 and it falls in his power range as is but will he have the dollars?

Good points about the 585 and it falls in his power range as is but will he have the dollars?
Two good choices available with the 7310 and the 585 and they come in
at different prices, can't go wrong with either, especially now that the Echo
can use a large mount Husky bar.

Two good choices available with the 7310 and the 585 and they come in
at different prices, can't go wrong with either, especially now that the Echo
can use a large mount Husky bar.

Do you have the specs for these two gathered like all the bits such as tank sizes and such?... just curious.
Some people forget big tanks up the saw weight more aka: 6400 vs 7910 power to weight changes drastically. These might be close in power to weight or maybe not, idk, never checked the facts. Good two saw plan going new and with simple or basic tools with no electronics.

Do you have the specs for these two gathered like all the bits such as tank sizes and such?... just curious.
Some people forget big tanks up the saw weight more aka: 6400 vs 7910 power to weight changes drastically. These might be close in power to weight or maybe not, idk, never checked the facts. Good two saw plan going new and with simple or basic tools with no electronics.
The weights of the Husqvarnas are in the video, I did not look how much fuel or oil
they hold, but they were both full so the overall weight is there.
The 7310 specs will be on the Echo website, I do not know them.

Yep, the less electronics the better in my view.
Ok, below is from the Echo Website, specs for the 7310

Engine displacement (cm³) 73.5
Output (kw) 4.1
Output (ps) 5.6
Dry Weight (kg) 6.7
Fuel tank capacity (l) 0.80
Chain Oil Tank Capacity (ml) 360
Fuel Consumption At Maximum Engine Power (L/h) 2.33
Ignition System CDI
Chain Brake Inertia
Chain Tensioner Side
Saw Chain Pitch (inch) 3/8
Guide Bar Gauge (inch) 0.058
Applicable Bar Length (cm/inch) 1 45, 50, 60, 70 / 18, 20, 24, 28
Sound pressure level (dB(A)) 106.9
Sound power level (dB(A)) 116.9
CO² (g/kW・h) 2 743

Looks like the Echo will come out lighter, but will be the least
powerful saw in its default state.
I read somewhere the squish on the echo was 60 thou,
so a good bit left in them, a port job would work that out of
the Echo and balance things up.
The Echo looks much cleaner less cluttered and easy to work
on in the air-box region.

Here are the Husqvarna 585 Specifications form their site.
Engine585
Art no: 970 49 30‑24
Art no: 970 49 30‑28
Art no: 970 49 30‑32
Cylinder displacement86 cm³86 cm³86 cm³
Power output5.1 kW5.1 kW5.1 kW
Equipment
Recommended bar length, min45 cm45 cm45 cm
Recommended bar length, max90 cm90 cm90 cm
Pitch3/8"3/8"3/8"
Chain typeC85C85C85
Guide Bar60 cm70 cm81 cm
Bar length (inch)24 in28 in32 in
Dimensions
Weight (excl. cutting equipment)7.5 kg7.5 kg7.5 kg
Sound and Noise
Sound pressure level at operators ear112 dB(A)112 dB(A)112 dB(A)
Sound power level, guaranteed (LWA)119 dB(A)119 dB(A)119 dB(A)
Vibration
Equivalent vibration level (ahv, eq) front handle6.6 m/s²6.6 m/s²6.6 m/s²
Equivalent vibration level (ahv, eq) rear handle5.3 m/s²5.3 m/s²5.3 m/s²

7310 is a great saw but unless you find it for 8-900 bucks I’d look at a Husky 572 instead. I’ve seen them listed recently on here for about 1k. I paid 720 for my 7310 with bar and chain and the same site is now selling it for 950 pho. It’s a good workhorse old school saw but I don’t think I would buy another at the new price.

You could also buy a 372 oe from RobinWood, a member on here, for 850 if he has any in stock. That’s a good deal from a good seller.

7310 is a great saw but unless you find it for 8-900 bucks I’d look at a Husky 572 instead. I’ve seen them listed recently on here for about 1k. I paid 720 for my 7310 with bar and chain and the same site is now selling it for 950 pho. It’s a good workhorse old school saw but I don’t think I would buy another at the new price.

You could also buy a 372 oe from RobinWood, a member on here, for 850 if he has any in stock. That’s a good deal from a good seller.
Saw prices are all over the place here in Ireland, the MS400 was 920.00 year and
a half ago, now I see them up to 1299.00, that's just crazy.
The Echo CS-621 is still under 1000.00, that's 300.00 less,
yes its a weightier saw and less power, but I would still take it over the MS400 at
that crazy price, mainly because I see not having At or MT as being a benefit.

But if I was a cutter working every day, then I would take the MS400, its all about
what suits the situation in hand, I only cut firewood when am able, and can take
my time, so do not need the best out there, just a balance of cost and reliability which
I think the Echo saws provide.

