Is there a better $400 59cc saw than an Echo CS-590?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am very happy with my CS-590. Stock chain and bar, ported and tuned. If I had to own one saw, as a non-professional, it would be a 590, though I may end up buying an aluminum handle to replace the plastic one. It seems a lot of professionals have also come around to ECHO saws and use them daily. Here's a pretty unexciting video of me bucking up some sassafras that fell with the 590. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=8rqXMyoX1b8

Define "better". Apparently it is a strong well made saw with good power. It's cheap because it's lacking in engine technology, and it is common in most industries to move out the old tech stuff at a discount. Echo is now bringing out strato engined saws (550P) so it will be interesting to see what happens with the older designs. If none of that matters to you than the 590 is better.

What is strato engine? Always a lot of talk about a 590 but not so much about my 550P, which I love. My saw is about 3/4 yrs old, guessing?

I bought the saw from tdiguy. MN was close enough for cheap shipping. Shipped it right away, packaged with care. Got it out for the first time today. It was shocking. I grew up on a farm in southern Minnesota, so I've cut lots of wood. But this was on another level. It would cut faster than I could if I would let it. Very impressed. An echo fan is born.

There are lots of better saws in that price range and size but you might have to consider a used saw....haven't seen any new ones better than the Echo..
Yes, but that's kind of a pointless comparison. Once you're talking used, it's a whole different game, and not repeatable. Local availability of equipment, motivation level of seller, negotiation ability of buyer, condition, etc.

Discussing new saws in a given price range keeps things standardized.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Not trying to start a fight but it is an honest question from someone who wants a bigger saw. I know, the 590 isn't the most powerful 59cc saw nor the shiniest in the stable. But it can cut big wood for a small price, some changes are necessary though. I want to clear some trees around my place but I don't heat with firewood. So a giant pro saw would be nice, but I might not use it after I get my trees cut. I hear a 590 is supposed to respond well to a muffler mod. And a lot of people around here like their 590s. What says you guys? Thanks!

The Criteria For What I am Doing:

Small felling and bucking. Definitely nothing bigger than 40". I need to take some measurements and see what the diameter of the trees are that I am felling. No large timber just weed trees that have been left to grow for 20 years.

I would like it to be able to bore cut. I would probably change the stock bar and chain to something else more common.

I believe the 590 shares a chassis with the 620 and would accept a full wrap handle from a 620, if I needed it.

Has dogs. Good way to kill a saw with dull chains. I keep my chains sharp.

You know Echo saws are well built and dependable because they are the only chainsaw that comes with a 5 YEAR warranty for residential users. I've had my CS 590 for 3 years with absolutely NO problems. I use 89 octane gas with 10% ethanol max. with 50/1 Walmart 2 cycle oil. It always starts with one pull on full choke and one on half choke. Cuts like crazy with the original chain. I ordered a clutch drum with a rim sprocket and needle bearing from Archer (Australia) for $24.98 with free 3 day shipping. I don't think I am allowed to post a link, but they're easy to find on the net. Haven't got them yet, but they should be good quality. I have an Archer bar and chain on my Husky 444se that's held up well, so I assume the drum and rim sprocket will also.

In 2015 I was eady for a New 60cc saw. I was doing tree work and needed a good saw. I Albany swore by Sthil my two brothers all had Sthil also..BUT being the one that is bravest I said, I"m going to buy a cs590 Echo..So.. I did.. I put a 28 inch bar and good chain on it. My brother had a almost new very sharp Chain on his 60cc Stihl with a 20 inch bar..
I dropped a huge oak and together we began bucking. cut for cut I worked beside him. I never got behind that Sthil and I started on the butt because my bar was long enough to barely go all way through. He had started half way up..We finished at the same time. He was SHOCKED and came over and examined my Echo..His assessment is. Well, it's got more plastic. BUT it cuts as well as my saw, now we will have to see what time does to your saw...This is 2022 and BOTH saws are still cutting well.. His 1500 dollar saw has NOT out lasted nor out cut my 399 dollar saw..I had sold my old saw for 200 so I was out only 200 when I got my Echo..Since them I've bought 3 more Echo saws..I love them..IMHO, Echo is the best saw for the money.. The ONLY problem i've had was the Dealer I used who cold care less.. The cs352 had a plastic chain catcher that broke off less than 2 hours into use..I know it was defective and it's a 10/20 dollar fix.. He simply wanted to charge over 30 bucks to fix the saw and said Plastic is NOT under warranty..Probably all of them might be like that.. NOT sure.. BUT...I'm TOLD (not sure if it's true) that the new 34 cc Echo does NOT have the cheap plastic chain catcher. Incidentally all these years later the cs352 has NEVER broken anything and works like new. IF I were going to buy another Chainsaw I'd be an Echo.. Bought from Home Depot since I have to be my own dealer and repair man.. If you enlarge the photo with the bar showing you can see the saw laying on the stump..blessings..

Attachments

• Mybigsaw.jpg
    Mybigsaw.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20180320_173822.jpg
    IMG_20180320_173822.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
You know Echo saws are well built and dependable because they are the only chainsaw that comes with a 5 YEAR warranty for residential users. I've had my CS 590 for 3 years with absolutely NO problems. I use 89 octane gas with 10% ethanol max. with 50/1 Walmart 2 cycle oil. It always starts with one pull on full choke and one on half choke. Cuts like crazy with the original chain. I ordered a clutch drum with a rim sprocket and needle bearing from Archer (Australia) for $24.98 with free 3 day shipping. I don't think I am allowed to post a link, but they're easy to find on the net. Haven't got them yet, but they should be good quality. I have an Archer bar and chain on my Husky 444se that's held up well, so I assume the drum and rim sprocket will also.
3yrs no problems cuts like crazy with original chain? :laughing:

There are 3 of us brothers..All were Sthil guys..I'm the oldest..My One brother is a Sthil guy.. Back in 2015 baby brother decided to try Echo..He bought the 620..The difference in price back then was not a lot BUT the main think I DID NOT LIKE about the cs590 was the spur Drive. I put a Rim drum and Rim drive and professional bar and chain and We could not see a difference in the cut..He's younger than me..I'm 75 and still work some..He gifted his saw to his son who promptly put it in Storage..It might get used once a year..In my Opinion he did not use the saw enough to warranty the extra money.. BUT that's his money not mine..
A spur drive plastic handles and no need for a wrap handle IF you use it no more than 20 or 30 hours a year.. Professional guys who pack a saw and a lunch everyday need a bigger horse to ride but my pony does me well.. Everything is about NEED and USE.. at my age my little sail boat is all I need..IF I was 40 again I'd want a 30/40 foot boat..I gave my Piano to the church.. I kept my guitar..I fish seldom and sail seldom and my life has changed..SO.. we all must fit the shoes on our own feet. No man can tell you what is best for you.. You can watch the dance floor and see for yourself if you like the band..Good luck with your choices because IN the END you will get what YOU want or what YOU can afford..Be blessed..

Latest posts

Back