Is this safe to climb on?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Watch the rope on rope wear though, im not sure if it will damage your bridge/harness or not but something to keep an eye on.

I used to tie in streight to my belt for years before I started using carabiners and never had a problem.

i keep the shackles on. im glad you asked before something happend. iv been using mine this way for a few yrs, and it works fine. you cant beat the price.

Last edited:
Watch the rope on rope wear though,

this is the most important part of this post. the very most.

nails i think you should reconsider the lack of clevis or shackle.

all your weight and constant friction is going to wear on those key points of that saddle. it'll lead to early retirement for an expensive saddle. never mind void of warranty. IE no manufacturer fault if your mod screwed things up.

took me a hot minute to get that saddle to my liking and i am not still there with it but i do believe you want them on.

keep plugging at it though.

tie that double fisherman's on the other side of the clevis once you reinstall them. that way when your biners are on that ring and run'n along your bridge they will never touch the knots. much like donnyo's. IE. the same.

stay safe

You guys are crazy..... I would much rather buy a new belt than trust my life to a shackle, which I have seen come open(yes it was lock tight-ed).Anyway like I said before I have used this dreaded rope on saddle scenario for years and the result was no noticeable wear over years so .......

I wouldn't trust it.

I always have used the bowline. It is considered the "king of knots". I would never use a figure8. The bowline has a 60% fail rating. If you use 5000# test rope, well, you're good for 2800#.

I'm sure you're right on both counts, I don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm full of crap for thinking that bridge saddles suck and are inherantly dangerous by design.

It's a wonder that I'm still alive being so dumb and all.

Good luck with your high tech rock climbing saddles guys, I'm sure those bridges on them are real tough stuff, just like I'm sure none of us ever make mistakes or cut stuff we're not supposed to.

Yeah you guys are way smarter than dumb old school buzzards like me.

Carry on with your high tech education thread here, don't mind me at all, I've been full of crap for over three decades now, anybody got any good laxatives?
Dont let reach get to you, he is just pi$$ed off because he's only got 4 years expierience but still must know everthing. I've been doing trees for 20 years now and I think the problem today is too much jingle jangle- not enough cut cut, too many acenders and different systems for climbing and once actually in the tree-too little thought on what your actually going to do once up there. Call me old school. :cheers:

totally agree... would never trust a shackle for a life line attachment point. which could come undone, locktite or not. if shackle was safety wired, I'd think different.

you need a failsafe option like a rated device or go rope to rope. New Tribe Tengu Saddle uses a fabric attachment point, instead of side D's.

tengu%20front.gif

You guys are crazy..... I would much rather buy a new belt than trust my life to a shackle, which I have seen come open(yes it was lock tight-ed).Anyway like I said before I have used this dreaded rope on saddle scenario for years and the result was no noticeable wear over years so .......

totally agree... would never trust a shackle for a life line attachment point. which could come undone, locktite or not. if shackle was safety wired, I'd think different.

you need a failsafe option like a rated device or go rope to rope. New Tribe Tengu Saddle uses a fabric attachment point, instead of side D's.

tengu%20front.gif

That thing looks like a superduty bra, lol.

This has turned into a real unusual thread. At first I too thought it was a joke because of the overhand knots. When I (and everyone else) realized it wasn't, it certainly brought out the opinions and advice. I am not going to offer either, but I will tell you what I do.

I am currently using the Glide saddle that has a rope bridge that when it (the bridge) wore out, instead of replacing it with a new "store bought bridge", I cut the aluminum rings off and tied a new rope bridge into the leg and waste band loops exactly like Nails did in his last pictures (with the double fisherman's). The only thing I did different was to add a thimble to reduce the rope on fabric wear.

I also use a pulley instead of a sliding ring. So far I really like this set up. It enables me to quickly (and affordably) change bridges when necessary. You do need to watch the double fisherman's knot when they are freshly tied as it takes awhile for them to set. You need to keep an eye on the tails and make sure they set properly.

Okay, one bit of advice (and this is from another old timer, 55 years old, climbing for almost 40 years) I use a lot of high tec gear but it is backed up with my years of experience. Tree climbing is very unforgiving. When I was training climbers it would take at least 5 years of day in, day out climbing with a coach for them to gain the skills to safely work in all given situations. That's a lot of training. Without having someone to help you, you may make decisions that could put yourself at risk without your realizing it. This is a great profession and can be a long time career, if done correctly. Good luck.

D Mc

I'm sure you're right on both counts, I don't know what I'm talking about, and I'm full of crap for thinking that bridge saddles suck and are inherantly dangerous by design.

It's a wonder that I'm still alive being so dumb and all.

Good luck with your high tech rock climbing saddles guys, I'm sure those bridges on them are real tough stuff, just like I'm sure none of us ever make mistakes or cut stuff we're not supposed to.

