Is there a real chain for a Poulan?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You've gotten some practical advise here. From a personal experience standpoint, I have an Echo CS 346, the VS chain cuts much nicer than the VG.

The new VS chain will have a lot of stretch in it so be sure to check tension frequently. It will take a while, but will eventually quit stretching.

I have a Poulan wildthing and I just bought 2 Stihl Picco Micro (PM) chains. They cut incredibly well, much better than the standard chain. I would recommend these if you can find a local shop that has them. Thanks, Greg

go down 4" on the bar and get some woodsman pro chain i turned my wildthing into a ginsu with attitude for limbing this way 12" and some woodsman pro should perk that little green machine right up.

I have the Oregon box from the last chain I bought. It says "S62" and "91 Low Profile" but not any of these 91VG and 91 VS type designations. Is what I have 91VS?

Oregon's new chain is available that replaces the 91V and it is the 91VX which has the blued cutters and Oregon is claiming a 20% increase in cutting. We have it in stock.
91VX_TreeTopper.jpg

38_91vs_detail.jpg

ray benson, The 91VG is a safety chain and it has a bumper on it, the 91VS looks like the 91VX in the picture posted.

poulan chain options

Some of the Poulans, Wildthing as an example actually have a semi skip chain. Their way of justifying a longer bar on an underpowered saw. People become diappointed when they install a new full complement chain and the saw won't pull it as well. Many good options posted but if you run much bar length, definitely look into a skip or semi skip, even if you need to grind one from standard chain.

I agree with BUTCH put a 3/8 Carlton chain on it and feel the difference. that's all I run on my saws is Carlton 3/8 semi chisel chains

skip chain on plastic Poulans

I bought a PP260 display model 6 or 7 years ago, It had an Oregon made
91 VGP skip chain, found a 2 of pack 91VG & Wally-World cheap, used
one for a while, now running Carlton N1C-BL. I save the 91VG for
risky business that might involve nails or rocks.
I bought the Carlton chain from a local saw shop.

Back