Is your heating season over?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been burning 2 years straight, the dhw feels so much nicer when the btus come from my yard not Venezuela.

Woodbooga I hope you are farther north than gonic,the liberal, progressive nitwits that live here on the seacoast turned the area to crap.

Been burning 2 years straight, the dhw feels so much nicer when the btus come from my yard not Venezuela.

Woodbooga I hope you are farther north than gonic,the liberal, progressive nitwits that live here on the seacoast turned the area to crap.

:laugh: quite a ways away. A few miles from the Alton circle. Just took 2 of my favorite Abenaki placenames, which I'm partway between.

The word Gonic always struck me as comical. Sounds like something that would make a person's crotch itch. As in, "Was on shore leave last week and made the aqcuantince of one of the native gals. Now I'm all itchey. I hope she didn't give me the gonic." :cry:

For the record, Gonic is a truncation of Squamanogonic, meaning "the water of the clay place hill." in the 1800s, it was a brickmaking and earthenware center.

Chocorua lends its name to a prominent mountain and a small village at its base. Cool legend:

It is believed that Chocorua was a real Indian, although no authentic records of his life exist. About 1720 Chocorua was on friendly terms with settlers and, in particular, the Campbell family that had a home in the valley now called Tamworth. Chocorua was called away and left his son in the care of the Campbell family. The boy found and drank a poison that Mr. Campbell had made to eliminate troublesome foxes, and Chocorua returned to find his son had died. Chocorua, distraught with grief, pledged revenge on the family. Shortly thereafter, Mr. Campbell returned home one afternoon to find his wife and children had been slain. Campbell suspected Chocorua and pursued him up the mountain that today bears his name. Chocorua was wounded by a shot from Campbell's rifle. Before Campbell could reach Chocorua, he uttered a curse upon the white settlers and their homes, livestock, and crops, and leapt from the summit to his death.

Mount_Chocorua_%28JJH%29.jpg

It never really ends all at once for me. I light up more sporadically as we get near the end of the season, but the occasional fires continue into early May. It's 22 here this morning and overcast, so I'll keep one going all day. I'm so fat on wood right now that there is no inclination to conserve it, so if it's even a little chilly, I'm lighting up.

At the milder end of the season temps, a sunny vs cloudy day is often the difference between lighting up or not. If the sun is out all day, then there is enough solar gain in the house that a fire is not necessary, while an overcast day at the same outside temp will warrant a fire.

Stove went cold last year on June 30. Definitely later than usual, but occasional early/mid June fires are typical. Sometimes for quick heat or to chase away the rawness of a dank rain.

So ole Beulah's gonna be eatin wood for the foreseeable future. Usually after May, I'm burning cookie cuts, splitstump trash, bastard wood from the castaway bin, twigs that fell on the lawn over the winter, and punkpine that was too knotty to make kindling with. Gets the oven quick enough to bake my potatoe and the range plenty hot to boil my noodles.

Sounds like a plan. No "backup", no central furnace downeast. You want warm, burn the stoves. :agree2:: rainy, cloudy summer days can freeze your little ass here.

BTW WoodB: what's your noodles ? And why boil them ?:confused:

I grew up around here and there was girl scout camp on a pond that supposedly was the village and they called it after Squamanogonic. I bet you could not find 2 folks under 70 who know the history of Gonic (I am only 52 but we were taught local history). Now the area is a development of mobile homes and single family homes (do not get me wrong, the neighborhood is nice "do not bother me and I will not bother you type" not a bunch of yuppies who want to be in your face about what you can do and how you can do it)

Quick hot jackpine fire in the morning to heat water and take the chill out.

Getting the wood I cut and split during the winter hauled in and stacked. Had about 1/2 of what I burned last winter already replaced when my tractor started running poorly.

Took a couple days to figure out the problem. Now it's torn apart. Stopped by a 30 cent but difficult to replace gasket. And fire danger is rising!

I'm not done yet by a long shot, it's still in 20°'s in the mornings. But at least I'm down to one fire a day. Inside wood furnace. Once in the morning does it.

Still burnin' in Cleveland.

Enjoy those woodbooga historical insights!

As an aside, the white settlers remembered that story well.

The mountain is best seen from Tamworth, but is actually located in Albany, which has some of the worst farming in the state. Cows were putting out bad milk. Crops failed. Folks attributed it to the curse. To this day, there's not much in Albany. Just a place you drive through to get to the Mt. Washington Valley.

Well, in the days of the New Deal, as part of the WPA, there was a project through UNH. Bunch of soil scientists took dirt samples. Seems the crappy farming had more to do with the high acid content of the soil than with an old Indian curse.

Interesting stuff.

Don't even get me started on the Gonic. :laugh:

burn until may

I normally burn into May - as long as I expect to call for heat I keep wood in the OWB. We use it for DHW as well, so I am not entirely wasting the wood even on hot days (having multiple teen agers in the house leads to HUGE hot water use).

I am getting 24hr burn times out of the pine this time of year.

Well, I let mine burn out today and that will be it unless we get a cold snap.

Forecast calls for 50F overnight and 70-80F for the next week.

I'll set up the propane furnace just in case the wife gets too cold.

The end is in sight.

Today
Mar 31

AM Showers

52°
36°

30%

52°F

Check Flight Delays
Thu
Apr 1

Mostly Sunny

69°
47°

10%

69°F

Fri
Apr 2

Partly Cloudy

75°
49°

10%

75°F

Sat
Apr 3

Mostly Cloudy

72°
53°

20%

72°F

Sun
Apr 4

Mostly Cloudy

59°
43°

20%

59°F

Mon
Apr 5

Partly Cloudy

60°
43°

20%

60°F

Tue
Apr 6

Partly Cloudy

57°
40°

20%

57°F

Wed
Apr 7

Few Showers

58°
42°

30%

58°F

Thu
Apr 8

Showers

56°
39°

60%

56°F

Fri
Apr 9

Mostly Cloudy

50°
36°

20%

50°F

It was 37 degrees last night and I stirred remaining bits of wood and coals this morning - we are supposed to reach 70 degrees today. Tonight I will put the cap on the OWB flue. I will wait a week or so just to make sure that I won't need to fire it up to get over any cold spells that might show up. I believe I burned about 7 chords this year.

Never a month without some burning here. A lesser kind of climate than Mt Washington, up the road from WoodB in NH. The summit will have snow every month, no exceptions. For us in Downeast Maine, a summer rain or fog will get to the 40's F.

We did Winter Mountaineering and Snow Shelter workshops for the AMC(Appalachian Moutain Club) on Mt Washington. Temps at the base camp at Pinkham Notch were often 30-50 degrees warmer than the upper ravines or summit, winter or summer. New students (adults) often couldn't understand why their gear had to be checked before climbing up for the night.

A nice ride in summer is the Mt Washington Auto Road, or the Cog Railway. WoodB knows all about these....ask.

i had my last fire last night. I am completely out of dry wood now so if we get anymore cold nights the oil furnace will have to kick on.

the last puff of smoke will be sometime tonight. its been in the 70 range and I came home yesterday and the wife had all the windows open the thermo was set at 71 and it was 68-69; I go down stairs to check if my zone valves are open and you guessed it WFO. I do however like to run the furnace a little in the fall and spring it needs to exercise from sitting still all winter.:clap:

Meh.....

That Nasty Manitou always gets a last shot in....after lulling people into not paying attention.

Go ahead, put the snow blower away, take the plow off the truck and plant the garden early.LOL!!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back