Is Stihl Ultra HP Oil no good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the additives in the gas have a larger impact than whether an oil is FB or FD rated.

But that's just me...
They dont. For starters the additive treat rates are mostly very low and off the 5 or so refiners add they are mostly corrosion inhibitors and anti oxidents. And this is done to keep refinery equipment from having issues.
Some station brands like Chevron will add some additional detergent additives to their gas, but they don't do a whole lot. Universally pump fuel in this country is low in quality. And many stations add nothing.
Whet it comes to deposits in a two stroke fresh gas is important, quality oil of the right type is important and proper tuning is important.

They dont. For starters the additive treat rates are mostly very low and off the 5 or so refiners add they are mostly corrosion inhibitors and anti oxidents. And this is done to keep refinery equipment from having issues.
Some station brands like Chevron will add some additional detergent additives to their gas, but they don't do a whole lot. Universally pump fuel in this country is low in quality. And many stations add nothing.
Whet it comes to deposits in a two stroke fresh gas is important, quality oil of the right type is important and proper tuning is important.

I have seen a fuel truck at an exxon station dumping in their "special blend" of additives via 5 5 gallon buckets. I asked the guy and he said it's

oxygenates
ethers
stabilizers
detergents
anti knock agents
fuel dryers
nitromethanes.

I just can believe 2.8 oz of oil per gallon can come close to what the gas already has in it.

The township switched away from stihl everything years ago after loads of issues with new 4 mix brush cutters, that the dealer wouldn't fix. Since the switch they've been using a local echo dealer and running echo red armor in all their 2 strokes/ 4 mix stihl and echo equipment. I have yet to see any evidence the 4 mix engines run poorly on the red armor. Biggest thing I did notice is they haven't had the exhaust screens plugging up. The brush cutters and back pack blowers are in daily use during mowing season.

FWIW:
Been using Stihl HP Ultra for 20+ years (with E Free fuel). Currently own a MS361, HT101,500I, FS130, BG 86, HL100, another Stihl Hedge trimmer which model number escapes me at this time and a Toro 2 cycle snow pup snowblower. The only oil issue that could be (possibly) traced back to the Ultra is the muffler screen plugging on the BG86 blower. Other than air filter maintenance and 4-Mix valve adjustments, nothing else engine-wise.
Oil cost isn't really a factor as I'm a homeowner, not a professional.
I was recently at my Platinum dealer and inquired to which oil they recommend. It is still Stihl HP Ultra.
Your mileage may vary.

I have seen a fuel truck at an exxon station dumping in their "special blend" of additives via 5 5 gallon buckets. I asked the guy and he said it's

oxygenates
ethers
stabilizers
detergents
anti knock agents
fuel dryers
nitromethanes.

I just can believe 2.8 oz of oil per gallon can come close to what the gas already has in it.
That guy is full of it.

That guy is full of it.
Yes he is. Any extra additives for top tier or branded fuel is blended at the terminal for stations that have more detergents than what is the required minimum by law.

The only place I know up that adds their own additives is Costco. They are delivered unbranded gas with the minimum additive package and then add their own on top of it at the station.

The township switched away from stihl everything years ago after loads of issues with new 4 mix brush cutters, that the dealer wouldn't fix. Since the switch they've been using a local echo dealer and running echo red armor in all their 2 strokes/ 4 mix stihl and echo equipment. I have yet to see any evidence the 4 mix engines run poorly on the red armor. Biggest thing I did notice is they haven't had the exhaust screens plugging up. The brush cutters and back pack blowers are in daily use during mowing season.
I watched a you tube video, sorry I don't remember the channel. They guy took pictures of his piston with a bore scope and his muffler screen to show the carbon build up. After 1 tank of red armor there was noticeable less carbon, after several tanks the muffler screen was almost clean. I haven't had any problems with Stihl oil but will switch to red amour when I run out.

If I am going to use Stihl branded oil its the orange bottle. I have a Stihl 4mix kombi and I used the ultra in it for a while. It was hard starting and didnt run great. It ran ok but it seemed sluggish. Switched to Amsoil Saber or the Husky XP oil if I am out of Saber and it starts alot easier and runs better too. I dont think it will "blow up" your equipment but I do think there is better oil than Stihl ultra.

Back