Yeah you guys are way smarter than dumb old school buzzards like me.

Carry on with your high tech education thread here, don't mind me at all, I've been full of crap for over three decades now, anybody got any good laxatives?
Dont let reach get to you, he is just pi$$ed off because he's only got 4 years expierience but still must know everthing. I've been doing trees for 20 years now and I think the problem today is too much jingle jangle- not enough cut cut, too many acenders and different systems for climbing and once actually in the tree-too little thought on what your actually going to do once up there. Call me old school. :cheers:

Thanks for giving us your 2 cents TREE MDS
After All, You ought to be able comment extensively on HIGH TECH
Here are a few of your other comments :

I smoke pot and drink, after work and after any calls are returned etc...
I'm not proud of it….

I almost choked on my doober....

I still do the same thing at night now as I did when I was younger….

Pot is pot, its not bad….

Alot of really friggin good tree guys that smoke pot…..

Are you saying you dissagree with an employee smoking a doober after work….

I'm really not that big of a pothead, I just smoke about a half doob at night when all is done, thats all. Its a good thing too or else I would have to deal with you and kiss a$$ reach chasing me around with yer friggin pee cup…..

Remember, we're not talking about climbing stoned, I would'nt do that these days- a few times in my younger days…..

Thanks for stopping by.
Next time, be sure to tell us some of your stories of how it was , back in your younger old school days. :ices_rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for giving us your 2 cents TREE MDS
After All, You ought to be able comment extensively on HIGH TECH
Here are a few of your other comments :

I smoke pot and drink, after work and after any calls are returned etc...
I'm not proud of it….

I almost choked on my doober....

I still do the same thing at night now as I did when I was younger….

Pot is pot, its not bad….

Alot of really friggin good tree guys that smoke pot…..

Are you saying you dissagree with an employee smoking a doober after work….

I'm really not that big of a pothead, I just smoke about a half doob at night when all is done, thats all. Its a good thing too or else I would have to deal with you and kiss a$$ reach chasing me around with yer friggin pee cup…..

Remember, we're not talking about climbing stoned, I would'nt do that these days- a few times in my younger days….. [UNQUOTE]

Thanks for stopping by.
Next time, be sure to tell us some of your stories of how it was , back in your younger old school days. :ices_rofl:

So ?? Whats your point at least I'm honest- oh and thanks for taking my comments and breaking them up out of context :) I allready addmitted smoking pot- so what? I suppose thats supposed to make me a bad treeguy ? I'll take my 17 years climbing exp. over your 4 lonely years jingle jangl'in about anyday.

So ?? Whats your point at least I'm honest- oh and thanks for taking my comments and breaking them up out of context :) I allready addmitted smoking pot- so what? I suppose thats supposed to make me a bad treeguy ? I'll take my 17 years climbing exp. over your 4 lonely years jingle jangl'in about anyday.

The point is you are a drug addict.
Who admitting to climbing while on drugs.
Your opinion on climbing systems is worthless.

Judging by your post you are stuck in the past in your personel life and in your work methods.

Here's some good advice , TREE MDS

1) Get some help for your drug problem
2) Grow up
3) Adapt
4) Evolve

Someone who is still making the same mistakes after 20 years isn't doing any of the above. :cheers:

Last edited by a moderator:
So ?? Whats your point at least I'm honest- oh and thanks for taking my comments and breaking them up out of context :) I allready addmitted smoking pot- so what? I suppose thats supposed to make me a bad treeguy ? I'll take my 17 years climbing exp. over your 4 lonely years jingle jangl'in about anyday.[/UNQUOTE]

The point is you are a drug addict.
Who admitting to climbing while on drugs.
Your opinion on climbing systems is worthless.

Judging by your post you are stuck in the past in your personel life and in your work methods.

Here's some good advice , TREE MDS

1) Get some help for your drug problem
2) Grow up
3) Adapt
4) Evolve

Someone who is still making the same mistakes after 20 years isn't doing any of the above. :cheers:
Reach I've got more exp. in a hang nail then your whole body :) I admitted in another thread that when I was younger I had smoked a few times while climbing- and that I didnt like it and it was unsafe thats all. When you pretty much grow up doing treework you're liable to make some mistakes, I didnt realize treeguys were supposed to be saints. The climbing stoned thing was about 13 years ago when I only had about four years climbing, like you, and amazingly somehow I survived. I understand your frustration, trees are hard when you're not that expierienced ! Keep at er eh !, you'll get the hang of it eventully- like Jomoko said keep it simple. :)

Speaking of experience, my dad is my tree trainer and mentor, he has been at it for 35 years, and has run his own crew commercially, now we have a family gig. You know what his advice was, "run a bowline".
He is oldschool and hardcore. Get it done, bottom line. Well I am trying to experience with some more current stuff, still getting the job done though, that comes first. Take the good and leave the bad, but never think you know it all.
He told me about the worthless drug addicts on the commercial scene, well I guess the truth is out.