If I had to choose the 79XX would still be my first with a 585 second for cutting considering your using a stock cylinder. If he decides to ever pull a 32 or mill with a three foot alaskan the 585 becomes a must.

Haven't looked at the Stihl pricing this year but once in January. The 400 was up a benny from the release time. The 462 never impressed me enough to buy a new one. Not big on 72-82cc saws myself. They really don't fit in here with better/lighter/faster things available now. Making the jump to 90cc with the 28 just suits my needs better. Having many 60 or 90cc saws makes that easy. The rubber AV does take it's toll bucking or doing much large felling. Springs are my preference but not sloppy like the stock 500 is to me with longer bars. 572, 7900, 372, ect have nice AV imho. 461 AV is better than a 460 or 462 imo.

Saw prices are all over the place here in Ireland, the MS400 was 920.00 year and
a half ago, now I see them up to 1299.00, that's just crazy.
The Echo CS-621 is still under 1000.00, that's 300.00 less,
yes its a weightier saw and less power, but I would still take it over the MS400 at
that crazy price, mainly because I see not having At or MT as being a benefit.

But if I was a cutter working every day, then I would take the MS400, its all about
what suits the situation in hand, I only cut firewood when am able, and can take
my time, so do not need the best out there, just a balance of cost and reliability which
I think the Echo saws provide.

Agreed, I’m not a fanboy of any company but I’m a sucker for affordable quality. Echo has carved their slice of the market out from that philosophy. It’s a shame that the 7310 went up so much but I doubt they’re doing it to get rich. Cost of everything went up and the cost of some things went to the moon.

In your situation I’d probably get the 7310 over the 400 as well, I’m a firewood guy too and I get some gnarly stuff that needs the cc.

I totally understand the chainsaw itch needing to be scratched from time to time. My only gripe about Echo saws is the cost of replacement parts and the same goes for Stihl, even though I'm somewhat of a Stihl guy. My suggestion would be to start looking for a used Husky 372, parts are easy to find and you can find used saws that are a total bargain. Last June I bought a 2021 production 372XP with a 28" light bar for $320 that was in really nice shape (see 'You Suck" for pictures). As you're not on a short timeline, I'd sit back and look for deals that come your way on used falling saws and snag a deal when you see it.
I think you know that your 362 will do all you really need, but perhaps not as fast as you would like . My 362c is an OK saw, but I like my lightly modded 361 better if I had to choose between the two.

I totally understand the chainsaw itch needing to be scratched from time to time. My only gripe about Echo saws is the cost of replacement parts and the same goes for Stihl, even though I'm somewhat of a Stihl guy. My suggestion would be to start looking for a used Husky 372, parts are easy to find and you can find used saws that are a total bargain. Last June I bought a 2021 production 372XP with a 28" light bar for $320 that was in really nice shape (see 'You Suck" for pictures). As you're not on a short timeline, I'd sit back and look for deals that come your way on used falling saws and snag a deal when you see it.
I think you know that your 362 will do all you really need, but perhaps not as fast as you would like . My 362c is an OK saw, but I like my lightly modded 361 better if I had to choose between the two.

Echo replacement parts are on par with the other two, if my 590 ever needed a top end I’d buy another saw.

I have thought about a 372, but I read too much about destroyed
cases with bearing rotating around in the bore, so wouldn't ever have one.
I had a new one a long time ago though.

I see a lot of chatter about the Echo 590, 620, 7310 and Makita 7900. They are all good saws that use standard carburetors so no trips to plug into a computer to fix the saw is necessary. Since I see them in Washington State and am also a Makita service center I get parts quicker than the average owner can. The Echo 590 uses the same motor as the 620 but has standard intake and exhaust. The 620 has improved intake and exhaust which helps explain why it costs $200.00 more. The Echo 590 can use up to a 24" bar while the Echo 620 can use up to a 28in bar. No one seems to mention the Makita 6100 which is on par with the Echo 620 for power and bar length. The Echo 7310 can use up to a 32" bar with no problem as well as the Makita 7300. No one mentions the Makita 7300 which is 72.5cc compared to the Echo 7310 at 73.5cc. I let people compare both of them when they are looking for this class of saw. They can also cut cookies on white oak or fir and hemlock logs on my property. The Makita 7900 can take up to a 36" bar which the Echo 7310 can not. The Makita 7900 and the Echo 800P are very similar and both can take up to a 36" bar with no problem. As for parts for the Makita machines, there should be parts available for seven years after production ends.
As a Makita dealer I am stocking up on parts as often as I can so that I can support these chainsaws for up to ten years. They are too good of chainsaws to drop them and move on.

My 2 cents I've cut 50inch red oak with my ms362 using the 25 inch bar seems a bit short of 25 tho. If that's a once a year tree 362 will be ok but if more frequent than that just get a 90cc or bigger i got a used ms880 for a decent deal i couldn't of got a new ms400 for the price i paid for the 880. That was a no brainer for me after he let me use it for a day.

Back