Is this a good saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I vote keep it...at least till you've tried it.. Skills? They'll come with trigger time. Theres no such thing as too big ... haha

I have some great running 50 cc saws here, pm me if you azre interested.

`Saw too big`.......hmmm......interesting concept. Nice score, i`m sure you will have got used to it.

I bet if he ran my 125 he would think that the 272 was a toy afterwards.:)

...if it didn't jump outta my hands first lol. I'm a wee little man - 5'9" / 150lbs. I'm pretty rugged, but I try not to get in over my head, especially with dangerous power tools. I think after I get more experience I'd be fine even running a 100+cc saw, but for now I feel more confident with 50cc or less.

More pics, turns out its not a 272xp, but a 272GXP - not sure what the "G" is for.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Joe, if you sell it, you're fired. Have fun, fix it up, and you'll know when it's time to take it down off the shelf and run it! That is a vintage badazz Husky of the first order, you deserve it!!

Regarding the muffler, the two top holes in the muffler hanger plate on the front of the saw are there so that you can slide a (I believe) a 5mm allen wrench in. The wrench will go all the way to back of the inside of the muffler before it reaches the bolts. THOSE are the bolts holding on the muffler.

Do us a favor and take a picture of your carb and throttle linkage. That appears to me to be the right tank for that saw (unless it is metal and then all bets are off) and the linkage on the tank side should be fine. The 272 carby (although there is certainly a potential for the saw to be a frankensaw and have some different installed equipment) should be a big Tillotson with three screws projecting out the left side of the carb.... two small mixture screws and a big, flat, idle speed screw. The black plastic throttle arm and the carb butterfly arm should be connected by a very short wire linkage. It's certainly possible that someone has improvised and blown up the geometry. Replacement parts should not be too hard or expensive to come by.

This saw was free and there is no better price. From the looks of it, that saw could be put back into service for chump change. It is not a really looker, so I don't think anyone would pay more that $100-$150 as it sits... so really, if you sold it, the only thing you're going to be able to buy with the money is another Walmart special. For the price (almost nothing) you could have "big wood" capabilities. Heck, I'd keep it just for the smackdown factor when the local "he-man stud muffin" comes around with the Wild Thing. Not everyone can be a giant :hmm3grin2orange: but YOU are the big man if you bring the equipment that gets the job done!!!

As far as safety goes, the size and the weight don't have that much to do with things. I've heard it argued that a heavier saw, because it has more mass, has less kickback potential. I think that it's arguable. I think you may indeed have less inclination to flip the saw around into odd positions if its bigger and heavier. In my mind, the biggest enemy of safety with chainsaws is complacency... people get too comfortable. Staying alert and aware and running the saw with discipline far and away eclipses the benefit of say, having a chainbrake. I think your safety radar would be way up running a big professional saw. I also do think that fatigue is a factor, though. When people get tired, they start to let their cutting style get sloppy. In my mind, this is easily dealt with through awareness, but it may not be true for all people.

At the end of the day, you are no less safe for running a 272 than a wild Thing.

Last edited:
Joe, if you sell it, you're fired. Have fun, fix it up, and you'll know when it's time to take it down off the shelf and run it! That is a vintage badazz Husky of the first order, you deserve it!!

Regarding the muffler, the two top holes in the muffler hanger plate on the front of the saw are there so that you can slide a (I believe) a 5mm allen wrench in. The wrench will go all the way to back of the inside of the muffler before it reaches the bolts. THOSE are the bolts holding on the muffler.

Do us a favor and take a picture of your carb and throttle linkage. That appears to me to be the right tank for that saw (unless it is metal and then all bets are off) and the linkage on the tank side should be fine. The 272 carby (although there is certainly a potential for the saw to be a frankensaw and have some different installed equipment) should be a big Tillotson with three screws projecting out the left side of the carb.... two small mixture screws and a big, flat, idle speed screw. The black plastic throttle arm and the carb butterfly arm should be connected by a very short wire linkage. It's certainly possible that someone has improvised and blown up the geometry. Replacement parts should not be too hard or expensive to come by.

This saw was free and there is no better price. From the looks of it, that saw could be put back into service for chump change. It is not a really looker, so I don't think anyone would pay more that $100-$150 as it sits... so really, if you sold it, the only thing you're going to be able to buy with the money is another Walmart special. For the price (almost nothing) you could have "big wood" capabilities. Heck, I'd keep it just for the smackdown factor when the local "he-man stud muffin" comes around with the Wild Thing. Not everyone can be a giant :hmm3grin2orange: but YOU are the big man if you bring the equipment that gets the job done!!!