Funny thing about my dad though, the older I get the smarter he gets. I tell him about the forum all the time and he just laughs.

Last edited:
Speaking of experience, my dad is my tree trainer and mentor, he has been at it for 35 years, and has run his own crew commercially, now we have a family gig. You know what his advice was, "run a bowline".
He is oldschool and hardcore. Get it done, bottom line. Well I am trying to experience with some more current stuff, still getting the job done though, that comes first. Take the good and leave the bad, but never think you know it all.
He told me about the worthless drug addicts on the commercial scene, well I guess the truth is out.

Nails, if you consider someone a "worthless drug addict" because they smoke a joint on occaision, then so be it, I cant change your opinion. Good luck with your new bridge friend, maybe you can try it out with reach on some rec climb or something. :clap: As for me I'll save the term drug addict for the crackheads, junkies and meth heads.

Reach I've got more exp. in a hang nail then your whole body :) I admitted in another thread that when I was younger I had smoked a few times while climbing- and that I didnt like it and it was unsafe thats all. When you pretty much grow up doing treework you're liable to make some mistakes, I didnt realize treeguys were supposed to be saints. The climbing stoned thing was about 13 years ago when I only had about four years climbing, like you, and amazingly somehow I survived. I understand your frustration, trees are hard when you're not that expierienced ! Keep at er eh !, you'll get the hang of it eventully- like Jomoko said keep it simple. :)

Years of experience are no quantifier of quality.
One may do the same thing wrong forever.

Just because you've done it before doesn't mean you did it right.

Although your above post makes it sound like you don't do drugs anymore,
you also admit in a recent post that you still do drugs.
We only have your assertion in an anonymous Internet posting that it isn't done at work.

All I can say about that is, I'd hate to have to feed my kids or make my bills and have those thing depend on the word of a drug addict.
The odds would be against me. Statistically, my kids would be hungry and homeless.

The only thing that frustrates me is drug addicts trying to justify their behavior.
And it's easy to brag about one's experience and compare that experience to others on the anonymous Internet .
But the height of folly and foolishness when you have never observed the work of the person you are talking about.

I'm sure you'll post some ridiculous retort, but it doesn't change the fact that everything I've posted is ether a direct quote from you or the absolute truth.
And everything you have posted has been berate of any useful information and ether a rant justifying illegal activity or a childish attempt at misdirection.

Although you may save the term drug addict for the crackheads, junkies and meth heads, the real world applies it to you.
I know you think this is wrong and unfair, but....
Crackheads, junkies and meth heads, all think that the rest of the world is wrong also.
You really should get some help.

Last edited:

We only have your assertion in an anonymous Internet posting that it isn't done at work.

All I can say about that is, I'd hate to have to feed my kids or make my bills and have those thing depend on the word of a drug addict. The odds would be against me. Statistically, my kids would be hungry and homeless.

The only thing that frustrates me is drug addicts trying to justify their behavior. And it's easy to brag about one's experience and compare that experience to others on the anonymous Internet .
But the height of folly and foolishness when you have never observed the work of the person you are talking about.

I'm sure you'll post some ridiculous retort, but it doesn't change the fact that everything I've posted is ether a direct quote from you or the absolute truth.
And everthing you have posted has been berate of any useful information and a childish attempt at misdirection.

Although you may save the term drug addict for the crackheads, junkies and meth heads, the real world applies it to you.
Crackheads, junkies and meth heads, all think that the rest of the world is wrong also.

Right on Reach, solid. Comparing experience on the internet really doesn't have any merit, that is why you'll never hear me call someone "green" or a "newbe" unless of course they tell you they are. That is up to them, not me. As far as I know, nobody has certified anybody to be on this forum. Bring your material and hope to learn or help is all you can do.

All I can say about that is, I'd hate to have to feed my kids or make my bills and have those thing depend on the word of a drug addict.
The odds would be against me. Statistically, my kids would be hungry and homeless.

The only thing that frustrates me is drug addicts trying to justify their behavior.
And it's easy to brag about one's experience and compare that experience to others on the anonymous Internet .

And everything you have posted has been berate of any useful information and ether a rant justifying illegal activity or a childish attempt at misdirection.

I know you think this is wrong and unfair, but....
You my friend are a hypocrite. Thankfully I get plenty of respect from peers and customers in the real world, mostly just because I'm good at what I do. If you look back a little further you'll see I was trying to be helpfull-or so I thought, I was just defending jomoco from your all mighty, high ridding ki$$ a$$ attack when YOU started dragging it down with yer crap. I dont need to defend my skills with you buddy, its not worth it. GREENHORN.

Back