It's 2016 to hell with porting...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When is somebody going to start manufacturing aftermarket saw performance parts? Why can't we produce cylinders with the perfect timing numbers that the porting guys have figured out? It's much easier to bolt on a ported cylinder, and it's much easier to caste a cylinder with ported timing numbers than to actually grind one. It just seems like we should have figured this out.

'New recipes' would quickly render them obsolete and you'd be stuck with most of 'em...

The reason they dont come from the factory as "high performance" saws is the same reason you by your kid a honda civic or something as a first car. Reliable performance is vastly more important to the average saw owner than the maximum power acheivable from each cc. Ive seen saws where the prior owner literally wrote in permanent marker on the saw which reservoir was bar oil, and which was for mixed gas, and still managed to straight gas it.....
How did you get a hold of my first 346 cus. You should return it to me, my mailing adress is on the inside of the top cover :laugh:.

We're getting closer to having stock saws perform as well as ported saws. I have a 550XP that is totally stock. In fact, it's the only saw I have in that condition: not even a muffler mod. Every time I cut with this saw I just can't believe it's a stock 50cc saw. It just flat out hauls ass through oak/hickory/sweet gum, etc.
The other half of the equation is the chain. With all the gov't regs about anti-kick back, it's a surprise that these new chains even cut at all! I put a new loop of 73 LG chain on my neighbor's saw and he couldn't believe how well the saw cut. He said he didn't even need to push the saw through the wood. Imagine that!

When is somebody going to start manufacturing aftermarket saw performance parts? Why can't we produce cylinders with the perfect timing numbers that the porting guys have figured out? It's much easier to bolt on a ported cylinder, and it's much easier to caste a cylinder with ported timing numbers than to actually grind one. It just seems like we should have figured this out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
EPA

I was referring to why thereally not "ported" or have the same timing numbers that the builders give them from the factory.

My guess why there is no after parts market is that there is not enough demand for some one to tool up to make say jugs to just drop on.

TL I know does offer a similar service with jugs to buy to put on your saw

I was referring to why thereally not "ported" or have the same timing numbers that the builders give them from the factory.

My guess why there is no after parts market is that there is not enough demand for some one to tool up to make say jugs to just drop on.

TL I know does offer a similar service with jugs to buy to put on your saw

I'm just going to quote this and repeat that there are bolt on performance cylinders. I hear a new Cross Performance ms661 cylinder was right behind a custom ported 661 that mastermind did.

So, there is apparently enough demand, and someone did tool up jugs to just drop on.

I'm just going to quote this and repeat that there are bolt on performance cylinders. I hear a new Cross Performance ms661 cylinder was right behind a custom ported 661 that mastermind did.

So, there is apparently enough demand, and someone did tool up jugs to just drop on.
Yea I kind of walked that statement back when in a post I referred to Terry Landrum had cylinders made up to buy to just drop on your saw and go.

Yea I kind of walked that statement back when in a post I referred to Terry Landrum had cylinders made up to buy to just drop on your saw and go.

This is true but he was porting them. As has been posted cross performance is doing exactly what I was asking about. Casting cylinders with better timing.

This is true but he was porting them. As has been posted cross performance is doing exactly what I was asking about. Casting cylinders with better timing.

Right...I didn't even catch that Suttle difference

The reason they dont come from the factory as "high performance" saws is the same reason you by your kid a honda civic or something as a first car. Reliable performance is vastly more important to the average saw owner than the maximum power acheivable from each cc. Ive seen saws where the prior owner literally wrote in permanent marker on the saw which reservoir was bar oil, and which was for mixed gas, and still managed to straight gas it.....
LMMFFAO!

Only losing 4-5 mins a tank runtime
So your losing 4-5mins run time from a M/modd & one of your 'razor' chains and offer these services for $100...correct? What's the point, I'd take a stock saw over the fabz bolt on performance kit (bolt on meaning you fit a fab-chain with razor specs). Lol ya funny!

Performance kit is around 80 if u ship me muffler ... I mod to my specs and ship u back muffler and razer chain ground to my specs ... bolt - on performance ... on 241c 40-45% gains with this kit ... other models your gains may vary ... I have utube vids of the 241c ; 261c and 362c at Fabzacres ... thank u for your interest
So we all like bolt on mods like big bore kits, what is actually bolted on in your 'bolt on performance kit'? Any pic of kit or 'razor' chain.

Alright, we're back in action!!

I was starting to miss you Fabz.

In all seriousness, you're charging $80 for a new chain and a hole in a muffler, right? I'm just curious how this can compete with a standard port job. I mean, the chain is nice, I'm sure, but a super fast chain is only super fast until it's dull. Then the user will sharpen it as good as they know how, and they're left with a regular chain and a hole in their muffler.

Back