It's 2016 to hell with porting...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackjcc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
When is somebody going to start manufacturing aftermarket saw performance parts? Why can't we produce cylinders with the perfect timing numbers that the porting guys have figured out? It's much easier to bolt on a ported cylinder, and it's much easier to caste a cylinder with ported timing numbers than to actually grind one. It just seems like we should have figured this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Manufacturing variances play a big role here. Every saw has slightly different numbers. That's why it's best to have the whole saw when you port one. The cost to have the perfect tolerances on every saw would not be economically viable. The big manufacturers have other things to worry about than guys who port saws, EPA, durability, reliability, and again cost.

When is somebody going to start manufacturing aftermarket saw performance parts? Why can't we produce cylinders with the perfect timing numbers that the porting guys have figured out? It's much easier to bolt on a ported cylinder, and it's much easier to caste a cylinder with ported timing numbers than to actually grind one. It just seems like we should have figured this out.

just take that back

Manufacturing variances play a big role here. Every saw has slightly different numbers. That's why it's best to have the whole saw when you port one. The cost to have the perfect tolerances on every saw would not be economically viable.
So he's right? just take that back

I agree. With today's technology anything is possible. They cnc everything else. Why not a cylinder for a saw

Are those ported or cast with better numbers?

They're a production run of a prototype that mastermind built. So, cast from the factory to be a performance upgrade. If you look up Cross performance cylinders, they've got cylinders for several models. I think each prototype came from a different builder. Cool idea in my book. Still isn't as good as having someone port your saw, but it's a cool idea.

The reason they dont come from the factory as "high performance" saws is the same reason you by your kid a honda civic or something as a first car. Reliable performance is vastly more important to the average saw owner than the maximum power acheivable from each cc. Ive seen saws where the prior owner literally wrote in permanent marker on the saw which reservoir was bar oil, and which was for mixed gas, and still managed to straight gas it.....

They're a production run of a prototype that mastermind built. So, cast from the factory to be a performance upgrade. If you look up Cross performance cylinders, they've got cylinders for several models. I think each prototype came from a different builder. Cool idea in my book. Still isn't as good as having someone port your saw, but it's a cool idea.
And randy even said that these are far from the most aggressive port timing/shape possible. Still has to be reliable for the sale to the average consumer.

I was getting at having the ability to buy the parts similar to buying performance parts for a car.

Isn't a bolt on performance cylinder exactly what you're talking about? Otherwise, there's dual port mufflers, and you can bolt on larger carbs from other saws. You do have to figure out which carb, though. There's not very many parts to a two stroke motor. Not gonna find a big cam and a high flow intake manifold...

Market for high performance saw parts is not as big, as market for high performance parts for cars. Because of that, the profit margins are not big enough for companies to deal with EPA regs, liability issues and so on.
Even in a high performance car industry the best parts and engines are modified and built by hand. Greatness of the final product depends on a builder on the end. In some cases motor is built, and suspension tuned for a specific track, and driving strategy. That's why guys that build our saws for living are irreplaceable, they built that specific saw for our specific need, that is mostly different from person to person.
Just my opinion and wild guess, I may be completely off.

Latest posts

Back