It's here!!!!............Inside the MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 395 parts to clean, but first things first :) I got the Tsumura T&L bar in the mail today, along with a new loop of Stihl RS chain. Here she is, still on her first tank of fuel.

Here's my 390XP, different B&C, although the exact same specs. This chain has been filed.

The MS661 isn't going to equal the 390XP, but I think it probably has the edge in torque, especially considering it has almost no run time on it. I'll know more when we get them in the same wood with cut times all the way through the log.

Brad, your 661 looks like a great one! Impressive how fast it's cutting that dry white ash when it's that tight yet. Ash is really only average density but very dry when already cut. In hardwoods your modded 661 would be a demon with a 24" or 28" b&c in bigger wood. You're going to make a lot of people sick of their 660s!

I finished that up Saturday. I have not had a chance to sharpen the chain or make a new vid. Last night I had to get on the roof and re-caulk around the chimney. Tonight I had to install a garbage disposal. It might be the weekend before I get to it. Sorry guys. When you don't get home until 30 minutes before sunset, that doesn't leave much time.

Well, that was a waste of time

That 390 sounds to hold rpms better in the cut vs the 661. Of course the 661 has no run time or break in time on it yet. Brad, what is the cranking psi of them saws? Care to share what you did to the 661?

I've got 395 parts to clean, but first things first :) I got the Tsumura T&L bar in the mail today, along with a new loop of Stihl RS chain. Here she is, still on her first tank of fuel.

Here's my 390XP, different B&C, although the exact same specs. This chain has been filed.

The MS661 isn't going to equal the 390XP, but I think it probably has the edge in torque, especially considering it has almost no run time on it. I'll know more when we get them in the same wood with cut times all the way through the log.

How's the "other" one coming ;)

That 390 sounds to hold rpms better in the cut vs the 661. Of course the 661 has no run time or break in time on it yet. Brad, what is the cranking psi of them saws? Care to share what you did to the 661?
I would have been shocked if the 661 made the RPMs of a 390XP. They are simply insane the way they run. Compression on this 661 was 178. I don't recall what the 390XP is, but it's under 200 PSI.

I would have been shocked if the 661 made the RPMs of a 390XP. They are simply insane the way they run. Compression on this 661 was 178. I don't recall what the 390XP is, but it's under 200 PSI.
Healthy comp on both saws. Curious what the 661 goes up to as more run time gets on it. I never ran a 390 but it seems i may have to find one to rip on. Lol. So, what is squish on both saws? You care to reveal what you did to the 661? Popup? Machine base? Port timing? Ignition timing advance? One thing for sure is that you surely can lean on that 661 more and the chain stays going, instead of it just falling on its face and the chain stopping.

Healthy comp on both saws. Curious what the 661 goes up to as more run time gets on it. I never ran a 390 but it seems i may have to find one to rip on. Lol. So, what is squish on both saws? You care to reveal what you did to the 661? Popup? Machine base? Port timing? Ignition timing advance? One thing for sure is that you surely can lean on that 661 more and the chain stays going, instead of it just falling on its face and the chain stopping.
That's back in the thread somewhere.

390xp looked a lot faster. Good job. Yea that wood did look very hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back