As far as safety goes, the size and the weight don't have that much to do with things. I've heard it argued that a heavier saw, because it has more mass, has less kickback potential. I think that it's arguable. I think you may indeed have less inclination to flip the saw around into odd positions if its bigger and heavier. In my mind, the biggest enemy of safety with chainsaws is complacency... people get too comfortable. Staying alert and aware and running the saw with discipline far and away eclipses the benefit of say, having a chainbrake. I think your safety radar would be way up running a big professional saw. I also do think that fatigue is a factor, though. When people get tired, they start to let their cutting style get sloppy. In my mind, this is easily dealt with through awareness, but it may not be true for all people.

At the end of the day, you are no less safe for running a 272 than a wild Thing.

Great insight, but it looks like I'm trading it for a like new condition Oly 264F. All it needs is a bar/chain then I'm in business. I'll post pics once the deal is done and I have the saw in my hot little hands.

you will like it, i was looking at it today and still cant believe how mint it is.

Great insight, but it looks like I'm trading it for a like new condition Oly 264F. All it needs is a bar/chain then I'm in business. I'll post pics once the deal is done and I have the saw in my hot little hands.

That's a fun choice.. I haven't run an Oly, but do hear good things about them. I'm just glad you gave yourself enough credit to move past the Wild Thing. An Oly of that size is a pretty healthy step up and they are nice, pro-grade saws.

That's a fun choice.. I haven't run an Oly, but do hear good things about them. I'm just glad you gave yourself enough credit to move past the Wild Thing. An Oly of that size is a pretty healthy step up and they are nice, pro-grade saws.

the particular saw he is getting needs NO work and is in very nice condition, it will serve him well, someone with less expierence and confidence can get overwhelmed easily with a project like that husky. it is a great next step up from the 30-40cc saws, get a 20 inch bar and never look back.

...get a 20 inch bar and never look back.

Thats the plan.

Well, sort of. The Craftsman and Poulan are staying in the stable as backup saws and limbing saws. Plus the Craftsman is my "rough cut lumber" saw, since I don't mind hitting a nail or three with it.

But the Oly will be my main firewood saw.

More pics, turns out its not a 272xp, but a 272GXP - not sure what the "G" is for.

I was reading through this thread and looked at your pictures and I agree--Nice Saw. But I also wonder how someone can treat a very good saw so poorly. I mean, someone paid good money for that saw and completely beat it. A wrench for a starter handle? Really, how tough is to put a proper one on?
I try to take the best care of my stuff and my stuff generally treats me pretty well. I just don't see how someone can do that to a saw.....:chainsaw:

I was reading through this thread and looked at your pictures and I agree--Nice Saw. But I also wonder how someone can treat a very good saw so poorly. I mean, someone paid good money for that saw and completely beat it. A wrench for a starter handle? Really, how tough is to put a proper one on?
I try to take the best care of my stuff and my stuff generally treats me pretty well. I just don't see how someone can do that to a saw.....:chainsaw:

That wrench is mine, when I found it there was just a knot in the rope keeping it from pulling all the way in. I just needed a way to pull the engine over, I would never cut wood like that lol.

Also, that saw is gone now, FedEx picked it up the other day and I'm waiting for my shiny new (to me) 264F. I'm stoked since this saw won't need anything other than a bar, and its more the size I was thinking of when shopping for a "big saw."

the 264 is in the mail, i dont know what i am gonna do with this, i am thinking a "junkyard jewl" thread taking this from beater to beast, MM, heavy porting, velocity stack??, pipe???? see how much life it still has in her, will be starting a thread when it gets here.

the 264 is in the mail, i dont know what i am gonna do with this, i am thinking a "junkyard jewl" thread taking this from beater to beast, MM, heavy porting, velocity stack??, pipe???? see how much life it still has in her, will be starting a thread when it gets here.

Cool :greenchainsaw:

PM me a link to the thread when you start it up so I don't miss out, this is going to be cool.

I know of somebody that had the recoil cord break and in a pinch tied a washer to it, slid a screwdriver threw the washer to start it up, remove screw driver and you are in business...only used it that way for a "little bit".. haha :greenchainsaw:

Back