It's here!!!!............Inside the MS661

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no dog in that fight , i have a few with pop ups and a few with the squish cut and they all run good..i was just speakin for the users who dont have a lathe..the benefits of cutting the squish band are more favorable for the average guy who can just spin a pop up if need be..aside from the performance you guys say is there.

Agreed.

I've got 395 parts to clean, but first things first :) I got the Tsumura T&L bar in the mail today, along with a new loop of Stihl RS chain. Here she is, still on her first tank of fuel.

Here's my 390XP, different B&C, although the exact same specs. This chain has been filed.

The MS661 isn't going to equal the 390XP, but I think it probably has the edge in torque, especially considering it has almost no run time on it. I'll know more when we get them in the same wood with cut times all the way through the log.

Nice! & that 390xp runs like something else, revs to the moon from the sound of it.

I understand pistons arent somethin your changin every 90 days.

But **** happens now and then.

speed or not , just from a practical standpoint..cuttin the squish makes sense to me.. even if it was slower..idk..i guess the proof will be in brads pudding :).

Yep. My 365 I lost a piston to due to crank bearing failure. Just had to slap another one in there. Crap happens....

I hope to see all the test saws make a speed cut, then all of em dawged in and levered on. Only true way to see power in a video...

Yep. My 365 I lost a piston to due to crank bearing failure. Just had to slap another one in there. Crap happens....

I hope to see all the test saws make a speed cut, then all of em dawged in and levered on. Only true way to see power in a video...

I could add to that speed vs torque thing..stumpy cut the squishy band on my 2172..prior to that all i heard was how "bad" OE 372's were...and they are..but..i had a ported OE 372 done by "another guy" with a pop-up and im sure it was faster on them square things with guys watchin that had stopwatches in hand..but after that 2172 got loose it certainly had more torque..apples to oranges i suppose..

I have to agree with that last statement...I had 4 different OE 372's by differnt builders and they would kill the 372 xtorques in a little square can't.....but put a 24" or bigger bar on it and put some weight on it and it was a totally different story. Sorry to derail.....

I have to agree with that last statement...I had 4 different OE 372's by differnt builders and they would kill the 372 xtorques in a little square can't.....but put a 24" or bigger bar on it and put some weight on it and it was a totally different story. Sorry to derail.....

Spot on in my eyes too mang..stratos are slugs til after a few gallons..i personally think my 2172 would have a OE's lunch with 28" in some hard wood.

Back on the 661...I really like mine....I just stock for now. I prefer the smooth broad torque it seems to have over say a 2188/390. Of course the day before I was running a 395 that was ported buried with a 36". That baby would not win any race against anything in under 30" wood.....but bury the bar and only the clutch was the limiting factor....:muscle:

Totally agree with u Ryan....put a 28" on that 2172 bury the bar with a little muscle and those little OE 372 would get smacked around:)

Maybe I missed it... But where is the comparison video of that stock 661 you've got there vs the ported 661???

The 390 does not need the exhaust lowered like the 660 does to run good. The exhaust on my 390 is at 96°. A popup is a valuable tool if you need to get the exhaust down our more compression than you can get with a popup. Neither are the case here. A tiny .035" bump does not kill performance.

I don't know why you guys are bent on turning this into a popup vs squishband discussion. Essentially, your trying to turn this into a builder vs builder thing. I'm doing everything I can to not take this there. How about helping me do that?

Popup are not the only thing we do differently. Our build styles are very different. Why can't we leave it at that?

Meet Christmas. How about that 661! :rock:

The 390 does not need the exhaust lowered like the 660 does to run good. The exhaust on my 390 is at 96°. A popup is a valuable tool if you need to get the exhaust down our more compression than you can get with a popup. Neither are the case here. A tiny .035" bump does not kill performance.

I don't know why you guys are bent on turning this into a popup vs squishband discussion. Essentially, your trying to turn this into a builder vs builder thing. I'm doing everything I can to not take this there. How about helping me do that?

Popup are not the only thing we do differently. Our build styles are very different. Why can't we leave it at that?

Meet Christmas. How about that 661! :rock:

No since in getting all riled up, brad.

All I've ever shared on this site is my own personal experience. Things I have witnessed, built, destroyed, tested, etc, etc...

You praise your 390, and rightly so. It's fast. Was real fast with a race chain at my last gtg u were at. Nothing would touch it in the 6 cube class.

But it's built totally different than the others you do, and you've never compared the two side by side, same B&C, same wood, yada, yada, yada? I just don't understand how you can say they run the same, that's all.

Your welcome to spin pop-ups all you want my friend. We've talked, I gave you my experience vs the two different methods. I know what I've seen and witnessed.

But please don't make statements that you haven't actually tested. Who knows, you may be 100% right. Your Pop-up 390's may just walk the dog on your squish banded 390. And to be honest, at this point, I hope they do. I've been wrong before, and it won't kill me to be wrong again...

Sorry for the thread derailment. I'll not clutter it up anymore....

I simply don't understand why this needs to be in this thread, which is about the 661. I'm not the one that brought up the topic. I have my experiences and reasons as well, and they don't all point to a squishband built saw being better. I refuse to get into all those details. I'm not interested in a me vs you or a me vs anyone debate. I'm simply saying that a cut squishband is absolutely not needed to make a 390 run like mine. I've built enough to know that. No, they're not totally unlike mine, as suggested. The only difference is a little .035" bump on the crown of the piston. I know how my saws run. Why call me riled up? I'm simply replying to the accusations you brought to me, in a thread where they don't belong. This horse is dead.

I simply don't understand why this needs to be in this thread, which is about the 661. I'm not the one that brought up the topic. I have my experiences and reasons as well, and they don't all point to a squishband built saw being better. I refuse to get into all those details. I'm not interested in a me vs you or a me vs anyone debate. I'm simply saying that a cut squishband is absolutely not needed to make a 390 run like mine. I've built enough to know that. No, they're not totally unlike mine, as suggested. The only difference is a little .035" bump on the crown of the piston. I know how my saws run. Why call me riled up? I'm simply replying to the accusations you brought to me, in a thread where they don't belong. This horse is dead.

Brad, did y'all find the wood?

When will we get to see them run?
I wanna See It!! ;)

Did y'all decide on what kinda chain, bar length, Yada, Yada, Yada?

Run 'Em

Seriously, am I on ignore for all of AS?

When did 'I forgot I hit something with the chain' become an acceptable excuse when comparing stock vs ported saw gains???

Just post an unedited video of the two 661's running the same chain. I don't see the problem with that, unless the ported one is slower then stock?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back