is there a shelf life on cycle oil?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chevyforlife21

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
i have heard 2 or 3 years is that true? im not talking mix just the oil it self. i like to buy in bulk.

If you look around online there seems to be a lot of people saying 2-5 years, including some manufacturers. The last time I spoke with echo they said that there was not a shelf life on their product. I have never seen a two stroke oil with an obvious born on or use by date. It seems to me that lots of dealers buy in bulk as well and may not sell it for many months. If it were truly an item that expired rapidly or to the point that it was of serious concern I figure that the bottles would have more than a batch number; one cannot know how long it was at the dealer and so it is unreasonable to say "two year shelf life" to the consumer if the consumer doesn't know how long it is at the dealer for.

Logically though, if you're buying particularly large containers you probably want to ensure that you shake the remaining quality as some separation of additives over time certainly may occur. So if you're buying like a gallon at a time I'd be sure to shake it thoroughly.

If you want to get to the bottom of it call spectrum specialty oils and ask for Bob. Or call omni specialty packaging. either way.

I bought four cases of LawnBoy two stroke ashless mix at a sale in 1996 or 1997. One of the cases had a shipping invoice from 1976. Still use it in Lawnboy mowers and have never had a problem. The newer oils may have a shelf life, everything else does.

:dizzy::dizzy::

:cheers:

good points guys, i was wondering cuse i bought a 16 oz (i think) and ive had it for a year its maybe 1/3 empty, id think with the stabilizer in it it should be fine too

Back