is this a good deal???????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 290 is a great saw for the average guy.

New you can get them for around $359 so that is to high of a price.

A lot of people bag on the 290 but it is a very reliable saw that gets the job done. I will be using mine this afternoon as I have for the past several years. Not sure how it compares to the huskie though.

Yeah, for another $25 you can get a new one with warranty.

Good thing about the 290 is that you can open the muffler a bit and it will run noticeably stronger than stock. This will, of course, void your warranty. I have not run a muff modded 455. It would be interesting to see a comparison of a MM455 and a MM 290.

Not sure on power, but that's an old Stihl probably 40 plus years old. No anti-vibe and slow. Unless your looking as a collector, I'd stay away from that one.

That 028 is as old as I would go when looking for a normal use saw.

To respond to the original question, no I don't think the 290 is a more powerful saw than the 455 Rancher. I think they are both good firewood saws and either will fill the needs of the average user. What are you cutting that requires more power than the 455? (It's ok to not have a reason beyond "just because")

If you posted your intentions it would be easier for the members to recommend a suitable saw. Know that eventually it is going to turn into the Stihl MS660 or a 95 cc Husky or something....

i would go for the 361. but the 310 with a muff mod is as strong as the 361 is stock. so it boils down to how much do you cut and how much do you want to spend.

BTW, you have Mr. Savage's first name spelled incorrectly.

is this a good deal??????? is the 290 a good saw?????? is this a more powerful saw than a husky 455 rancher???

have a husky 445 now and looking for something a bit bigger

stihl ms290 20 inch farm boss

If you wanna spend $350, definitely get that 361 Country1 pointed out. And get it now. I bought mine for $380 and sold it for $375(and I TRIED to pry another 5 out of the guy, but it was all he had) when I upgraded. You won't lose money on that 361 like you will on your 455 and a 290. Having said that, I often see 290's in good condition used for $200...

Get that 361, open up the muffler, crank in more fuel, and smile.

Last edited:
To answer your first question No, an second Yes, third only slightly.I can"t speak to the husky 455 rancher personally, but the stilh ms 290 farm boss has been a great saw. It has given eight or so years of very dependable service.You will pick up some weight, but a big gain in power over your husky 445. 2.8 HP compared to 3.8 HP.

I have a 455 rancher and it is a perfect saw for what it is made and intended for - a part time user that still needs some power. Mine came with a 20" bar but I think it would do best with an 18". First thing I did was replace the bar and chain though (I did a Stihl RSC chain and Oregon Pro-lite bar). I had a 445 and same thing, great saw for it's intended purpose and a lot lighter than the 455, but less power.

I currently own the 445 husky. I boughtit because it was noticeably lighter than the 455.

When I first got into the whole cutting firewood hobby I was going out back behind my house cuttin 8" cherry trees off of a ditch bank.

A good buddy of mine gave me permission to cut on his 461 acre hardwood forest and every since then Ive been hooked.

the 445 has been a killer saw for what it is. its relatively light, makes good power for the size. It would definitely make a killer limb saw.

however, now that I have access to a forest full of white oak, im realizing the ole 445 is just not quite doing it when he 18" bar is burried in oak. yes it cuts it, just not very fast.

Id love to have a 660 just because theyre kick ass! but my wallet says otherwise

You already have a decent limbing and small firewood saw. I would move up to a 70cc if I were you. You will get used to the weight quickly if you are in good health. One of the guys I cut with has a bad heart and is 61 years old and he carries around a 16lb mac. Try and find an 044, 372, or maybe even a 460 mag on craigslist for $400 ish.

Latest posts

Back