Its a good thing I got that 28" bar!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did not decide they needed to come down, my dad did.

He wants to build a new pole shed to replace the one that was lost to a heavy snow load WHILE DAD WAS IN IT, and two or three of them lean over the spot where he wants to build it, so he wants them gone so they don't fall on it. The other one is out in the middle of a pasture and he just wants it gone. He is growing 20-40 baby oaks in the greenhouse and wants to plant them in the pasture to make an oak forest to help with firewood someday. The reason I say 20-40 is because not all of them are poking up yet. He also planted some apple trees south of the house a few years ago and should be getting some fruit this year.

You can do as you want, but bass wood is a waste as fire wood from the get go.

On the other hand wood carvers love the stuff, and will drop hard coin to get it.

My advice is wait and see if you can come up with money for these trees. A lot of money.

Ever hear the sayin' "To Bark up the wrong tree"? This tree is where it comes from. This is the tree to bark up, which means make cordage from the inner bark. Then the bark as whole, both outter and inner combined can be worked into a one piece basket.

To do these things the season is important.

If this floats yer stick any, send me a pm. because it isn't worth the time to text it if it is just for crap fire wood no matter what is said.

The bark is another way to get money.

3 kinds of folks would like most of that tree.

Cordwainers, basket makers and artists..

These days a cordwainer would also be a basket maker probably.

I agree with Mac-muz. Basswood is excellent carving wood and someone might lay out big cash for the trees. You might check with a forester about those possibilities first. Just a thought.

Hey,
Just a hint, read the MS660 thread. Things can go bad very quickly. Again, something that is that big has the tendency to go very bad very quick. There is just something about big wood even when you know where it will fall that makes you a bit nervous. If you are not, you are in even more trouble.
Chad

just think a 42" bar on 90cc isnt even comeing close to going half way through it.

??? what am i missing, a 42 inch bar isnt half of a 70 inch tree?

Size and bar reality

Fallers here use 36"-42" bars to cut down trees that are over 96", even 144". Course they are real westcoast fallers. Biggest trees I have fellled are under 60" and under 150' tall. I guess you could cut down that tree with an 020! If you had too. I would like a 395 or similar.

42" bar

the 42" bar adds up bigger yes:) now the reason for a longer bar is it provides 2 things safety because of length of bar means less chance of a skunk stripe that could cause the tree to go wrong and less multiple cuts to remove all the wood fiber :clap:

a person can cut a tree bigger then their bar length within a few inches by doing the a double bore and fanning cut. this is beyond the scope of homeowners and most firewood hackers. the double bore and fanning technique is extremely dangerous because of kick back. i will not explain how to do it for liability reasons:)

I am more than aware of the advantages of a bigger bar, and different ways to cut a tree down that is bigger than you bar, I have a 42 incher for my 066, I was simply trying to figure out what even meant, but thanks anyway.

woooooops yes 42" bar would be past half way across but not even close to going the distance bought 30"s short.

i wonder if a hole bunch of root flare could be cut off and get this thing wittled down some before putn any cuts in it

According to the "National Register of Big Trees", there are 4 registered basswoods with a diameter north of 7 feet in the US, the couple I checked were about 7 1/2. I didn't know they got that big.

Even if they are 6 foot, a 28" bar will be the minimum I would even consider, but would want at least a 36".

Block the basswood up for carving blanks and sell them. Worthless for firewood unless you like to haul wood into the fireplace.

Both are small hick-towns. Downing might be lucky do have 200-300 people. I think Colfax is half way between the north pole and the equator and has like 700 people. I will ask my wife to be the camera operator, since both the Nikon and video camera are hers. She just lets me use em. I will try and get video and stop-motion of trees coming down. Well, maybe focus on video, pictures don't move or have sound!!!!

Send me a message when your cuttin them down, I live about 45 minutes from Colfax and wouldnt mind helping for the fun and the learning experience.

Fallers here use 36"-42" bars to cut down trees that are over 96", even 144". Course they are real westcoast fallers. Biggest trees I have fellled are under 60" and under 150' tall. I guess you could cut down that tree with an 020! If you had too. I would like a 395 or similar.

what type of technique is used to cut a 96" trunk with a 36" bar? I just cut firewood in my backyard and am curious how something like this can be done. To me it seems impossible.

what type of technique is used to cut a 96" trunk with a 36" bar? I just cut firewood in my backyard and am curious how something like this can be done. To me it seems impossible.

Trees up to 2x the reach are simply done by making the backcut from 2 sides. For trees over 2x the bar reach you plunge cut through the hinge to take out the center that is out of reach form the sides before you take out the material on the sides of the back cut.

As a fellow MS 390 owner, I admire you isaaccarlson. I find my MS 390 to be quite awesome indeed, and unlike your saw, it is not modded.

just this last sunday i cut down a 30in. diameter basswood trunk with my mac 610 and a 24in bar. When it fell in noticed almost a 1/4 to 1/2 of the trunk was rotted. It was only the trunk i cut and it was almost 30 foot long. Basswoods are known to break off around 1/4 to 1/2 way up. 2 basswoods fell on my dads driveway 3 years ago durring a storm. Thats how unpredictable them trees are. So stay safe when cutt'n those trees down. The might explode on impact when they hit the ground.

Last edited:
i honestly dont think a 28" bar will cut it. Maybe you should get a ms 460/660 or just have a professional do it, just to dangerous with such a small saw

Back