Is this a Good Deal/Bad Deal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitch95100

Saw Nut
Reaction score
Hey, got a nice crack at a Ms660 and i was wondering if you think this is a good deal or not... im pretty sure its a good deal i just want to be re assured. Any way Its a 2009 Stihl MS660 Mag with a 20 inch bar for 200.00, but the catch is it needs a new p&c, tested about 120 on the comp tester which IMHO its a little low, lived most of its life working for a tree service and wasnt treated badly by any means but wasnt pampered either. ill post pics as soon as i get them but for now tell me what you think.
Good or bad?

Hey, got a nice crack at a Ms660 and i was wondering if you think this is a good deal or not... im pretty sure its a good deal i just want to be re assured. Any way Its a 2009 Stihl MS660 Mag with a 20 inch bar for 200.00, but the catch is it needs a new p&c, tested about 120 on the comp tester which IMHO its a little low, lived most of its life working for a tree service and wasnt treated badly by any means but wasnt pampered either. ill post pics as soon as i get them but for now tell me what you think.
Good or bad?

Good.... Buy it.

Good Deal, and what makes you think it needs a new jug? If its still pulling 120 compression #'s it probably just needs rings, and possibly a little acid work in the cylindar if there's any transfer.

Good Deal, and what makes you think it needs a new jug? If its still pulling 120 compression #'s it probably just needs rings, and possibly a little acid work in the cylindar if there's any transfer.

Sorry i should of made myself more clear. I just want to put a new P&C in it thinking about one of them Big Bore Kits, it could get by with new rings, i just want to have a little more snort in it if ya know what i mean. then i can add new rings to the original P&C and put them in a different 066/660 and mabey sell it or keep it as a back up

Sorry i should of made myself more clear. I just want to put a new P&C in it thinking about one of them Big Bore Kits, it could get by with new rings, i just want to have a little more snort in it if ya know what i mean. then i can add new rings to the original P&C and put them in a different 066/660 and mabey sell it or keep it as a back up

I would stick with the original cylinder and get a new Meteor piston for it. Either way, it's going to be more profitable if you sell the saw or just as good a runner than what
the big bore kit would provide if you were to keep it.

I would stick with the original cylinder and get a new Meteor piston for it. Either way, it's going to be more profitable if you sell the saw or just as good a runner than what
the big bore kit would provide if you were to keep it.

ill take that into consideration, im not un-willing to think on other peoples suggestions.
Either way i look at it its a good deal!

Stick with the OEM cylinder if you can and send it off to one of the builders here to be ported.Your money would be better spent that way.
World of difference between a BB kit and a saw that's been ported properly.

Only thing I'm wondering is why you haven't bought it yet?

your all telling me to stick with OEM whats wrong with the BB kits? Just wondering, cauz i have one in my 044 and its given me no problems what so ever.

So, the question is whether or not a 3 year old 660 that only needs rings is a good buy at 200 bucks?:msp_confused::msp_confused::msp_confused::msp_confused:

Stupid question eh?!?!:hmm3grin2orange:
Methinks the question was really just a "nananabooboo, lookie at my good bargain" statement hidden with a question mark! LOL.

Get the stupid thing already and pics or it never happened.

If you cannot get the OEM cylinder to clean up, the I would get a BB from Bailey's. The quality of those cylinders is terrific and as nice as the OEM P/C. However, don't expect a bump in power over the stock bc the porting just isn't there. But I agree with a Meteor piston and OEM cylinder as the first choice, provided it can be cleaned.

I have done an exhaustive search on Craigslist looking for the city that covers "By a cornfield in a box" to steal this out from under the OP. No luck so far...

Yeah the nananabobo question is true i need to rub something in your guyses face sometimes!!! Your always doin it to me:hmm3grin2orange: and i live in NE iowa look all you want lol its not there i got contacted by the guy personally not through an email.!
Oh and ill think of all of ya when im runnin it lolololol:biggrin::biggrin:

Back