Is Stihl Ultra HP Oil no good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh, I don't know. Tree service guy down the road has been using the same four or five MS362s for several years. A 394XP for several years. A MS 880 that he doesn't think much of. But, his favorite saw is an 044 that he started with. Now, he has killed a few MS200T's.
Has a couple of bucket trucks and a crane. Makes however much money he wants to really.
I'm sure he's not knowledgeable about anything.

Many high quality 2 stroke oils lack a rating simply because they haven't paid and gone through the process of getting one, not because they're an inferior product.

Many high quality 2 stroke oils lack a rating simply because they haven't paid and gone through the process of getting one, not because they're an inferior product.
Any company worth a damn easily foots the bill. In the scheme of things it's pretty cheap. And many times they don't because they won't pass. So yes many times they are an inferior product.

Oh, I don't know. Tree service guy down the road has been using the same four or five MS362s for several years. A 394XP for several years. A MS 880 that he doesn't think much of. But, his favorite saw is an 044 that he started with. Now, he has killed a few MS200T's.
Has a couple of bucket trucks and a crane. Makes however much money he wants to really.
If he is still running a 30 year old saw he must not be using it much.

There’s always those that are more cognitive of taking care of their equipment than others. I work as an arborist as well and keep some saws running for decades. But, I don’t see tree guys working, and ever think “ man, I’ve bet they’ve got a bunch of good information and tips to pass on”…. About anything. Usually a bunch of flunkies, using whatever the owner has on the truck.

But I am also good friends and acquaintance with a few really good outfits, with low overhead and highly maintained equipment.

There’s always those that are more cognitive of taking care of their equipment than others. I work as an arborist as well and keep some saws running for decades. But, I don’t see tree guys working, and ever think “ man, I’ve bet they’ve got a bunch of good information and tips to pass on”…. About anything. Usually a bunch of flunkies, using whatever the owner has on the truck.

But I am also good friends and acquaintance with a few really good outfits, with low overhead and highly maintained equipment.

Most of the time you have the owner who does the climbing, and riding up the crane ball, most all the bucket cutting, that type thing.
And, you have the ground crew that could be anything.

Any company worth a damn easily foots the bill. In the scheme of things it's pretty cheap. And many times they don't because they won't pass. So yes many times they are an inferior product.
But they don't because they know the ratings don't mean jack **** to the market.

I think the additives in the gas have a larger impact than whether an oil is FB or FD rated.

But that's just me...
I have been running Stihl chainsaws and trimmers using Stihl oil mix without a problem, but recently I had a problem with a new 362 (first tank) not starting, took it to the dealer, they said it was the gas and wouldn't fix it under warranty. I figured it was the gas, not the oil. I now use the Stihl MotoMix and the saws run better than ever. Since I only cut firewood and trim my yard (I have switched to cordless trimmers) I can afford to pay the high price for Stihl gas, but see how it would be too expensive for commercial use. I also have been using the same gasoline supplier for years; this was my first (possible) problem with the gas itself.

I have been running Stihl chainsaws and trimmers using Stihl oil mix without a problem, but recently I had a problem with a new 362 (first tank) not starting, took it to the dealer, they said it was the gas and wouldn't fix it under warranty. I figured it was the gas, not the oil. I now use the Stihl MotoMix and the saws run better than ever. Since I only cut firewood and trim my yard (I have switched to cordless trimmers) I can afford to pay the high price for Stihl gas, but see how it would be too expensive for commercial use. I also have been using the same gasoline supplier for years; this was my first (possible) problem with the gas itself.

Sometimes you just don't know. We have a MS500I in the shop that is scored just on one side of the piston looking through the exhaust port, Only 1/4 inch maybe. Looks like a little gouge out of it. Professional outfit uses the same mix in everything. Diagnostic shows fuel was running in the green during last use.

Saw is about a year old, but commercial use warranty is only three months.

Those saws aren't 100% duty cycle. You can dog them until they get too hot.
But, it is really just speculation.

Sometimes you just don't know. We have a MS500I in the shop that is scored just on one side of the piston looking through the exhaust port, Only 1/4 inch maybe. Looks like a little gouge out of it. Professional outfit uses the same mix in everything. Diagnostic shows fuel was running in the green during last use.

Saw is about a year old, but commercial use warranty is only three months.

Those saws aren't 100% duty cycle. You can dog them until they get too hot.
But, it is really just speculation.
Sounds like a cold seize from not giving the engine a chance to warm up.

L8R,
Matt

I ran Stihl Ultra in my MS290 when I first got it for the extra warranty.
Never really had any trouble with it but I switched over to Amsoil Saber around 8 years ago because I feel it's a better oil and it costs less than the Ultra.

Back