Is this cylinder trash

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotherGoose

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i found this cylinder in a box of parts given to me. I don’t see any transfer but it has a small nick and groove. Would this be ok if I smoothed out the nick?

Attachments

• 45784BA1-22C6-4D5D-B876-E28BFE461309.jpeg
    45784BA1-22C6-4D5D-B876-E28BFE461309.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
Also this is the piston with it. Does it look like these are the wrong size rings to you?

Attachments

• CC77946D-68E8-4DB4-A1F7-ED00F5FFAE63.jpeg
    CC77946D-68E8-4DB4-A1F7-ED00F5FFAE63.jpeg
    869.8 KB · Views: 53
Thickness of rings look O.K. you can check that with a feeler gauge in piston grooves. As they are busted no way to tell about diameter.

You should be able to chamfer in the nick in cylinder. Make sure plating near it is not bulged out. The groove will cost a little compression but if it's free of burrs not too bad of defect.

What are these parts from? Any idea what started jumping around inside first?

It’s a 75cc 372 cylinder. I know nothing other then what I can see. Bonus is it seems to have a mild porting on exhaust and intake. The groove thankfully seems to be barely noticeable running fingers over it so hopefully compression won’t be lowered to much

Are those prices for piston and cylinder? I just have a hard time tossing a cylinder if it’s usable I dunno tho I’m still new to this game

With a little light sanding to make sure theres no high spots id run the piss out of it. I just put together a 281 with an 1/8 x 1/8 groove from the top of the ex port all the way up near tdc, and it has plenty of compression and runs fine, groove is mostly full of carbon so it ran a good long time after it was initially damaged.

Back